Police state or the state of policing

tonyh29

Still pretending that being gathered outside is a serious risk of Covid transmission then, despite a year of data in the spreading of the virus and multiple examples of much bigger protests here and around the world that didn't become superspreading events. 

No surprise the Met would lie of course, the disappointment is that I can't expect to see our supine journalists challenge them on the point. 

4 hours ago, darrenm said:

Abstain apparently.

I'm sure an emergency focus group is being set up and the results will give Labour enough confidence that the 1% of swingable Daily Mail readers won't be too put off if they vote against it.

Further confirmation:

Contemptible cowardice. I wonder if that's going to last the day, would surely be a lot of resignations if it did.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, HanoiVillan said:

Further confirmation:

Contemptible cowardice. I wonder if that's going to last the day, would surely be a lot of resignations if it did.

With that they have lost me. **** em. **** em all. Bunch of words removed. Voted labour through the thin times with the hope that the useless rocket polishers could muster some sort of threat. They have lost me and I can now vote green with a clear conscience. words removed. 

• Like 3

I was firmly in the camp of "anyone but Corbyn would be smashing the tories right now", and was all for Starmer as a steady pair of hands to lead Labour back in to government. How wrong I was.

• Like 4

Interesting to see that the same heavy handed policing approach wasnt taken at the gatherings in Liverpool and Glasgow after their respective teams won the title. 

Young women, easy target. For police in uniform and plain clothes police officer predators too apparently. 

Edited by StefanAVFC
  • Like 4

45 minutes ago, ml1dch said:

Decent predictive powers. Now planning to vote against apparently. 

As others have said, it shouldn't have taken last night to force them into a position. 

You either have to laugh or cry I guess:

'This is no time to be rushing through poorly thought-out measures to impose disproportionate controls on free expression and the right to protest. [A better time would be when the subject isn't in the news and we can ride the coattails of the Tories' authoritarianism to look 'tough' without people getting mad at us]'.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, HanoiVillan said:

Further confirmation:

Imagine the outcry if that was Corbyn 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

'This is no time to be rushing through poorly thought-out measures to impose disproportionate controls on free expression and the right to protest. [A better time would be when the subject isn't in the news and we can ride the coattails of the Tories' authoritarianism to look 'tough' without people getting mad at us]'.

It's a nonsensical statement too. Although the treatment of women needs addressing, that in itself is an entirely different thing to the crime bill. They are only really connected by the muder, vigil and the police's actions. Essentially they are entirely different issues, so Lammy (and many others) are conflating the two for PR gain, it's like they are pretending that they think it's one issue. It clearly isn't and they clearly should know that

• Like 4

30 minutes ago, Genie said:

Has Boris had anything to say about the recent events?

"Nobody is sadder about whatever it is I'm supposed to be sad about than I am. Now, fancy a shag?"

Something like that I expect. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Risso said:

Quite a few videos emerging of it being not exactly a peaceful vigil. Looks like a few activists made trouble for everybody.

Care to share this new information?

What sort or garbled bollocks is this? (Official Statement from Assitant Chief Constable)

"Today, for over six hours hundreds of people came to lay flowers and pay their respects to Sarah in Clapham Common in a safe and lawful way.

"Around 6pm, more people began to gather close to the bandstand within the Common. Some started to make speeches from the bandstand. These speeches then attracted more people to gather closer together.

"At this point, officers on the ground were faced with a very difficult decision. Hundreds of people were packed tightly together, posing a very real risk of easily transmitting Covid-19.

"Police must act for people's safety, this is the only responsible thing to do. The pandemic is not over and gatherings of people from right across London and beyond, are still not safe.

"Those who gathered were spoken to by officers on a number of occasions and over an extended period of time. We repeatedly encouraged those who were there to comply with the law and leave. Regrettably, a small minority of people began chanting at officers, pushing and throwing items.

"After speaking with officers, the vast majority of people quickly left. Four arrests have been made for public order offences and for breaches of the Health Protection Regulations.

"Part of the reason I am speaking to you tonight is because we accept that the actions of our officers have been questioned.

"We absolutely did not want to be in a position where enforcement action was necessary. But we were placed in this position because of the overriding need to protect people’s safety.

Met Police

So they acted because of COVID (Wrongly imo) then some people actually had the temerity to chant (oh wow), push (erm why were you that close) and throwing items.... but then they acted for people's safety (Covid)

What on earth did they think that caused them to intervene in the first place as reading between the lines of that, the chanting, pushing and throwing only happens after they move in en masse (I don't see how it happens any other way). Given the sensitivities of the issue you think they'd make different decisions

• Like 1

Â