I can just see our line-up after following that approach:

--------------------- Glenn Murray ------------------------

------- Grealish ------------------ Billy Sharp ---------

Taylor -------- Whelan ----- Nakamba ---- Elmo

------ Engels ------ Mings ---- Phil Bardsley -----

------------------------ Nyland -------------------------------

All of them except Murray playing in the RB position 

• Like 3

Many here seem to be sold on Giroud, me not so much. Yes he’d be another body in the squad but he doesn’t really bring goals. I understand the argument some are making with regard to his International worth with France, but I think we need to balance that with the fact he was supported/surrounded by the likes of Mbappe & Griezmann. Top quality. We really don’t have goal scorers like that. So IF Giroud comes in then it needs to be in tandem with goal scoring inside forwards, as we don’t look like getting enough via ElGhazi or Trézéguet.
Id love Mitrovic but we ain’t going to get him away from Fulham, unfortunately. I think we might end up with a Marega or Mateta, as others have mentioned here. Whatever will be, will be. We have to trust Dean Smith and associated men in suits to make the right calls. 

• Like 1

i hope giroud isn't reading this thread...the reviews of the city of newcastle are so appealing that even i'm tempted to see if they'll take me on loan!

come to brum Olivier...ignore this lot, it's much nicer than Newcastle

• Like 3

Think we need to be realistic about who we can sign this window. We need tried and tested PL players ideally. Clubs won't let their best players go in this window. Giroud is definitely the best we can hope for. 

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

Proper team that. Run through brick walls. Give 110% every game. Get their boots on. Be proper up for the fight. They'd be at it every game. Proper lads. Proper characters. Proper professionals. Proper shit.

We just need to sign Davy Propper from Brighton....

... then we'd also have a proper Propper.

:trollface:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

As lovely as living in Newcastle sounds I think the most important non football thing for any players coming in on short term contracts or loans to them or us  is that there is an airport (or helicopter launch platform) so they can get the h out of dodge when they have some time off :DCanals, parks, historic buildings, theaters or cock-fighting contests and what not will be less important.

So we at least equal with Newcastle in the non football stuff.

Then again Newcastle loves them a number 9...

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, sne said:

As lovely as living in Newcastle sounds I think the most important non football thing for any players coming in on short term contracts or loans to them or us  is that there is an airport (or helicopter launch platform) so they can get the h out of dodge when they have some time off :DCanals, parks, historic buildings, theaters or cock-fighting contests and what not will be less important.

So we at least equal with Newcastle in the non football stuff.

Then again Newcastle loves them a number 9...

Aye, he can stick his world cup up his backside, it do not get bigger and better than wearing the famous no.9

51 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

Proper team that. Run through brick walls. Give 110% every game. Get their boots on. Be proper up for the fight. They'd be at it every game. Proper lads. Proper characters. Proper professionals. Proper shit.

Their socks would be the highest pulled up socks in the league, they'd reach the butthole if they were long enough.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, wilko154 said:

Might struggle with signings this window.

Just seen a photo of Newcastle this morning, looks more appealing than Birmingham...

waikikibeach1.jpg

As can be seen in this photo Newcastle is a beautiful city (never realised it was that close to Tynemouth). What this photo does not really display though is that it is minus bloody 20 most of the year! No self respecting Frenchman is gonna fancy that.

56 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

Honestly wish we still had Grabban. He knows how to score

The same Grabban who last time was in the Premier League for Bournemouth scored 0 goals in 18 games.

He's only ever scored once in Premier League and that was for Norwich in 2015/2016 season

He isn't a Premier League level striker.

Edited by Villan4Life
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Yep but Sunderland on the other hand...

Nothing wrong with Sunderland either, 3 x lovely beaches. I went to the Sunderland stadium it's mot bad once your in it.

Every place is nice until you decide not to make it nice. You always get the bad mixed with the good, trick is never entertain the bad or you make it part of your life and that's what makes places feel horrible.

Choices, it all comes down to choice.

15 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Where is that really?

Somewhere with palm trees, Los Angeles or the hood perhaps where they shoot the ball or transport drugs in football's rather than kick it 🤣

11 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

I don't think selling Hourihane for £6m is good value. We know he can do it in the division below if we go down; there's not much point losing that unless it's for enough money to make a real difference.

I agree not this month as that would be bonkers but if this interest is credible I'd tell them to come back at the end of the season. Ultimately Hourihane has been a squad player this season, not the worst player by a long way but dosen't have enough about his game to be automatic prem starter.

We still need to balance the books if we stay up and invest more in our squad otherwise wage bill starts to spiral out of control like it did between 2008-10.