Police state or the state of policing

tonyh29

4 minutes ago, ml1dch said:

I'm pretty much on board with the idea that a bunch of anti-lockdown nobbers turned up later in the day and made the polices job a bit harder, as has been reported. 

I don't think that a dozen or so women standing in a circle chanting is the best evidence of it though. 

The vast majority of people there were peacefully and respectfully taking part in the vigil.  Then you have people like the above who were neither peaceful or respectful, and were clearly there just to cause trouble, at which point the police looked like they'd had enough and arrested some of them.

6 hours ago, Seat68 said:

With that they have lost me. **** em. **** em all. Bunch of words removed. Voted labour through the thin times with the hope that the useless rocket polishers could muster some sort of threat. They have lost me and I can now vote green with a clear conscience. words removed. 

I suspect that Green will do much better next time as a lot of Labour and Tory supporters are not happy with either right now. Although people have short memories and might be blinded by end of lockdown or something so who knows. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Risso said:

The vast majority of people there were peacefully and respectfully taking part in the vigil.  Then you have people like the above who were neither peaceful or respectful, and were clearly there just to cause trouble, at which point the police looked like they'd had enough and arrested some of them.

A small circle of women chanting "eff the police", in the week that a policeman is charged with the rape and murder of a young woman is evidence that a load of people deserved to be arrested?

*shrugs*

I guess it's one way of looking at it.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, ml1dch said:

A small circle of women chanting "eff the police", in the week that a policeman is charged with the rape and murder of a young woman is evidence that a load of people deserved to be arrested?

*shrugs*

I guess it's one way of looking at it.

I'm not sure you can blame the police for this prick doing what he did.  It's not like in America where you can get away with killing someone in cold blood whilst wearing a uniform.  Also there must be a different definition of 'vigil' I don't know about, I thought they were to quietly pay your respects and grieve.  That poor family, I bet this is the last thing they wanted.

3 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

I'm not sure you can blame the police for this prick doing what he did.  

I agree - and I personally, wouldn't. I'd also chuck at least one allegedly in there given there hasn't even been a trial yet.

However if I were a woman and had the experience of society and law enforcement belittling and ignoring my sexual assault claims as so many women have reported over the last week I'd probably have a different outlook.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Risso said:

Quite a few videos emerging of it being not exactly a peaceful vigil. Looks like a few activists made trouble for everybody.

1 hour ago, Risso said:

This isn't evidence of it not being peaceful. A few naughty words does not justify the overzealous scenes we all saw.

As others have said, it's unsurprising there's anger at police, when a policeman killed her.

If they're using COVID as an excuse to crack down on the vigil, then surely this:

is inevitable. If they'd left it alone, there wouldn't be further breaches of their regulations as per above.

Short-term thinking, awful PR. Stupidity all around.

In all this I bet the police would love to have the resources to have more coppers on the street at night so women can feel safer on their own.  Also have the ability to pay more to recruit better people than a guy already well into his 30s, but then murderous bastards exist regardless of pay scales and can seem perfectly normal.

6 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

In all this I bet the police would love to have the resources to have more coppers on the street at night so women can feel safer on their own.  Also have the ability to pay more to recruit better people than a guy already well into his 30s, but then murderous bastards exist regardless of pay scales and can seem perfectly normal.

Indeed. So this is why getting rid of the Tory scumbags who have gutted the police (and every bit as important, the CPS and courts system) over the last decade is rather important.

3 minutes ago, ml1dch said:

Indeed. So this is why getting rid of the Tory scumbags who have gutted the police (and every bit as important, the CPS and courts system) over the last decade is rather important.

By way of illustrating this point

• Like 1

Â