Cameron Archer

Zatman

22 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Next season we'll have pretty much like for like replacements for Ings and Watkins in Archer and Davis respectively. Except this time I don't think the other 2 will remain happy warming the bench, so the former 2 really need to be on their toes because on current form, they might just be displaced. Very good problem for Villa to have right now. This time 2 years ago our striking options were Samatta, Baston and an injured Davis.

Archer,  possibly. 

Davis, very doubtful. 

Edited by mottaloo
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, mottaloo said:

Archer,  possibly. 

Davis, very doubtful. 

Watkins has been off the boil lately, his finishing has been just as bad as Davis' has historically been. The other aspects of their game are also very similar. At the very least, he can push Watkins to regain his form.

2 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Watkins has been off the boil lately, his finishing has been just as bad as Davis' has historically been. The other aspects of their game are also very similar. At the very least, he can push Watkins to regain his form.

An off the boil Watkins is still going to end up with 10+ goals this season. Archer and Davis have a single PL goal between the 2.  European spot is the goal next year. Crazy amount of expectation on those 2. 

• Like 1

Just now, Rightdm00 said:

An off the boil Watkins is still going to end up with 10+ goals this season. Archer and Davis have a single PL goal between the 2.  European spot is the goal next year. Crazy amount of expectation on those 2. 

Don't expect them to be first choice by any stretch, but I imagine they'll be more than just squad filler next season. It can only be a good thing for us that we have academy players pushing our two 30m strikers, even if it ultimately means they still won't see much playing time.

8 minutes ago, Kuwabatake Sanjuro said:

Archer's stamina levels are comparable to Watkins also which whereas you can see Ings and Davis both tire post 60 minutes in matches.

I don't think Davis has poor stamina. He definitely dropped off for Forest the other day, but tbf he's barely played for years so hopefully happens less as the season goes on. Part of it is probably because he uses so much more oxygen getting himself in physical battles as well as the running.

I don't see Ings staying at VP after this season - he just doesn't work in a Stevie G team imho.

Links today to Lacazette who I do think would be a great option/back up to Ollie and would fit our style of play.

I also think Ollie will come good playing as a "9" with two out of Buendia, Coutinho, Bailey and Traore feeding him.

I think both Archer and Davis have roles - Davis is a real handful and offers something different whereas I see Archer as a more direct replacement for Ollie. However, I think Archer, and possibly Davis (assuming he carries on his current Forest form) might benefit from a loan at a bottom 6 PL team next season - getting regular minutes in the PL would be huge for both of them. This would be similar to what Chelski have done with Gallagher. We could then assess them properly rather than bringing them in as pure bench warmers.

3 minutes ago, barry'sboots said:

I think both Archer and Davis have roles - Davis is a real handful and offers something different whereas I see Archer as a more direct replacement for Ollie. However, I think Archer, and possibly Davis (assuming he carries on his current Forest form) might benefit from a loan at a bottom 6 PL team next season 

Hold on, you’re talking about Davis, the Davis on loan to Nottingham Forest, the Davis who scored 1 goal for Villa in like 5 years, the 24 year old who is close to his peak years, the Davis who possibly has a chance to find his level at a mid-table Championship team. 

2 hours ago, MWARLEY2 said:

No tue wrong Davis. We are talking about the powerhouse of a centre forward with great technical ability and the vision to set other players up for fun and create chances.Who has under 2 managers shown enough to be given contracts as they all believed in his ability. Who when he is on the pitch is a real asset for his team. And who was plucked aged 18 from Biggleswade after having zero academy training. The same man who has had the most bad luck with injuries i have seen . Maybe he will find his level in the Championship or maybe he is over his injuries and will now blossom into a really good forward who offers a very different option. 

Bang on. I was there when he made his debut v Norwich and set up a Hourihane hat trick. I said several times last season that he was criminally under utilised by Smith when we were crying out for options when Jack was out injured.  I think that there could be a real player in there - he was up against PL opposition yesterday and did not look out of place.

I am really excited to watch how KD, Archer and JPB perform over the next  couple of months.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, barry'sboots said:

I don't see Ings staying at VP after this season - he just doesn't work in a Stevie G team imho.

Links today to Lacazette who I do think would be a great option/back up to Ollie and would fit our style of play.

I also think Ollie will come good playing as a "9" with two out of Buendia, Coutinho, Bailey and Traore feeding him.

I think both Archer and Davis have roles - Davis is a real handful and offers something different whereas I see Archer as a more direct replacement for Ollie. However, I think Archer, and possibly Davis (assuming he carries on his current Forest form) might benefit from a loan at a bottom 6 PL team next season - getting regular minutes in the PL would be huge for both of them. This would be similar to what Chelski have done with Gallagher. We could then assess them properly rather than bringing them in as pure bench warmers.

If you don't like Ings, you and Villa fans definitely aren't going to like  Lacazette, who cant hit a barn door for Arsenal at the moment 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MWARLEY2 said:

No tue wrong Davis. We are talking about the powerhouse of a centre forward with great technical ability and the vision to set other players up for fun and create chances.Who has under 2 managers shown enough to be given contracts as they all believed in his ability. Who when he is on the pitch is a real asset for his team. And who was plucked aged 18 from Biggleswade after having zero academy training. The same man who has had the most bad luck with injuries i have seen . Maybe he will find his level in the Championship or maybe he is over his injuries and will now blossom into a really good forward who offers a very different option. 

The truth is probably somewhere in the middle. Keinan has bossed the championship before so his success during this recent loan isn't that surprising. Still doesn't score nearly enough to play in a single striker system. I will gladly revisit this comment if he hits double figures for Forest. Otherwise his level is somewhere below our aspiration and we should look to sell this summer. 

• Like 1

Preston have 16 games left this season. If he can get 7 more goals and continue performing well it'll have been a great loan move for him. I'd say if he had 9+ goals it would translate into 0.5 goals per 90 which would be an excellent return for him in a mid table side.

Â