Douglas Luiz

LondonLax

44 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I think one things that's perhaps missed from the debate is that if we sign someone who is more naturally defensive for our midfield line, we're still going to need competition for that player - Luiz is better than Nakamba as a six, and for me he's at least a match for Sanson as an eight.

If we buy a six, then my preference would be to move Nakamba on.

With Nakamba in the side Luiz was brilliant though, he's been good as a 6, don't get me wrong, but the way gerrard pushes the 2 8s wide at times seemed to really suit him. He turned some pretty shit tight situations into opportunities for us on a load of occasions. Plus it means he gets into a shooting position way more often. I think signing a 6 is key to keeping Luiz happy and getting the best out of him. If it's a top class 6 then it'll mean we have more of the ball and so Luiz will also get more touches and be in the game more. Luiz at 6 might be good enough but it takes away a lot from his game and the team as a whole for me. Luiz, Ramsey, McGinn and Sanson competing for 2 places is the stuff of dreams compared to only a few seasons ago. If one's off the boil then we've finally got the depth off the bench to deal with it.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, romavillan said:

With Nakamba in the side Luiz was brilliant though, he's been good as a 6, don't get me wrong, but the way gerrard pushes the 2 8s wide at times seemed to really suit him. He turned some pretty shit tight situations into opportunities for us on a load of occasions. Plus it means he gets into a shooting position way more often. I think signing a 6 is key to keeping Luiz happy and getting the best out of him. If it's a top class 6 then it'll mean we have more of the ball and so Luiz will also get more touches and be in the game more. Luiz at 6 might be good enough but it takes away a lot from his game and the team as a whole for me. Luiz, Ramsey, McGinn and Sanson competing for 2 places is the stuff of dreams compared to only a few seasons ago. If one's off the boil then we've finally got the depth off the bench to deal with it.

I agree with all that - but I'm also happier with that new number six being backed up by Luiz than I am with him being backed up by Nakamba. I think he's the only player we have that can play in all three of the midfield positions - he can compete with everybody for a spot.

• Like 4

I think this is the essential problem that both Doug and SJM are better playing more forward and neither are really natural defensive midfielders. Luiz didn't cost a lot when we bought him and if we don't have a position for him in the long term, it is not a completely stupid idea if we sell him in the summer for about 25-30 mil. That would be still a return on investment.

• Like 1

Gerrard wants two quality players for each position. If we get Bentancur then he has his wish -

McGinn - Luiz

Bentancur - Nakamba

Ramsey - Sanson

We also have Chukwuemeka but i'm not sure if he's belongs in the centre midfield category or the attacking midfield category. 

• Like 2

£30 Million Sounds like a good offer for Douglas Luiz
Its either he signs a contract or he goes. Hopefully we can sort this out before Monday, Longer we leave it the less money we get for him in the summer

1 hour ago, villalad21 said:

I think Gerrard see's him as an 8 and we've got enough 8's as it is.

Ramsey, McGinn, Sanson. Potentially also Carney.

Would makes sense to offload one of them honestly especially if we sign this Rodrigo guy.

Offloading Sanson would be the best move quality wise, but not sure how much Villa could get for him.

3 hours ago, PaulMcGrath_5 said:

Dougie just retweeted this. Read into that what you will!

Look at the quality in this picture. Insane how far we've come in just 3 years. 3 years ago it would have been Whelan, Hourihane, Elmo and Adomah hovering over the free kick.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, a m ole said:

I see Nakamba’s fantastic few games at the start of the season have elevated him from not good enough in a side trying to survive in the league to better than Luiz?

I love Marv, it’s just the change in the narrative is interesting.

Football memories doesn't extend beyond the last game or two. So right now Marv is the second coming of Kante and Luiz is just "meh".

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, a m ole said:

I see Nakamba’s fantastic few games at the start of the season have elevated him from not good enough in a side trying to survive in the league to better than Luiz?

I love Marv, it’s just the change in the narrative is interesting.

Not at the start of the season, Marv was relatively poor then. It’s all about those first four and a half Gerrard games. I wonder how Nakamba will succeed as a 6 against lesser teams, when Villa want vi more possession and control. He is obviously great when we are under constant attack.

40 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

I think this is the essential problem that both Doug and SJM are better playing more forward and neither are really natural defensive midfielders. Luiz didn't cost a lot when we bought him and if we don't have a position for him in the long term, it is not a completely stupid idea if we sell him in the summer for about 25-30 mil. That would be still a return on investment.

How much we paid for him is irrelevant to whether it's sensible to sell him now. Sunk cost fallacy.

All that matters really is - do we see him as a long-term first team regular? Is he happy at the club? Is he easy to replace at a sensible price? Can we get a good price for him on the market?

IMO the answers are:

• Yes, both Smith and Gerrard have started him regularly since he joined, and because of his versatility he provides injury/suspension cover at 6 and 8 (positions where people get injured & suspended a lot), even if we strengthen in those positions.
  • He seems pretty happy from what I can see!
  • Really hard to replace - how many players his age have his quality at CM and are available to buy?
  • Good price? Probably from a team like Arsenal, yes. So perhaps if someone came in with silly money we'd let him go.

But that last point is the only thing working in favour of the transfer IMO. Everything else points to him staying.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Danke Frau Lehmann 😉

Just regarding die gute Frau and recognising the large turnover of players from season to season in the women‘s game, how long is she contracted for? We don’t want Dougie to be too upset if she heads off for pastures new. 

19 minutes ago, sparrow1988 said:

Just regarding die gute Frau and recognising the large turnover of players from season to season in the women‘s game, how long is she contracted for? We don’t want Dougie to be too upset if she heads off for pastures new. 

I'm sure someone will invent a way for incredibly rich people to travel quickly in the meantime

7 minutes ago, romavillan said:

I'm sure someone will invent a way for incredibly rich people to travel quickly in the meantime

I don’t know. Maybe he’s spending every free minute with her which suddenly changes to once a week leading to a disillusioned Dougie.🤷🏻‍♂️

• Like 1

Â