Cup Final Two of Thirty Six: Prematch

TheAuthority

Let's not big Palace up too much here:

• Man Utd had one stonewall penalty turned down, and one probable penalty turned down
  • Rashford missed a penalty
  • Palace had 3 shots on target out of 5 total shots, and 2 of them went in, one of them a keeper error
  • United had 22 shots on goal
  • Palace's passing accuracy was 61%

It was a robbery against a United side who are likely to be fighting for a Europa League place.

We should be going to Palace looking for points. We're dangerous on the break, and we defend well in the air. I'd say it's about 55% chance we get something out of the game - something like 45% home win, 25% draw, 30% away win. You'd take those odds if you're Dean Smith.

I fear Benteke as much as I fear the hardest lad in primary school. A terrifying prospect back in the day, but time hasn't been kind to him.

Of course Palace will be slight favourites, but we should definitely be optimistic about our chances on Saturday.

My prediction: 3-1 Villa. Wesley, Grealish, Mings, Neil Taylor (OG).

• Like 4

11 hours ago, KentVillan said:

Let's not big Palace up too much here:

• Man Utd had one stonewall penalty turned down, and one probable penalty turned down
  • Rashford missed a penalty
  • Palace had 3 shots on target out of 5 total shots, and 2 of them went in, one of them a keeper error
  • United had 22 shots on goal
  • Palace's passing accuracy was 61%

It was a robbery against a United side who are likely to be fighting for a Europa League place.

We should be going to Palace looking for points. We're dangerous on the break, and we defend well in the air. I'd say it's about 55% chance we get something out of the game - something like 45% home win, 25% draw, 30% away win. You'd take those odds if you're Dean Smith.

I fear Benteke as much as I fear the hardest lad in primary school. A terrifying prospect back in the day, but time hasn't been kind to him.

Of course Palace will be slight favourites, but we should definitely be optimistic about our chances on Saturday.

My prediction: 3-1 Villa. Wesley, Grealish, Mings, Neil Taylor (OG).

How can they be favourites if you've given them a 30% chance?

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, villalad21 said:

The fact that Benteke haven't scored in ages worries me.

Usually for players like that Villa is the perfect team to play.

Times may have changed.

Everton came to us with 100% defensive record and going for a win to top the table, and look what happened. 

• Like 1

Play the same side that started against Everton.   It will be a tough one this, as all games are.  However, if we stick to our game, have some luck and no crazy decisions go against us, I think we can get a positive result here.  

Stop Zaha, stop Palace really.   Going to say 2-1 Villa, but wouldn’t be unhappy with a draw.

Edited by ferguson1
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

I said 30% away win (i.e. Villa).

bookies have us just longer than 2 to one, as is the draw, palace are evens. no reason we won't upset those odds but we shouldn't be treating this game as an easy 3 points, if we were playing them at villa park i'd be a lot more confident. massive bonus if we do get 3 points though!

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, romavillan said:

bookies have us just longer than 2 to one, as is the draw, palace are evens. no reason we won't upset those odds but we shouldn't be treating this game as an easy 3 points, if we were playing them at villa park i'd be a lot more confident. massive bonus if we do get 3 points though!

Just longer than 2/1 is 30%, and evens is 50%, so what I said was pretty close to how the bookies have it.

• Like 1

Read that van Aarnholt, Schlupp and Ward are all injuried and might be out for this game. This would mean that they don't have proper fullbacks and be forced to play younger players out of position there. I think this would work very well in our favor since we have a lot of threat on the wings. maybe we should consider playing Guilbert to add pressure on the flanks?

Edited by osmark86
  • Like 1

Palace's record is much better away from home where they can sit in and hit on the counter, so we should really set up fairly deep and let them have the ball for the most part, and then hit them on the counter when an opportunity arises, like much  of the Everton game to be fair.

I'd think it would be the same side that started against Everton, unless Smith wants to do something specific to stop Zaha. Not expecting radical changes.

It would be very nice to get another 3 points on the board before the international break, but away points are tough to come by in this league, so I'd certainly settle for a point.

• Like 2

On 29/08/2019 at 16:21, omariqy said:

Am I right in thinking that Palace seem to do better away from home?

They prefer playing counter-attacking football which suits them away from home, but at home their fans want them to be on the front foot which doesn't suit their playing style at all.