Douglas Luiz

LondonLax

I've been baffled at his role in the last few games. I do really like him even as a DM, especially if we can have more possession, despite the negatives in his game.

However recently he doesn't seem to play as a DM at all compared to pre Gerrard. Which means he doesn't help the centre backs as much. There's so much reliance on the other 2 midfielders covering the full backs but expected to attack too. Then if the CB's don't have help from the DM they are less effective further wide as well.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, AlwaysAVFC said:

I've been baffled at his role in the last few games. I do really like him even as a DM, especially if we can have more possession, despite the negatives in his game.

However recently he doesn't seem to play as a DM at all compared to pre Gerrard. Which means he doesn't help the centre backs as much. There's so much reliance on the other 2 midfielders covering the full backs but expected to attack too. Then if the CB's don't have help from the DM they are less effective further wide as well.

I have been baffled in his role since his debut.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, sparrow1988 said:

I’m seeing a lot of people suggesting needs to be dropped and so on but apart from the 2 misplaced passes which were poor was he really that bad?

No, he overall had a decent game imo. Just those passes were pretty bad and another day would've cost us the game.

• Like 1

Had a very decent first-half and really, apart from the two wayward passes, was quite solid all round. Looked up for it too and got stuck in. Unlucky to be booked. Faded in the second half and the substitution was needed.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Laughable Chimp said:

No, he overall had a decent game imo. Just those passes were pretty bad and another day would've cost us the game.

I thought that he was pretty good overall. I was just wondering where the needs to be dropped stuff is coming from.
Cost us the game is a bit strong. 8/9 times out of 10 that amounts to nothing. You do it against City or Liverpool and it’ll cost you the game. 

I thought he seemed to get up the pitch a bit more today, still dropped to get ball but seemed like a little tweak to how the 3 played.  Yes there was 2 bad passes, but his midfield partners also lost ball dribbling across Half which created better openings.

I don’t get all this should be dropped, he is not a DM but gets out there to suit our system.

Edited by MattVillaPortsmouth

Personally thought he was terrible yesterday.

He showed absolutely no composure on the ball, giving it away multiple times; and off the ball he is just too weak with his challenges.

As I have always said, I think he can offer us something in the number 8 role; but he's not good enough in the 6.

Iroegbunam looks ideal for the DM role for me, and surprised with his build and composure when he came on.

If he isn't going to sign a new contract, he should be taken out of the team. 

He can be brought back in if we're really struggling and it looks like he'll help.

There's no benefit to playing him over a very similar standard player in Sanson and a potentially very good one in young Tim.

He'll lose minimal value and he's making sure he doesn't get injured already.

I would very much like him to sign a new deal, but if it isn't going to happen, let's not waste the chance to get others some PL minutes.

He's hopped into bed with Kia Joorabchian who will be going for the most money possible over any sort of future prospects for the player. If that's what Doug wants, so be it.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, tomav84 said:

mcginn could do the CDM role as he puts himself about more than luiz

I don't think he'd be good there at all. Not enough positional discipline, and not enough discipline in possession either.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Tom13 said:

I don't think he'd be good there at all. Not enough positional discipline, and not enough discipline in possession either.

It would be tactical suicide sticking McGinn as DCM. As bad/good any one thinks Luiz is, he's light years ahead of any other of our seniors players as DCM. I wouldn't be against starting Iroegbunam, but if we play anyone else DCM we'll soon see what difference Luiz can make.

• Like 2

Â