Douglas Luiz

LondonLax

Douglas Luiz 'doesn't want' to play current role at Aston Villa - claim

Douglas Luiz has been used as a holding midfielder since the injury to Marvelous Nakamba which is a role Dean Jones believes the player doesn't want to operate within

Douglas Luiz has been used in a defensive role in midfield since Marvelous Nakamba suffered an injury and it is a role that some believe the player doesn't wish to play in.

Dean Jones is a transfer insider who provides news for GiveMeSport and whilst speaking to the platform he stated this regarding the current situation for the Brazilian: “Douglas Luiz doesn’t really want to play there.

"He doesn’t want to be playing in the deepest role.

"I think Gerrard understands that and he’s just been using him there while he had to.”

Luiz's best games in an Aston Villa shirt this season have arrived when the player has been utilised in a 'number 8' role instead of the holding midfielder role he is currently playing. In the 3-0 win against Everton he helped break the deadlock with a sublime pass for Matty Cash to latch on to and also operated as the eight against Manchester City, where he recorded another assist, five key passes, two clearances and two interceptions.

Steven Gerrard himself also sees Luiz playing further forward, which was outlined in the 2-1 win at Crystal Palace. Gerrard chose to substitute Luiz on in the 67th minute and instead of opting for a straight swap of the booked Nakamba, he swapped him for Jacob Ramsey who was operating further up the pitch.

Just three games later, Nakamba suffered a severe knee injury against Liverpool and since this moment, Luiz has had to operate as a stop-gap defensive midfielder. Villa have little to no other options to turn to in this position, unless they wanted to trial Morgan Sanson in an unfamiliar role, take a chance on young Tim Iroegbunam or allow Calum Chambers to play there.

It isn't ideal for Luiz, however it is currently necessary given the current situation in the squad. Villa opted against signing a defensive midfielder in January, with several players being linked throughout the month.

Douglas Luiz 'doesn't want' to play current role at Aston Villa - claim - Birmingham Live (birminghammail.co.uk)

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Slow news day guys.

At least I tried to contribute. 

lol

Good news, apparently there is some brouhaha happening down in Ukraine.

• Shocked 1

On 26/02/2022 at 17:45, sparrow1988 said:

I’m seeing a lot of people suggesting needs to be dropped and so on but apart from the 2 misplaced passes which were poor was he really that bad?

I think it depends what you expect from him, but he has come out and said he doesn't like playing there...... most players don't like playing, where they are not very good.

He is like marmite....you get it, or you don't.

23 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Douglas Luiz 'doesn't want' to play current role at Aston Villa - claim

Douglas Luiz has been used as a holding midfielder since the injury to Marvelous Nakamba which is a role Dean Jones believes the player doesn't want to operate within

Douglas Luiz has been used in a defensive role in midfield since Marvelous Nakamba suffered an injury and it is a role that some believe the player doesn't wish to play in.

Dean Jones is a transfer insider who provides news for GiveMeSport and whilst speaking to the platform he stated this regarding the current situation for the Brazilian: “Douglas Luiz doesn’t really want to play there.

"He doesn’t want to be playing in the deepest role.

"I think Gerrard understands that and he’s just been using him there while he had to.”

Luiz's best games in an Aston Villa shirt this season have arrived when the player has been utilised in a 'number 8' role instead of the holding midfielder role he is currently playing. In the 3-0 win against Everton he helped break the deadlock with a sublime pass for Matty Cash to latch on to and also operated as the eight against Manchester City, where he recorded another assist, five key passes, two clearances and two interceptions.

Steven Gerrard himself also sees Luiz playing further forward, which was outlined in the 2-1 win at Crystal Palace. Gerrard chose to substitute Luiz on in the 67th minute and instead of opting for a straight swap of the booked Nakamba, he swapped him for Jacob Ramsey who was operating further up the pitch.

Just three games later, Nakamba suffered a severe knee injury against Liverpool and since this moment, Luiz has had to operate as a stop-gap defensive midfielder. Villa have little to no other options to turn to in this position, unless they wanted to trial Morgan Sanson in an unfamiliar role, take a chance on young Tim Iroegbunam or allow Calum Chambers to play there.

It isn't ideal for Luiz, however it is currently necessary given the current situation in the squad. Villa opted against signing a defensive midfielder in January, with several players being linked throughout the month.

Douglas Luiz 'doesn't want' to play current role at Aston Villa - claim - Birmingham Live (birminghammail.co.uk)

I don't want him playing that role either.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Phil Silvers said:

I'd much rather see him played as an 8 and we get in a top class 6. Dougie doesn't get JJ's place though for me, he will have to battle SJM for the other spot, JJ is our best 8 imo.

This.

JJ, Dougie and a more defensive minded player in support is the way forward.

• Like 1

Â