Douglas Luiz

LondonLax

6 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

Didn’t he get a new contract lat year?

I can't remember that, would imagine there would've been a lot of debate here as to whether the clause had been removed/bought out had he signed a new contract. Also, Transfermarkt has his contract down as expiring June 2023, so I assume not.

2 years left means we probably do need to give him a new contract this summer. I know he's been touch and go, but I'd still give him a 5 year deal. 

• Like 1

He is one of the few not to sign a new deal the last two years, and it looks like it was due to the clause. I would imagine a new deal will be on the table this summer with the buy back leaving today. 

I know he can be hit and miss but he's only just turned 23. I still expect big things from him.

Edited by RichiBoi11

4 hours ago, yayoboy said:

Suspended, yellow cards accumulation iirc

Gives some perspective that he's made so many appearances for Brazil this season that he's accumulated enough yellow cards to be suspended. Great progress from him and from us as a club, from a midtable Championship team to one that has a fully fledged Brazil international playing for them. And we're even debating if he should even be first choice for the foreseeable.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, jacketspuds said:

I’m surprised Man City don’t just sign him anyway, then either keep him as a squad player now that Fernandinho has left, or sell him on for a profit.

You think they can sell him for more than £35m?

As far as I can the find the initial June 5th date for the expiration of the buyout dates back to a Gregg Evans' Athletic article back in January. But strange hay? how the buyout clause is meant to be expiring on the day of today but there are no current reports on the matter.

If man City 

3 minutes ago, useless said:

As far as I can the find the initial June 5th date for the expiration of the buyout dates back to a Gregg Evans' Athletic article back in January. But strange hay? how the buyout clause is meant to be expiring on the day of today but there are no current reports on the matter.

Its because its tiny news....the only people that would have an interest are nerds like us that read up on contract small print!

Edited by Nigel

I think he has enormous potential, but I am not sure we are utilising him in his best position. I think he is better than he shows for us.

Perhaps some of you who are more knowledgeable than me (that's most of you 😀), could comment, as I might be totally wrong?

Also cannot seem to find any relevant information about what position he plays for Brazil.

If he is good enough for Brazil in that position...................y'know?

It would be pretty big news to Villa and Man City fans, his buyout clause has been pretty much the most talked about subject relating to Luiz on this thread, even more so than his performances, and given that the football news websites will make a story out of anything for the clicks, you'd think if it was common knowledge that today was the day that the buyback was expiring that they'd be writing about it.

Man City wanting to buy him back was always incredibly unlikely even when he was playing at his best, they already have better, they can buy better, and even at his best he wasn't so good that they'd make a big profit on whatever it would cost to trigger the buyback clause.

Notice how he was never linked with a move to another top club, if he was so good that he was good enough for Man City to buy him then there would have been other top teams linked to him, of course people will say that other teams didn't have a buyback clause, but the point is that Man City wouldn't just buy him back because they could, or because he'd be cheap, they'd only buy if he was genuinely good enough for them and again if he was genuinely good enough for them then there would be other teams wanting to sign him.

Also it doesn't matter what kind of a season he's had, you can bet if it was common knowledge that the buyout clause was ending today then there would be countless articles written about it, given the buyback clause is pretty much all people have talked about in relation to Luiz for over a year now, then the fact that it's expiring is quite a big story, definitely big enough that you'd think it would have some coverage.

All Luiz has is potential based on where he was a year ago. Based on last season's form, City wouldn't touch him with a bargepole and I'd be very disappointed if we did. Last season he was mediocre at best and if we want to kick on then we need much better that what he served up most weeks.

Personally I would be totally overjoyed if City took him off us !

Â