Cup Final Two of Thirty Six: Prematch

TheAuthority

To be honest, this is a game we should rightfully be going in to looking to win. Just beaten Everton, a better team than Palace, albeit slightly fortuitously you could argue. Our second string has just battered a team 6-1, even if they are a League 2 side. The positivity running through the club at present is at its highest for 10 years. Palace are also pretty poor at home, with just 13 points from their last 12 home games. 

They did win at United but they're usually pretty good at playing the underdog because they're so good at countering teams. United dominated for much of it, Palace were clinical. Against us being at home their fans will want them to go for it so they can't sit back, which will play into our hands. We need to watch Zaha who is head and shoulders above anyone else they have, but he clearly doesn't want to be there and that's affecting his performances currently. Ayew and Townsend blow hot and cold, but more often than not aren't great. Benteke looks past it and has been poor for two seasons, definitely wouldn't get in our side. Meyer is their creative player but looks too lightweight for this league. So all in all, unless Zaha turns up, I'd hope our defenders can handle their attacking players, particularly as we've just contained Richarlison, Sigurdsson and Bernard. 

Would take a draw, a win is achievable and should be the aim. Definitely don't think we should be losing this one.

Edited by VillaFaninLondon

50 minutes ago, smg said:

Can’t believe some are predicting a loss against a lower level team who are generally shite at home. Yes we may lose but we have to be confident of getting something at places like this otherwise every game will be a predicted defeat and we might as well give up now. By the way which teams would you predict an away win against ?

To be fair, it is very likely that the majority of our games will be losses.  I agree this should be one of the more winnable, but Palace and Newcastle showed that this league is very unpredictable.  

27 minutes ago, rubberman said:

To be fair, it is very likely that the majority of our games will be losses.  I agree this should be one of the more winnable, but Palace and Newcastle showed that this league is very unpredictable.  

The side that beat Everton looked very resilient, can't see us losing more than 19 games over the course of the season. Yes we've lost 2 of 3 so far, but the side hadn't fully settled or adjusted to the league and probably still hasn't in all honesty. 

No one can say for sure how many we'll win or lose, but Wolves lost 13 last season and Fulham lost 26. I'd say we'll lose possibly 16 or 17 and win a dozen or so games with the rest draws. I think if we lose more than 20 we'll be lucky to stay up. 

Roy has done a really good job at Palace, they're not easy opposition. But are a bit hit and miss. On their off days, they're really bad, but when they're on it they can beat anyone in the league - think they even won at City?

I think a point here would be a good point, as opposed to a bad one.

1 hour ago, kurtsimonw said:

Roy has done a really good job at Palace, they're not easy opposition. But are a bit hit and miss. On their off days, they're really bad, but when they're on it they can beat anyone in the league - think they even won at City?

I think a point here would be a good point, as opposed to a bad one.

Zaha and Townsend are key for them. Keep them 2 quiet and I don’t think they have much creativity elsewhere. I could be wrong though.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

I'd say we'll lose possibly 16 or 17 and win a dozen or so games with the rest draws. I think if we lose more than 20 we'll be lucky to stay up.

That would be a pretty good season, I agree.  And as I said, is a majority of losses.  

But hopefully not this week.

Definitely nothing to fear in this game, we head here off the back of two decent victories and will have a new-found confidence.

As long as we settle into the game well, with no mistakes (IE unlike Bournemouth) then I feel quite confident we can take 3 points or at least 1.

I think if we get the service into Wesley he can bully their two centre halves (whether that be Cahill, Dann or Kelly) and exploit a possible lack of pace?!

Would start with @wedge team, but with El Ghazi instead of Jota (purely because I feel that he offers more defensive cover on the flanks and for me that is Palace's biggest strength, whether that be with Zaha, Meyer or Townsend.

If as is being reported, Mings and Engels have gotten call ups, they will be buzzing for this game. At the same time, if as expected Grealish misses out, hopefully that lights a fire in him to go out and dominate the game.

Feel confident of winning this one. Just have 2 men on Zaha at all times and we will be fine.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, villalad21 said:

The fact that Benteke haven't scored in ages worries me.

Usually for players like that Villa is the perfect team to play.

Load of cobblers this one. I'd take the player who hasn't scored in ages over the one in form any day!

• Like 1

Any game away in this league is going to be very hard to get 3 points in. We need to win most our home games and look for a few wins on the road. I'd be happy with a point here, if we can string a little unbeaten run together we can get in to mid table and take some of the immediate pressure off.

3 hours ago, villalad21 said:

The fact that Benteke haven't scored in ages worries me.

Usually for players like that Villa is the perfect team to play.

Benteke is absolutely nailed on to score, Ayew too probably.

3 hours ago, omariqy said:

Am I right in thinking that Palace seem to do better away from home?

They remind me a lot of how we were under Lambert.  Great against the top sides where we would sit back, blunt their attack and try to hit them on the counter.  When we were the actual favorites, we struggled to know what to do with ourselves, which is a lot how Palace looked to me last season.  

• Like 1