Police state or the state of policing

tonyh29

To be fair, its to stop the terrorists having an impact on our freedoms and if you’ve got nothing to hide then you’ve got nothing to fear.

I also support linking system this to people’s credit ratings, so the busier shopping streets can weed out undesirable types that don’t have much money.

How many points of reference does it need to actually identify someone? If the current trend for face masks persists, will that have an impact? Will this awesome anti terror computing and monitoring be circumvented by a flu mask and a pair of knock off Ray Bans?

• 1 month later...

I saw that and nearly posted it, but I fear I'm becoming a bit one-note :D

He should be sacked, and it's right that the force have issued an apology. The investigation should be a swift and uncomplicated one. His colleague should also be dismissed if he didn't report it.

This pandemic has really highlighted just how much impartial oversight is required of the police, as I've said a few times, many of them consider the law to be a weapon, rather than than something they have a duty to uphold in good faith.

I'm less concerned about the transgressions of individual plod than I am of the rampant abuse of power by high ranking officers giving poor direction to their staff, however. There are several chief constables who have highlighted that they ought to be dismissed. Forces in Derby and Yorkshire have shown how keen they are to overreach, but this one really shows the respect that some police have for law:

https://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/news/18388219.coronavirus-dorset-police-will-not-change-stance-travel/

DORSET Police will not be making changes to its enforcement of travel during the coronavirus lockdown despite fresh guidance from national police leaders.

The National Police Chiefs’ Council (NPCC) and College of Policing (CoP) have issued new advice for forces across the country.

In relation to exercise, the document, titled “what constitutes a reasonable excuse to leave the place where you live”, lists driving to the countryside for a walk as “reasonable” if “far more time” is spent walking than driving.

But it adds that driving for a “prolonged period with only brief exercise” is not reasonable.

Despite this, Dorset Police said it is not changing its advice on travelling, citing that government advice remains the same to prevent the spread of coronavirus, to save lives and to protect the NHS.

A force spokesperson told the Daily Echo: “There has been much discussion around what the legislation does and doesn’t specifically prohibit.

“The legal aspects of the legislation are based upon whether a person’s actions are reasonable or not. Officers will continue to make individual judgements based on the specific circumstances presented to them.”

The key to making social distancing work is for everyone to be reasonable, the spokesperson said.

They added: “If you can exercise with a run or a walk near your home, it is reasonable for you to do so.

“Our interpretation is that it is not reasonable, for the majority, to drive miles to a specific place such as a beauty spot. It is also not within the spirit of what we are trying to achieve if you drive from the north of the county to the coast for surfing, regardless of whether that is “lawful” or not.”

Whether or not you agree with their general opinion on what appropriate behaviour ought to be, I've highlighted the key point that ought to have whoever said it out of a job immediately. A spokesperson for the police, just outright saying that they don't care whether something is lawful. They should never work in any position in any police force again.

It might be "a few bad apples", but the full saying is "a few bad apples spoil the barrel".

Edited by Davkaus
  • Like 2

They’ve closed the largest park within walking distance of my house, they’ve also told us to stay off the beaches. Now, the police and the council are ‘concerned’ and ‘monitoring’ the couple of remaining small parks as there are quite a lot of people using them.

Well, no shit, Sherlock. For the life of me, with the biggest park, the country park and the beaches closed, I just cannot work out any reason why the smaller park you’ve left open, is busier than it was.

Though we can look forward every single morning, to various plod, tweeting pictures of themselves having a nice horse ride along the beach to make sure there are no people on the beach.

Some people should never be allowed anywhere near a uniform or a clipboard.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Davkaus said:

I saw that and nearly posted it, but I fear I'm becoming a bit one-note :D

He should be sacked, and it's right that the force have issued an apology. The investigation should be a swift and uncomplicated one. His colleague should also be dismissed if he didn't report it.

• 2 months later...
1 minute ago, snowychap said:

Death.

Yep, and maybe worldwide rioting (and more deaths).

I was thinking along the lines of Steve, you have to be a special kind of stupid to do that now.

Edited by Genie
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Genie said:

Yep, and maybe worldwide rioting (and more deaths).

I was thinking along the lines of Steve, you have to be a special kind of stupid to do that now.

Absolutely agree with the sentiment, but want to stress that they really shouldn't be doing that at any point.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, HanoiVillan said:

Absolutely agree with the sentiment, but want to stress that they really shouldn't be doing that at any point.

Yeah just in case the sentiment of my post (and I believe Genie's) gets missed:

I agree it's never right to be doing that. But even if you don't care about the wellbeing of the person you are doing it to, the inevitable backlash from using that particular technique should be obvious to everyone with half a brain at the moment. Even if you're so selfish that you don't care if the person dies, the damage it will do to you personally means you're doubly stupid if you do it!

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Protesters being a nuisance? Instead of politely standing in the approved zone, not making too much noise, and following all instructions and requested by police? It's just not fair. 

"House said floppiness was a 'real issue' "

If this quote doesn't follow him around for life, Britain really is broken.

• 3 weeks later...

New UK app records police encounters and saves footage in cloud

A black criminal lawyer has designed a free app to allow anyone at risk of being stopped and searched by police to film incidents to ensure they have an “independent witness” to any interactions.

Michael Herford a criminal lawyer with Legal Lifelines, said the app could help provide a different perspective on an incident from police bodycam footage, or evidence when a police bodycam was not turned on or its footage was lost.

If someone sees the police approaching, they can press a button on their phone to start recording. Footage is uploaded in real time to the cloud using military-grade encryption, so that if the phone is damaged or confiscated during an interaction with police, the footage is preserved.

...more

Â