Björn Engels

Delphinho123

8 hours ago, Enda said:

Very short memory, Kenji.

McCormack, N’Zogbia, Richards, and Balaban were all much much worse signings. Then we’ve Ireland, Lescott, Beye who were very bad business but not worst ever. It hasn’t worked out with Bjorn but he’s more Kozak level of poor business.

12728D2A-41A6-47F0-8BD9-373FF8F61EA5.jpeg

9 hours ago, Villa Gaffa said:

They wouldnt let engels leave unless they were confident in completing a deal or have already have completed a deal for a replacement. Will we see a new signing this week ? if we do then the club is absolutely steam rolling through this transfer window

There's a decent chap playing for England at the mo, supposedly keeping their best defender out.

Oh hang on

12 hours ago, Wezbid said:

How much fee have we got back? How much wages was he on? It hasn't worked out for him but Mings has always been good and Ezri developed hugely in a short period of time and has barely picked up an injury or long suspension. It doesn't mean he was an awful signing, we just had better than him. He was less than £10m. That's not a lot in this day and age. Hause is an excemption, not the rule. 

He did well for first 10 games I though, him and Mings looked a good combination. Then the errors started creeping in and think DS seemed to lose all confidence after his performance in the Southampton game when of course Shane Long had his annual game of the season v us and gave him the runaround.

Shame it didn't work out but ultimately he's just spend a year without playing and has two years left so makes sense to move him on even if we have to take a bit of hit with the fee.

Does amuse me a few posters seem to think we're still in about 2007, 7m which I think we signed him for is barely anything at prem level and would guess he'd be on 30-40k.

People are aware clubs we're trying to finish above from next season are signing full backs and central defenders for 30-40m nowadays? And we're arguing a CB signed for 7m was one of our worst value signings and complete waste of money.:lol:

• Like 2

19 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Maybe Revan has impressed enough with his display against Liverpool and the loan to Weston to be considered 4th choice backup? 

I would be amazed if that happened, don't forget aswell AEM played a few games in the cup aswell at CB so we've lost that utility option.

Three senior CBs is nowhere near enough, especially if we want a good cup run this season so we'll get in another one for sure although would expect it to be Konsa type who can be back up for six months and then hopefully develop and challenge for starting spot.

7 hours ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

I N'Zogbia was a better signing imo, but that's not my point. You could name 20 worse signings and relatively speaking he'd still be one of our worst signings.

McCormack, Lescott, Richards, Baston, Hogan, Samatta, Kalinic, Lansbury, Jota, Drinkwater, Elphick, De light, Tshibola, Crespo, Illiori. All of those were a worse signings, and most of them came when we were down. All of them from the relegation year until now. We could still go back and find a lot of them. Yes some of them were loans, some didn’t cost us much, but at the same time Engels didn’t cost us that much, and it’s not his issue that Konsa improved to be one of the best defenders in the league.

I am also in the camp of this not being a disaster signing.

Didn’t cost a lot. Didn’t work out. Didn’t get us much back.  And as far as I’m aware wasn’t a total clearing in the woods.

No biggy. We move on.

• Like 4

He seemed to lose a bit of pace over the first couple of yards when there were rumours of him having a niggle when he didn't get called up by Belgium (seems fanciful thinking about playing for Belgium now doesn't it?).  He may just have never had it and it took a while for other teams to realise and exploit it.  His other defensive attributes looked fine to me.  Good luck to him, it would just be nice for him to play some football.

13 minutes ago, TomC said:

The Guardian is reporting the fee as £2.6m...

https://www.theguardian.com/football/ng-interactive/2021/jun/07/mens-transfer-window-summer-2021-all-deals-from-europes-top-five-leagues

So 7.2m in, 2.6 out, a 4.6m loss. If you aspire to be a big club, that's not much.

Wow, we've sold an actual player for actual cash.  It's been rarer than hens teeth for us. 

OK percentage wise it's a pretty big loss but I've become so used to having to give away our players it comes as almost a suprise that we manage to get cash for anyone. 

I reckon we got cash for Hogan and Bree last summer probably at losses. 

I wonder who the last player was that we sold for an actual profit? We've been a basket case for so long now. 

I am so looking forward to the day we sell a player who is surplus to requirements at an actual profit.  Then you know we are pushing on. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, abdulaziz1 said:

McCormack, Lescott, Richards, Baston, Hogan, Samatta, Kalinic, Lansbury, Jota, Drinkwater, Elphick, De light, Tshibola, Crespo, Illiori. All of those were a worse signings, and most of them came when we were down. All of them from the relegation year until now. We could still go back and find a lot of them. Yes some of them were loans, some didn’t cost us much, but at the same time Engels didn’t cost us that much, and it’s not his issue that Konsa improved to be one of the best defenders in the league.

No chance. Absolutely no chance.

6 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

If he did nothing else at least he reminded us of the philosophical divide between idealism and materialism

Also about the condition of the working class in England. Will have given Sawiris and Edens food for thought, I bet!

Â