January Transfers 2019/20

sne

1 hour ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

Based on tonight's performances of the second string I would suggest our top priority is indeed a left back so I hope that link is true. 

Nothing wrong with Taylor and Hause as backups. Targett will remain the first team left back this season.

We have priorities elsewhere on the pitch, namely up front and on the wing.

For me the number one priority remains the midfield. We need someone big and physical with some skill. Against teams like Sheffield, Burnley and West ham we need someone who is bigger an stronger than their lads to outfight them in the centre of the park. We also have very poor movement off the ball and hopefully a new signing could help sort that out. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MotoMkali said:

For me the number one priority remains the midfield. We need someone big and physical with some skill. Against teams like Sheffield, Burnley and West ham we need someone who is bigger an stronger than their lads to outfight them in the centre of the park. We also have very poor movement off the ball and hopefully a new signing could help sort that out. 

Isn’t Marvelous that player?

4 hours ago, MotoMkali said:

And once we have all that,what are we going to actually do with the ball ?...... Pass it to Wesley

• Like 1

17 hours ago, TRO said:

I agree with that......during our finest hours in the late seventies and early eighties, it was quite clear, we had a midas touch for it , much like Leicester do now.

We bought in players that was never heard of and turned them in to gold.

We have never really been a club renowned for buying well at the top of the market....I don't think we have ever had the consistent network to capitalise on it.....we have always had our toe in and out of the water.

Wasnt that because we had our own version of Peter Taylor in Tony Barton who spotted a lot of the players at that time.

• Like 2

Thomas Lemar available for a 6month loan from Atletico as long as there's an agreement to buy at loans end.

92k in wages per week and Atletico looking to recoup a hefty sum of the 72million they paid for him, think the Villa board will go there? (joke)

I mean he's 24, so fits the profile for our recruitment policy well enough!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, A'Villan said:

Thomas Lemar available for a 6month loan from Atletico as long as there's an agreement to buy at loans end.

92k in wages per week and Atletico looking to recoup a hefty sum of the 72million they paid for him, think the Villa board will go there? (joke)

I mean he's 24, so fits the profile for our recruitment policy well enough!

Suso to use his Athletico contacts🤔🤞🏻 ... One can dream as it’s probs a season too soon for us to realistically be in with a shot but a good shout ! He is Just the next level quality we need. 

Edited by thabucks
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

Isn’t Marvelous that player?

Marvelous is neither big nor physical? He is very good at getting a foot in on tackles and breaking up play against the lesser teams but doesn't offer much else, if he retains the ball after winning it usually it results in a sideways or backwards pass.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, zab6359 said:

Marvelous is neither big nor physical? He is very good at getting a foot in on tackles and breaking up play against the lesser teams but doesn't offer much else, if he retains the ball after winning it usually it results in a sideways or backwards pass.

That's perfectly fine. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

I think Marvelous has done well for us, for me, he’s one of the first names on the teamsheet for me

Yep - would like a lump as an option though, particularly as we have nobody else capable of playing CDM IMO. 

7 hours ago, NIVillan said:

Wasnt that because we had our own version of Peter Taylor in Tony Barton who spotted a lot of the players at that time.

bang on the money.....we underestimated him imo.

I think get a striker and a winger and we’re fairly well set. I won’t mention any names as it’s likely I’ll never have heard of the people we sign but a small agile quick striker and a quick winger that can cross and take a player on please!

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

I think get a striker and a winger and we’re fairly well set. I won’t mention any names as it’s likely I’ll never have heard of the people we sign but a small agile quick striker and a quick winger that can cross and take a player on please!

Competition for Wes and Trez. They'll either up their game and command a first team spot, or be replaced by the new pair. Win win.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, thabucks said:

Suso to use his Athletico contacts🤔🤞🏻 ... One can dream as it’s probs a season too soon for us to realistically be in with a shot but a good shout ! He is Just the next level quality we need. 

I think while we are capable of making such financial investments, our owners won't until they are confident that the outlay will receive a return on investment.

If Smith is not capable of achieving European placing as a consequence of his own resourcefulness and skill, then the board won't bankroll him to punch above his weight.

Player recruitment will be critical, but I don't see us spending the likes of 70million as a statement of our ambitions, just to potentially have the likes of Lemar flop.

Our statement of ambition will be that we recruit hungry and ambitious people to fill the roles required to fulfill the goals of the club.

Resources and investment will be paid in time, interest, workrate and commitment to working towards achieving our targets, as opposed to financial clout and statements.

Wes Edens made his money as far as I'm aware, he didn't knock people off to acquire it, and he didn't inherit it either. There's a sound understanding for economics in Edens.

• Like 1