January Transfers 2019/20

sne

I'm not usually one to buy in to and be fussed by this big club stuff but the striker we want signing for Palace freeing up one of their rejects to sign for us would be a right kick in the bollocks

Benteke might get the crowd going and get a buzz around VP but that's it, that's the only poisitve I can see, he's finished as a PL player 

• Like 2

Anyone mentioning Benteke hasn't bothered to look up his woeful returns at Palace going back to 17/18. Ayew is the far better striker at Palace atm and no one would suggest getting him back. Misplaced nostalgia

Edited by Kiwivillan
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

Anyone mentioning Benteke hasn't bothered to look up his woeful returns at Palace going back to 17/18. Ayew is the far better striker at Palace atm and no one would suggest getting him back. Misplaced nostalgia

Everybody clamoring for the backup striker from a side that has 19 goals in 21 league matches. What a time to be alive.

41 minutes ago, M_Afro said:

I want me a Mateta after watching that clip. Big, fast, strong, skilful, good in the air. What’s not to like. I think it would “mean no worries, for the rest of our days”

Try and get baby brother Bacuna in as well so we could sport Bacuna Mateta.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Benteke is a romantic and nostalgic notion that is almost certainly never going to happen. Sometimes a player is just... gone and that's that. We had the absolute best of him. Nobody else got close. He has never even remotely looked like regaining that level. An imposter lives in his skin.

The most complete striker I have ever seen at Villa. Going back will only tarnish the memory.

Only if he came back on a free or pay as you play contract to prove himself. And thats not feasible.

Edited by Mazrim
  • Like 4

5 minutes ago, VillaHatesMe said:

Everybody clamoring for the backup striker from a side that has 19 goals in 21 league matches. What a time to be alive.

Benteke last league goal for Palace was April 2019 which was his first since April 2018

• Like 2

Benteke is done. He would fill a shirt, and that's it. The player that scored ridiculous goals in a dreadful Villa team is long, long gone. Injuries have done him and the Liverpool move destroyed his confidence.

Real barrel scraping.

• Like 2

Sturridge is better than Benteke.

There's a reason that Sturridge has half a decade longer in the PL despite only being a year Benteke's senior.

Despite this, Sturridge has played less games than Benteke, but maintains a better strike rate, albeit almost identical.

If it weren't for the injuries Sturridge has endured and may well continue to have, I'd take him over Benteke.

There's a case for taking both on, but I think there's better alternatives, and we will be looking to explore those alternatives.

Edited by A'Villan

According to this: https://www.premierleague.com/stats/top/clubs/big_chance_created

We're 10th in the league on "Big Chances Created". And all of the teams above us have established, fit strikers who are in form.

So if you're a striker looking to impress ahead of the Euros, where better to go in the PL than Villa? You'll be leading the line and you won't be feeding off scraps.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

According to this: https://www.premierleague.com/stats/top/clubs/big_chance_created

We're 10th in the league on "Big Chances Created". And all of the teams above us have established, fit strikers who are in form.

So if you're a striker looking to impress ahead of the Euros, where better to go in the PL than Villa? You'll be leading the line and you won't be feeding off scraps.

If anyone has contact details for Olivier Giroud's agent, please feel free to send this to him btw.

3 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

If anyone has contact details for Olivier Giroud's agent, please feel free to send this to him btw.

Of the names floated about "with PL experience" I would definitely take a punt on Giroud

Just spoke to a mate who's an Arsenal season ticket holder and he reckons Giroud would be a great loan or buy for Villa. Good injury record, good attitude, excellent all round game. And his game doesn't rely on pace, so should still be useful for a while.

However, he did say that to get the best out of Giroud in open play you need quick players around him, so we are back to that Wesley situation in some ways (but with a significantly more dangerous goalscorer). Question is can we surround him with enough pace and quality to get the most from him?

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

Yeah but we are probably also top for ‘Big chances created against’.

If we are going to stay up we are going to have to sacrifice our all out attack abit 

9 hours ago, useless said:

Seems like we might want a new goalkeeper after all...

That makes a lot of sense, Dean had wanted another keeper in the summer and Heaton's injury, puts us back into the same situation as we were in back then.

He would have had to have changed his opinion on our other goalkeepers abilities since then, if he wasn't looking to bring in another one to cover Tom's long term absence.