Police state or the state of policing

tonyh29

On 14/03/2021 at 13:01, dAVe80 said:

Say what you like about him, there would be no chance of Labour abstaining on this bill (or the spycops bill) under his leadership. There is a thread to debate the ins and outs of his leadership vs Starmer, and we should try not to derail this thread too much, but to get back to the point, Labour under Corbyn would have unequivocally supported the vigil, and opposed all the current erosion of the right to protest. 

Agreed. I may have mentioned I didn't rate the bloke as a leader, but that's spot on. So much so that @avfcDJ's comment

On 14/03/2021 at 12:40, avfcDJ said:

Imagine the outcry if that was Corbyn 

Is kind of non-credible, because you can't imagine him doing it.

In terms of the Police and the Met in particular, what they did is kind of typical, I think. They asked people not to congregate/assemble (which is fair enough, given it's banned because of the corollafungus), then when they ignored that, they tried to tell them to disperse, which was ignored, and then they piled in with OTT zealousness, their default attitude. The thought that the assembly was prompted by one of their number doing a murder (allegedly) of a woman seems not to have been factored in to their approach to the women gathered in her memory. Which was a massive and highly counter-productive mistake.

In terms of the Crime bill and plans to essentially outlaw protest etc. if it passes (which needs stopping) then there's going to be a lot more of this kind of thing. Essentially "illegal" gatherings and protests and more heavy handed policing and then court cases where jurors refuse to convict, or where people get sent down for 10 years for protesting against something which is popular - e.g. jurors might be likely to convict people protesting for their demand to allow fox-hunting - fox hunting (in this example) is unpopular, so jurors might be more inclined to convict a fox hunter enthusiast than, say a anti Airport expansion protester - even though the "crime" would be the same.

8 hours ago, Lichfield Dean said:

So today we find out whether we can be put in prison for ten years for "putting someone at risk of serious annoyance"

What kind of country is this we are living in...

China?

Can someone explain to me what these protests are trying to achieve?. Don't the current rules of the land already do what they want or are they aiming it at potential attackers to think again.

Having said that the scenes on Saturday night where an absolute shambles and the police should have been told that on no account were they to get drawn in to any physical altercations with protestors as it's just feed the frenzy.

52 minutes ago, mykeyb said:

Can someone explain to me what these protests are trying to achieve?. Don't the current rules of the land already do what they want or are they aiming it at potential attackers to think again.

Having said that the scenes on Saturday night where an absolute shambles and the police should have been told that on no account were they to get drawn in to any physical altercations with protestors as it's just feed the frenzy.

I’ll have a go at an answer, but someone more knowledgeable than me will probably be better.

Saturday was a vigil, I guess with bringing a sense of togetherness and support for women who feel vulnerable. Symbolic solidarity as much as anything. I don’t think it was intended as a protest. However, in some sections, it became more of a protest along the lines of “we’re not taking this abuse anymore/the police should let us mourn” (my interpretation/wording). 

The gathering in parliament square today was more of a protest from the off and was partly to do with the heavy handed nature of the police response to the vigil and also to do with proposed bill put forward by the government and to be voted on tomorrow.

These two things have essentially collided at the same time.

1 hour ago, chrisp65 said:

I think perhaps some women are just getting fed up with the current state of things. They do get a bit delicate about rape and murder.

One way of dealing with it, would be to reduce the number of police, reduce access to justice, release repeat offenders early, and promise stiffer sentences for the convicted.

Another way of dealing with it could be a systematic review of how we design streets, and public transport, and people’s attitudes towards women being out in the dark. We could teach more about mutual respect, rights, basic good behaviour. We could have more police, or street ambassadors, or whatever but change their role to be a bit more public servant orientated.

I don’t know, I genuinely don’t know half of what goes on, or half of what women think we could do to change it. 

I do know the current rules of the land and their enforcement absolutely do not do what they want. 

Luckily, our astute Home Secretary has a plan...

7 hours ago, Mark Albrighton said:

I’ll have a go at an answer, but someone more knowledgeable than me will probably be better.

Saturday was a vigil, I guess with bringing a sense of togetherness and support for women who feel vulnerable. Symbolic solidarity as much as anything. I don’t think it was intended as a protest. However, in some sections, it became more of a protest along the lines of “we’re not taking this abuse anymore/the police should let us mourn” (my interpretation/wording). 

The gathering in parliament square today was more of a protest from the off and was partly to do with the heavy handed nature of the police response to the vigil and also to do with proposed bill put forward by the government and to be voted on tomorrow.

These two things have essentially collided at the same time.

I have a wife and a daughter and you would expect as a minimum they would be safe to walk outside at night. I also have a son and expect him to be the same.

Yes I guess that any attacks either verbal or physical will be carried out by males and it's already against the law so not sure what else can be expected to be done. The call for 6.00pm curfews are quite plainly ridiculous.

In my opinion it's a reflection of where we are with society and attitudes need to change and that could take a generation to change. Let's hope it does.

That’s nothing, in Australia uniformed officers patrol through popular bars with sniffer dogs in tow on a Friday and Saturday night.

It puts a bit of a damper on your after work drinks when two cops are standing by your table and a police dog is sniffing round your pockets. 

Â