Cup Final Two of Thirty Six: Prematch

TheAuthority

I'd also put 18 players in the squad instead of 17.   Perhaps El Ghazi could be # 18?  I'd also consider replacing Lansbury on the bench with Marvelous so we have a midfielder to replace Grealish/McGinn and one to replace Luiz if either gets tired or injured.

Tough game, they will be buoyed by the UTD result and Zaha is a difficult proposition for any team. 

Any points picked up on the road in the PL are welcome so I'd be delighted with a draw. That's not being defeatist, I think we are good enough to go there and give them a good game, a win would be great but I'd  be happy with a point. 

20 minutes ago, flashingqwerty said:

Its my birthday today, so i'm expecting an awesome gift from villa 😄

Happy Birthday. I’m going 3-0 Villa as it’s your birthday. Who would deny a Villa fan joy on his birthday!? :flag:

• Like 1

4 hours ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

My side would be:

Heaton

Guilbert Engels Mings Taylor

McGinn Luiz Grealish

Jota Wesley Trezeguet 

Subs: Steer, Konsa, Elmohamady , Hourihane, Lansbury, Davis

Marvelous not even on the bench??

25 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

Marvelous not even on the bench??

Interesting that - I think we've now got more than 18 people we'd like to see in the match day squad. 

There's the obvious group that should start games:

Heaton, Mings, Engels, Grealish, McGinn, Wesley - I think those are almost untouchable.

Then there's the likely lads:

Guilbert, Taylor, Luiz,

And the "two of these three wingers":

Trezeguet, Jota, El Ghazi

With whoever isn't picked being on the bench.

That's six spots left on the sidelines - one for a keeper, so Steer and then five between:

Konsa, Targett, Elmohamady, Hause, Lansbury, Nakamba, Hourihane, Kodjia and Davis (maybe Chester too).

It's been a while since we had so many good players unlikely to get suited up on match day and four of those will miss out today.

For what it's worth, I'd go:

------------------------------Heaton-----------------------------

Guilbert-------Engels-----------Mings----------Taylor

--------------------------------Luiz--------------------------------

--------------------McGinn-------Grealish------------------

Jota-------------------------------------------------Trezeguet

------------------------------Wesley-------------------------------

Subs: Steer, Konsa, Elmohamady, Nakamba, Hourihane, El Ghazi and Davis.

With Targett, Hause, Lansbury and Kodjia watching from the stands. 

We're still a little thin in key positions, but that's better quality of depth than we've had in a long time. 

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Interesting that - I think we've now got more than 18 people we'd like to see in the match day squad. 

There's the obvious group that should start games:

Heaton, Mings, Engels, Grealish, McGinn, Wesley - I think those are almost untouchable.

Then there's the likely lads:

Guilbert, Taylor, Luiz,

And the "two of these three wingers":

Trezeguet, Jota, El Ghazi

With whoever isn't picked being on the bench.

That's six spots left on the sidelines - one for a keeper, so Steer and then five between:

Konsa, Targett, Elmohamady, Hause, Lansbury, Nakamba, Hourihane, Kodjia and Davis (maybe Chester too).

It's been a while since we had so many good players unlikely to get suited up on match day and four of those will miss out today.

For what it's worth, I'd go:

------------------------------Heaton-----------------------------

Guilbert-------Engels-----------Mings----------Taylor

--------------------------------Luiz--------------------------------

--------------------McGinn-------Grealish------------------

Jota-------------------------------------------------Trezeguet

------------------------------Wesley-------------------------------

Subs: Steer, Konsa, Elmohamady, Nakamba, Hourihane, El Ghazi and Davis.

With Targett, Hause, Lansbury and Kodjia watching from the stands. 

We're still a little thin in key positions, but that's better quality of depth than we've had in a long time. 

Harsh on lansbury after his performance in the week but what can u do?!

This is an important game.

Avoiding relegation this season is our priority and I think Palace are going to be in the relegation mix at the  end of the season so avoiding defeat is important.

Palace have some really good players but they seem to be unsettled and this may help us get something there.The 3 ex villa players could have an impact and I am kind of expecting Benteke to score.

We are still finding our feet and were a bit lucky against Everton ,with better finishing we could have lost that game.

Think Grealish might have an impact.

2-2

• Like 1

3 hours ago, villan-scott said:

I’d start Trezeguet. El Ghazi was completely ineffective against Crewe in the week. 

Same team that beat Everton for me. 

He wasn’t completely ineffective man, 1 assist and he hit the post.

He had a decent game, fair enough expecting more against poor opposition but saying he was completely ineffective is OTT

39 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Don't think El Ghazi should start.

Palace likes to defend deep and are very organized. Better option to use Jota who can unlock that defense.

I think Jota is nailed on. Its Trez or ElGhazi. 

Heaton

Guilbert                   Engels                Mings                Taylor

Luiz

McGinn               Hourihane

Trezeguet                                                                        Grealish

Wesley

1 hour ago, Londonastonvilla said:

This is an important game.

Avoiding relegation this season is our priority and I think Palace are going to be in the relegation mix at the  end of the season so avoiding defeat is important.

Palace have some really good players but they seem to be unsettled and this may help us get something there.The 3 ex villa players could have an impact and I am kind of expecting Benteke to score.

We are still finding our feet and were a bit lucky against Everton ,with better finishing we could have lost that game.

Think Grealish might have an impact.

2-2

Agree with much of this, but I don’t think Palace will be in the mix for relegation. For me the matches against Norwich, the blades, and possibly southampton will be more important.

My wife’s birthday today so will be otherwise occupied - won’t actually be too far away from the ground ironically.

So here’s my day’s worth of comments

pre-match: come on lads, Palace are actually quite vulnerable at home so let’s haul in win no. 2

half-time: great goal from Wesley now let’s keep it tight in defence

full-time: great goal from jack to seal the win!

Edited by briny_ear

Since getting promoted in 2013 Palace have finished 11th, 10th, 15th, 14th, 11th, and 12th, so they're a comfortable midtable Premier league side, shouldn't underestimate them. And I don't think we can read too much into their league record at home against other clubs, since we don't know yet if we're of the level of those other clubs. That said I think it's a game we're capable of getting a result from, hopefully a win, a draw wouldn't be the worst result.

I've had a few bevvies and due to my success with backing England to win the test, I have a decent bet on the Villa to win tonight, if they don't pray for me, the Mrs won't be happy....

• Haha 1