Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
TheAuthority

Cup Final Two of Thirty Six: Prematch

Recommended Posts

Let's not big Palace up too much here:

  • Man Utd had one stonewall penalty turned down, and one probable penalty turned down
  • Rashford missed a penalty
  • Palace had 3 shots on target out of 5 total shots, and 2 of them went in, one of them a keeper error
  • United had 22 shots on goal
  • Palace's passing accuracy was 61%

It was a robbery against a United side who are likely to be fighting for a Europa League place.

We should be going to Palace looking for points. We're dangerous on the break, and we defend well in the air. I'd say it's about 55% chance we get something out of the game - something like 45% home win, 25% draw, 30% away win. You'd take those odds if you're Dean Smith.

I fear Benteke as much as I fear the hardest lad in primary school. A terrifying prospect back in the day, but time hasn't been kind to him.

Of course Palace will be slight favourites, but we should definitely be optimistic about our chances on Saturday.

My prediction: 3-1 Villa. Wesley, Grealish, Mings, Neil Taylor (OG).

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had them as relegation contenders. Terrible home form last season and no Wan Bisakka. Will be disappointed if we don't get all 3 points

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, KentVillan said:

Let's not big Palace up too much here:

  • Man Utd had one stonewall penalty turned down, and one probable penalty turned down
  • Rashford missed a penalty
  • Palace had 3 shots on target out of 5 total shots, and 2 of them went in, one of them a keeper error
  • United had 22 shots on goal
  • Palace's passing accuracy was 61%

It was a robbery against a United side who are likely to be fighting for a Europa League place.

We should be going to Palace looking for points. We're dangerous on the break, and we defend well in the air. I'd say it's about 55% chance we get something out of the game - something like 45% home win, 25% draw, 30% away win. You'd take those odds if you're Dean Smith.

I fear Benteke as much as I fear the hardest lad in primary school. A terrifying prospect back in the day, but time hasn't been kind to him.

Of course Palace will be slight favourites, but we should definitely be optimistic about our chances on Saturday.

My prediction: 3-1 Villa. Wesley, Grealish, Mings, Neil Taylor (OG).

How can they be favourites if you've given them a 30% chance?

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, KentVillan said:

 a United side who are likely to be fighting for a Europa League place.

 

I enjoyed that bit

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, villalad21 said:

The fact that Benteke haven't scored in ages worries me.

Usually for players like that Villa is the perfect team to play.

Times may have changed.

Everton came to us with 100% defensive record and going for a win to top the table, and look what happened. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Play the same side that started against Everton.   It will be a tough one this, as all games are.  However, if we stick to our game, have some luck and no crazy decisions go against us, I think we can get a positive result here.  

Stop Zaha, stop Palace really.   Going to say 2-1 Villa, but wouldn’t be unhappy with a draw.

Edited by ferguson1
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, TreeVillan said:

How can they be favourites if you've given them a 30% chance?

I said 30% away win (i.e. Villa).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

I said 30% away win (i.e. Villa).

bookies have us just longer than 2 to one, as is the draw, palace are evens. no reason we won't upset those odds but we shouldn't be treating this game as an easy 3 points, if we were playing them at villa park i'd be a lot more confident. massive bonus if we do get 3 points though!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, romavillan said:

bookies have us just longer than 2 to one, as is the draw, palace are evens. no reason we won't upset those odds but we shouldn't be treating this game as an easy 3 points, if we were playing them at villa park i'd be a lot more confident. massive bonus if we do get 3 points though!

Just longer than 2/1 is 30%, and evens is 50%, so what I said was pretty close to how the bookies have it.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Roy Hodgson may look like an owl, but he’s a pretty wily old manager. We need to be tactically on top of our game tomorrow to get anything out of it.

I would take a draw now.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Read that van Aarnholt, Schlupp and Ward are all injuried and might be out for this game. This would mean that they don't have proper fullbacks and be forced to play younger players out of position there. I think this would work very well in our favor since we have a lot of threat on the wings. maybe we should consider playing Guilbert to add pressure on the flanks?

Edited by osmark86
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Palace's record is much better away from home where they can sit in and hit on the counter, so we should really set up fairly deep and let them have the ball for the most part, and then hit them on the counter when an opportunity arises, like much  of the Everton game to be fair.

I'd think it would be the same side that started against Everton, unless Smith wants to do something specific to stop Zaha. Not expecting radical changes.

It would be very nice to get another 3 points on the board before the international break, but away points are tough to come by in this league, so I'd certainly settle for a point.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 25/08/2019 at 16:29, TheAuthority said:

It worked last week.

Don't @ me.

(Looking at you BOF)

I started this last season! Very happy to see it's still our good luck charm!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 29/08/2019 at 16:21, omariqy said:

Am I right in thinking that Palace seem to do better away from home?

They prefer playing counter-attacking football which suits them away from home, but at home their fans want them to be on the front foot which doesn't suit their playing style at all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm going to this game. 

That is all I came on here to say.

  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How can we counter attack against a team that doesn’t attack?!? 

I believe we can win tomorrow but have nerves around Benteke and/or Ayew playing well for once... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, theboyangel said:

How can we counter attack against a team that doesn’t attack?!? 

I believe we can win tomorrow but have nerves around Benteke and/or Ayew playing well for once... 

They will attack at home.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...
Â