Douglas Luiz

LondonLax

Very interesting comments by Gerrard that Luiz probably would like to play further up the field, I thought Douggie saw himself as the anchor man, not the box to box. I'm sure he could to a job as the no 8 and he scored some nice goals in his first games, but I don't see him as a box to box player, I think he is too slow for that and not dynamic enough. 

Also interesting that Gerrard on the one hand said they think extremely highly of Luiz, but also seemed to say that they are not in a hurry to extend the contract and that the want him to improve until the summer.

I had seen him as our crown jewel, the Brazil U23 captain with a ball control and technique that is only second to Grealish of the player over the last decade or two. But apparently the management team isn't as impressed, they perhaps demand him to be more aggressive and swithed on all game.

• Like 1

He’s a very tidy footballer but part of me has always wondered if he’s got that real edge to his game that we need. He’s not particularly quick or strong and he doesn’t come across as very aggressive. 

I know people on here rate him, and I do too to an extent (especially as he’s about to come into his prime), but I can see why perhaps Gerrard doesn’t. I certainly don’t think he’s our best midfielder either. 

As someone else mentioned, if we can get a fee upwards of £25m now, I think we’d be tempted to sell as he’s only going to decrease in value if he doesn’t sign a new contract. We also need to balance the books and I think the club are happier giving Ramsey and McGinn new, improved contracts above Luiz who may be asking for £100k a week (pure speculation). 

Personally, I’d sell and throw the lot at Bissouma. Not sure I’ve mentioned it before..

• Haha 2

Honestly. had a 30m bid come in, I think the club would be considering it, but it obviously depends on who we can bring in.

This noise around Luiz is accelerating. I don't think he'll leave this window but It's certainly not definite. I wouldn't be surprised if we moved him on if we secured a replacement (or two). 

8 minutes ago, RichW said:

Seems to be a lot of noise past few days regarding Luiz so I think there's definitely something in it. Guess if we do see Villa linked with more midfielders then we know why. 

Or there are lots of "journalists" who have no inside knowledge about anything looking at our interest in Bentancur and thinking to themselves "ah he must be competition / a replacement for Luiz" and therefore either breaking a rumour (or repeating a rumour) that we have to sell him.

17 minutes ago, RichW said:

Seems to be a lot of noise past few days regarding Luiz so I think there's definitely something in it. Guess if we do see Villa linked with more midfielders then we know why. 

Nah journalists just dont like that Villa continue to do things so automatically link players away...

• Like 1

I assume the other club is Newcastle? Personally, I can see Arsenal being interested, just not sure they'd be willing to cough up the £30m+ we would need.

Honestly, if we sold Luiz for £30m and brought in Bissouma for £40m, it would be a cracking bit of business (tin hat on). 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

I assume the other club is Newcastle? Personally, I can see Arsenal being interested, just not sure they'd be willing to cough up the £30m+ we would need.

Honestly, if we sold Luiz for £30m and brought in Bissouma for £40m, it would be a cracking bit of business (tin hat on). 

I actually agree with you. 

36 minutes ago, Loxstock92 said:

I like Luiz and would like to see him sign a new deal, but we can't ignore that his contract has less than 18 months to go. 

I don't like playing Luiz as a 6 and would much prefer him as an 8 rotated with Ramsey or McGinn and a new DM coming in, but would still like to see him stay long term and think there is a hell of a lot more to come from him given he's only 23.

Having said that, if we did turn down a 30m offer (and the accuracy here is disputable given it is the Standard) then we may have been a bit hasty especially as we could have used that money +10-15m of our own money to buy Bissouma. That would be worth losing Luiz for because we've got a potentially world class player to replace him.

But I see Luiz staying until summer even if we bring in Bentancur (which is not definite given it has now gone completely quiet). I think we'll spend the next 3-4 months seeing if we can tie him down on a 5-year contract, as we will with Carney, and if it doesn't happen look to move him on in summer. IMO anyway. 

1 minute ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

If he goes to Newcastle then I’d be disappointed I do wonder how much more they would offer him.  If it’s not a substantial amount then maybe he’s not the right character for the club after all.

FWIW I think he’ll sign a new contract and stay. 

I do love your continued optimism.

• Like 1

Â