Cameron Archer

Zatman

15 hours ago, rodders0223 said:

And then they spend 30m on a Spanish striker just because they can and Archer doesn't play .

Do not sell. Do not loan.

Sometimes you have to out your money where your mouth is and actually develop your youngsters, not play lip service.

I mean they will likely be relying on akpom as their main goalscorer next season too. They just need someone he can play off of and help them as a team. Archer has clearly got great chemistry with him.

12 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Based on what?

Like I said real Madrid have that lofty position over over teams to always have players want to go back

Villa don't and won't, villa show archer the door, he's scores a boat load for boro as they finish 16th, villa in 6th want him back you think he does? I don't, he won't forget that we showed him the door just because we're 6th 

Yep, he's gonna stay at a relegation team rather than move to a team in the Europa League 🤣

22 hours ago, duke313 said:

You know we could put in a buy back clause if we did sell him?

People always say this, but the reality is these are hard to agree. If we wanted to sell him to Boro with a buyback clause, they would say “that affects our long-term planning and reduces your risk, so let’s take £10m off the deal.” To which you’ll reply: “well then we wouldn’t sell him…” - which is the point, that’s why these deals don’t often get done. They rely on selling the player way below market value - hence us getting Douglas Luiz for £15m.

If they weren’t hard to agree and financially costly, no-one would ever sell a player without one, just in case, because why would you?

• Like 3

2 hours ago, duke313 said:

Yep, he's gonna stay at a relegation team rather than move to a team in the Europa League 🤣

Again you miss the point

He's going to stay at the team that gave him the chance rather than go back to the one who didn't

If him or any youngster is sold by villa and go off and make a success of themselves villa don't have the draw to simply go take them back, outside of the very very top teams not many clubs do, it's part of why the buy back clauses are great in theory but in reality they hardly ever happen (he other being they rarely fulfill their potential)

2 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Again you miss the point

He's going to stay at the team that gave him the chance rather than go back to the one who didn't

If him or any youngster is sold by villa and go off and make a success of themselves villa don't have the draw to simply go take them back, outside of the very very top teams not many clubs do, it's part of why the buy back clauses are great in theory but in reality they hardly ever happen (he other being they rarely fulfill their potential)

I agree in most cases,  but as I said, Cam js a genuine fan and depending on the leaving circumstances, he might not feel hard done by. He's been supported by the club since he was 8 so I imagine there's a lot of respect and appreciation there to go with the fact he's a fan.

In this case, a buy back might work.

Fwiw, I would just have him in the matchday squad next season.

If Unai wants to sign another striker, I think Cam would be the one sacrificed/sold as we are not going to be getting rid of Duran after spending ~20m on him last window. Would I agree with that? probably not but UI would see the reasoning

Fmttm boro forum have a 4 pager so far on what would they pay for Archer if they got promoted. The majority are saying 25 -30 mill with some going up to 40 as he is guaranteed to score in the prem.apparently  A few saying 12 ish. 

They absolutely love him there and are convinced he will be playing for England in time . 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PaulC said:

Him and Watkins up front together under Emery could be lethal. It may still happen. 

Emery likes the support striker to be one who drops a bit deeper in the 10 role I think. Not sure Archer is that player 

22 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Again you miss the point

You might have a point but I'm sure Cam is intelligent enough to realise that things aren't always that simple, and that Middlesbrough are currently in a much better position (and likely will be for a while) to offer him more game time than we are. If we insert a buyback, we obviously see something special in him, and IF he did leave, I couldn't see it ending on bad terms.

If we then go on to be challenging for the Europa, and Middlesbrough are battling relegation, I can't see why he'd not want to come back tbh, unless he has an even better offer elsewhere.

22 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Again you miss the point

And you know this how? 

If Villa are in Europe and M'boro are in a relegation scrap, we absolutely do have the draw to sign him back.  Unless of course the player and the club have parted on bad terms.

Still, even if everything you say is true, what harm is having a buy back clause included in any sale? The player doesn't have to agree to the move, but it wouldn't do any harm having the option, would it?

• Like 1

On 19/03/2023 at 15:22, CVByrne said:

He's only got an xG per 90 of 0.35 he needs to be close to 0.5 in the Championship to make it at Prem level. Watkins was at 0.55 xG in his last season in Championship.

He needs another full season on Loan for me 

Outperforming xG is a great sign - you don't need to "up xG".  

17 hours ago, MWARLEY2 said:

Fmttm boro forum have a 4 pager so far on what would they pay for Archer if they got promoted. The majority are saying 25 -30 mill with some going up to 40 as he is guaranteed to score in the prem.apparently  A few saying 12 ish. 

They absolutely love him there and are convinced he will be playing for England in time . 

that forum is a shambles - all threads just kinda jumbled up together - playoff chat beside a thread about oasis beside a thread about "Boris Johnson - The Big Blancmange". Its carnage

Where's the structure? Where's the subcategories ? Where's the humanity?

• Haha 1

As we rise up the table to challenge for Europe, it’s going to be harder than ever for young players to make it into our first team. They’re going to need top six quality to be a first team starter as we look to improve in all areas.

I genuinely believe Archer can make it at Villa, his movement and finishing are very special. He’s proven himself in the championship, and I can’t decide whether he should come back to Villa to compete/complement Ollie for next season, or to loan him to another premier league team next season. He needs game time which he might not get at Villa yet, but there comes a point where if he’s not good enough to play plenty of games then we are better off selling. He’s not reached that yet, and I’d love to see him given a run of games with us to prove one way or the other. 

• Like 1

We have had a few homegrown strikers come through with varying degrees of success.

Will he be a Gabby or Vassell ? 

Or a Delfouneso or Luke Moore? 

Its strange but the 2nd two were far more rounded strikers than the first 2 at 17 or 18 who were all about extreme pace. 

What Cam has is a nice blend . Pretty quick and pretty strong but with decent movement and great finishing off both feet. 

The best thing is he is learning to play up top by himself at Boro kind of like Ollie does currently.  He is also learning about partnerships and Akpom and him seem to already have a real understanding. He is not just getting on the end of balls in the box. 3 assists already to go with his 6 goals. 

And to top it off he has a really humble personality. And is immensely likeable. People seem to take to him. Boro and Preston were falling in love from week 1 .

There is no stagnation which is what i feared after his 6 months of 5 mins here and 5 mins there.  Learning the game at a team which plays great football. Not too disimilar to how we play now. 

All bodes well for his development. If he has come back from Boro with double figures and a far more rounded game then thats the best we can hope  for.  The rest is in the lap of the gods and Emerys vision of the future. 

And if he does leave then it will be another £20 mill min from our academy to invest in the squad . 

• Like 3

Â