Douglas Luiz

LondonLax

His performances had dipped fair bit, no bones about it but the last few games he's looked absolutely class. 

We know how good he can be which is why it's not harsh to wonder why he'd been quite poor/average for a decent period of time. He's playing with that relaxed style as usual but with far more clinical precision. 

Top marks, hopefully he can sustain this sort of form. 

• Like 1

I always criticise him, but have to give credit where it's due.

This system really suits him.

Same might be said of several of our players though, the balance seems inch perfect now.

Phil might have inspired him to raise his game. Seems he has remembered how to take good set pieces, and shoot again as well.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Keyblade said:

Don't care even if he's not in the best form, we need to tie this guy down to a contract. 23 years old, Brazilian international, 100 PL appearances. We'd be paying 50m for that player if we wanted him and he played for another team.

I agree, but I don’t think we can keep all of our CM’s happy. I think we’ll probably let one go this summer. Especially as we’ll definitely be signing a starting defensive midfielder. 

For Luiz, he knows we're signing a new CDM so he has to compete with JJ for starting time next season. That might be a factor in his thinking. I'd like him to sign an extension but if he doesn't we will still get a big fee for him and we're not massively short in those 8 positions. While overall Luiz is better cover for 6 than Nakamba. Luiz is a versatile midfielder who is good for the squad.

9 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I always criticise him, but have to give credit where it's due.

This system really suits him.

Same might be said of several of our players though, the balance seems inch perfect now.

Phil might have inspired him to raise his game. Seems he has remembered how to take good set pieces, and shoot again as well.

Its funny how a tweak in the system makes a big difference. It s only a few games ago that people on here were demanding a massive upheaval of the squad as it wasn't balanced and some players (including Luiz) were not good enough. 

With Phil, I do agree that others have stepped up their game and are influenced by him. I'm seeing players take more risks and try audacious moves & skills since he arrived. Also team mates probably don't want to let him down when he plays perfect passes into him. 

• Like 1

So happy Gerrard finally tweaked the system so that Dougie no longer ends up alone in central midfield.

I was **** sick of the sight of Villa exposed in yet another turnover, Cash and Digne nowhere to be seen and McGinn & Ramsey defending out wide, while Dougie desperately tries to chase after two or three attacking players down the centre of the pitch.

This is so much more like it. Villa in control, defenders defending, Ginny and Ramsey more central and Dougie keeping the passing ticking.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Look how high his foot is. Its dangerous and inflicted serious dmage. Its a red to me! 

GettyImages-1239157322-1.jpg

I think the reason it wasn't given was that lanzini didn't see Luiz, so wasn't intentional. For me that is irrelevant... If you put your boot that high there is potential to hit someone in the face and is dangerous behaviour. 

Â