Douglas Luiz

LondonLax

1 minute ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

I like Luiz and would like to see him sign a new deal, but we can't ignore that his contract has less than 18 months to go. 

I don't like playing Luiz as a 6 and would much prefer him as an 8 rotated with Ramsey or McGinn and a new DM coming in, but would still like to see him stay long term and think there is a hell of a lot more to come from him given he's only 23.

Having said that, if we did turn down a 30m offer (and the accuracy here is disputable given it is the Standard) then we may have been a bit hasty especially as we could have used that money +10-15m of our own money to buy Bissouma. That would be worth losing Luiz for because we've got a potentially world class player to replace him.

But I see Luiz staying until summer even if we bring in Bentancur (which is not definite given it has now gone completely quiet). I think we'll spend the next 3-4 months seeing if we can tie him down on a 5-year contract, as we will with Carney, and if it doesn't happen look to move him on in summer. IMO anyway. 

Was Bissouma better than Luiz at 23?

If there is no hope of him signing a new contract I reckon we would have accepted a 30m or will do so closer to the end of the January window. 

I just don’t think we have plans to sell him and I don’t think he intends to leave.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

If he goes to Newcastle then I’d be disappointed I do wonder how much more they would offer him.  If it’s not a substantial amount then maybe he’s not the right character for the club after all.

FWIW I think he’ll sign a new contract and stay. 

There’s no way we sell any first team player to Newcastle.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

I like Luiz and would like to see him sign a new deal, but we can't ignore that his contract has less than 18 months to go. 

I don't like playing Luiz as a 6 and would much prefer him as an 8 rotated with Ramsey or McGinn and a new DM coming in, but would still like to see him stay long term and think there is a hell of a lot more to come from him given he's only 23.

Having said that, if we did turn down a 30m offer (and the accuracy here is disputable given it is the Standard) then we may have been a bit hasty especially as we could have used that money +10-15m of our own money to buy Bissouma. That would be worth losing Luiz for because we've got a potentially world class player to replace him.

But I see Luiz staying until summer even if we bring in Bentancur (which is not definite given it has now gone completely quiet). I think we'll spend the next 3-4 months seeing if we can tie him down on a 5-year contract, as we will with Carney, and if it doesn't happen look to move him on in summer. IMO anyway. 

It's clear he's not a 6 in the formation we play. He would have to compete for one of the 8 roles and I'm certain JJ, Sanson, McGinn and Chukwuemeka are the 4 we'll be going with next season. Bentancur can play there too if needed. As can Buendia or Young in a pinch. 

So for Luiz himself, a fresh move where he has more certainty of game time might be best for him personally. 

£30mil would be amazing deal if we could get that for him. 

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Was Bissouma better than Luiz at 23?

If there is no hope of him signing a new contract I reckon we would have accepted a 30m or will do so closer to the end of the January window. 

I just don’t think we have plans to sell him and I don’t think he intends to leave.

No idea but it's not like Bissouma is much older (he's 25) and still many years at the top. My concern with Bissouma is it's a lot of money and Brighton have coped quite well without him this month and he could be another of those players who looks brilliant in a system like Brighton's but struggles in our team.

You're very optimistic but his contract is running down and he still hasn't signed. Having said that, nothing like Bissouma situation at Brighton where it's common knowledge he won't sign a new deal. With Dougie there isn't much to go on, but he does seem happy here and is dating one of our female players. 

Bringing in another midfielder doesn't mean anything, competition is great for us, and we need more of it. Players will have to cope with that but clearly we need to start doing better in comps and getting into Europe so we can utilise our squad.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

It's clear he's not a 6 in the formation we play. He would have to compete for one of the 8 roles and I'm certain JJ, Sanson, McGinn and Chukwuemeka are the 4 we'll be going with next season. Bentancur can play there too if needed. As can Buendia or Young in a pinch. 

So for Luiz himself, a fresh move where he has more certainty of game time might be best for him personally. 

£30mil would be amazing deal if we could get that for him. 

I'd look to move on Sanson before Luiz 100%, but Luiz would be easier to sell and have quite a few suitors. I really want him to stay though.

• Like 2

If we do have to sell him, we should insist on a buyback, or sell on at minimum.

If we want to keep him, it might very much come down to deciding which other midfielder/s needs to be sacrificed to allow him more game time, and if they think he is worth the sacrifice.

If contracts are being hesitated over, and we can get top dollar for him, we have a real decision to make.

• Like 1

With regards to the player, I would like Douglas Luiz to stay. To me he personifies our club at the moment; you can see there's great potential there, with moments of brilliance sprinkled in with a few lapses from time to time too. He also seems a great character and he's been here from the start of our journey back in the Premier League.

However, from a squad building point of view, I can see why it makes sense to accept a large enough offer. Couple of reasons for this:

• The emergence of Jacob Ramsey in the Left-sided midfield three position
  • Gerrard's preferred profile of player in his base of midfield three
  • Only 18 months left on contract

I think if Jacob Ramsey hadn't shown such great growth then our current preferred three would be Douglas Luiz - Nakamba - McGinn. I think Ramsey is simply ahead of him in the pecking order now for that Left-Mid-Three slot, and deservingly so. You also get many natural benefits when a youth player break through and plays regularly in the first XI, but primarily it shows the current youth team players (where Villa have invested very heavily the past few years) a clear pathway to the top.

Douglas Luiz offers a good amount of versatility. He can play in any of those three midfield slots, but it would not be in front of Ramsey, Nakamba or McGinn - definitely based on Nakamba's pre-injury form.

Considering the time remaining on his contract, if we can make a sizable profit on Douglas Luiz, bring in a player more in the mold of what Gerrard is after for a lesser fee and use that money elsewhere.... I think from a Squad-Building point of view this would be an understandable move for the club. That said, if he stays he will still be a good part of our squad.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

If he goes to Newcastle then I’d be disappointed I do wonder how much more they would offer him.  If it’s not a substantial amount then maybe he’s not the right character for the club after all.

FWIW I think he’ll sign a new contract and stay. 

I don't think it will be money that would be the key factor. I understand he prefers playing as an 8 and might think his present role is making it harder for him to break back into the Brazil squad. 

Edited by Made In Aston

1 hour ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

I'd look to move on Sanson before Luiz 100%, but Luiz would be easier to sell and have quite a few suitors. I really want him to stay though.

If we got a 30m fee for Luiz this window it would be booked at a £24m profit in our accounts and that gives us such good ffp leeway to improve another area of the pitch. If we brought in a CB who was potentially better than Mings or Konsa like Gomez then we have improved our team Vs keeping Luiz to try oust JJ or McGinn (which seems highly unlikely given the pace of JJ improvement). 

If we kept Luiz we'd have to pay him nearing 100k a week I'd say which would worsen our accounts. Especially for a player who will struggle to get ahead of JJ.

So in this situation for the right offer Luiz out (+24m) Bentancur in (4.5y deal -3.5m per year amortisation). Gives the headroom for summer signings. 

There's zero chance we haven't offered him a new deal at all so far. So as there's nothing signed the club may move him on I think.

£30m isn't enough but in the summer the offers may dry up, then suddenly we're trying to flog him anywhere so he doesn't sign for someone on a free this time next year.

I want him to stay.

Edited by Tomaszk

6 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

There's zero chance we haven't offered him a new deal at all so far. So as there's nothing signed the club may move him on I think.

£30m isn't enough but in the summer the offers may dry up, then suddenly we're trying to flog him anywhere so he doesn't sign for someone on a free this time next year.

I want him to stay.

Agree with this part. This club under NSWE are all over contract extensions and looking after their assets. They'll have offered him something, probably at the start of this season, and for whatever reason, he hasn't signed the deal. Might be that he wants 100k a week and we're offering 50k, who knows.

The club could well sell him this Jan if they feel the offer is attractive enough. I don't think we'd sell to Newcastle unless they offered 20% more than the highest offer on the table. The club, and every other club, should know that they're a threat as much as it pains me to say. They have a LOT of money and room with FFP to spend a lot of that money. The best thing for this club, along with every other club in this division serious about pushing for Europe, needs them to be relegated this season because if they aren't, they will be mounting a challenge in 2/3 years time for that top 6. Or at least, they'll have ambitions to. 

Edited by Delphinho123

Â