Police state or the state of policing

tonyh29

17 minutes ago, ml1dch said:

Mate, angering though the whole affair is - that sort of thing really isn't alright at the moment. 

Just highlighting why people may be more angry.

2 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

Just highlighting why people may be more angry.

I was thinking more of the fact that you can't really pronounce people guilty of a crime before their trial has even started. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ml1dch said:

I was thinking more of the fact that you can't really pronounce people guilty of a crime before their trial has even started. 

Then I retract and amend it to 'accused of murdering her', fair enough.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

Then I retract and amend it to 'accused of murdering her', fair enough.

His choice of career isn't especially relevant though is it? If he is guilty, he's clearly just a complete psychopath who just happened to be a police officer.

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, bickster said:

This is the violent scene the police closed in on

qkscdf1gdwm61.jpg

I thought they said they initially got involved trying to break up the vigil because of Covid social distancing breaches (which tbf look justified)

Edited by Genie

4 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

If Priti decides that something must be seen to be done and throws Cressida Dick under a bus (as I fully expect her to do), can you imagine the kind of monster she'll want to pick as her replacement?

spacer.png

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, bickster said:

Why haven't they acted in the same manner today then?

Because of how badly it panned out yesterday I reckon.

It would certainly turn ugly if they tried anything today. 

Edited by Genie

1 minute ago, Genie said:

Because of how badly it panned out yesterday I reckon.

So attacking a field of women was ok yesterday because they thought they could get away with it and today they've had a bit of a rethink?

That doesn't really reflect on what Dick and her Assistant were saying earlier in the day.

They claimed they had no option and would do it again... except they didn't

4 minutes ago, bickster said:

So attacking a field of women was ok yesterday because they thought they could get away with it and today they've had a bit of a rethink?

That doesn't really reflect on what Dick and her Assistant were saying earlier in the day.

They claimed they had no option and would do it again... except they didn't

I see it that they got it wrong yesterday, they should have treated the vigil in the same way as other protests over the past few months. Despite the Covid risk, it’s worse to get heavy handed. Leave them to it (unless they genuinely turn violent towards each other or the police).

They can’t say officially they are just going to let protesters do what they like regards to Covid rules for obvious reasons, but I expect this is what the unofficial policy will be.

Also, we've had dozens of protests, here and in other countries, over the last year, and none of them have turned into superspreading events.

Right-wingers now want this to turn out to be a superspreading event, just like they wanted Black Lives Matter to be last year. Left-wingers wanted Trump's supporters gathering in Washington and the EDL marches to be superspreading events. But it doesn't work like that, the virus isn't a moral agent that punishes your enemies. Gathering outdoors has repeatedly turned out not to be a significant risk.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Genie said:

I see it that they got it wrong yesterday, they should have treated the vigil in the same way as other protests over the past few months. Despite the Covid risk, it’s worse to get heavy handed. Leave them to it (unless they genuinely turn violent towards each other or the police).

They can’t say officially they are just going to let protesters do what they like regards to Covid rules for obvious reasons, but I expect this is what the unofficial policy will be.

Erm well actually there was a woman on the tellybox this morning representing the original organisers who cancelled that was specifically told by the police in their negotiations that if the vigil only lasted an hour or so, they would turn a blind eye.

Apparently COVID only strikes if you’ve been out at least an hour.

Its f***wittery of the highest order.

17 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Also, we've had dozens of protests, here and in other countries, over the last year, and none of them have turned into superspreading events.

Right-wingers now want this to turn out to be a superspreading event, just like they wanted Black Lives Matter to be last year. Left-wingers wanted Trump's supporters gathering in Washington and the EDL marches to be superspreading events. But it doesn't work like that, the virus isn't a moral agent that punishes your enemies. Gathering outdoors has repeatedly turned out not to be a significant risk.

In fact isn’t there a Chris Whitty quote fro Fri or Sat, where he says that what was originally proposed does not represent a significant risk at all. Following the science...

1 minute ago, bickster said:

In fact isn’t there a Chris Whitty quote fro Fri or Sat, where he says that what was originally proposed does not represent a significant risk at all. Following the science...

I believe it was Vallance rather than Whitty, but yes that's right.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ml1dch said:

It also seems more than coincidental that the police don't seem quite so desperate to "step in" with the sort of group that will really fight back.

So large groups of celebrating football fans or anti-lockdown dingbats can pretty much do what they like. Women holding candles saying that rape is A Bad Thing on the other hand are ripe for aggressive dispersal. 

They are basically sending the message that "if your demonstration is likely to smack us about a bit, we'll probably leave you alone". Which is unlikely to make their job easier in the long run.

Police arrested 28 people when Rangers fans were celebrating and another 7 were given fixed penalty notices.

Â