Björn Engels

Delphinho123

5 hours ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

I dunno. He's up there.

Can you name a lot of worse transfers? Big fee and big wages.

How much fee have we got back? How much wages was he on? It hasn't worked out for him but Mings has always been good and Ezri developed hugely in a short period of time and has barely picked up an injury or long suspension. It doesn't mean he was an awful signing, we just had better than him. He was less than £10m. That's not a lot in this day and age. Hause is an excemption, not the rule. 

• Like 2

He's what I'd call an ineffective signing. What he cost wasn't a massive amount in 2019 money (although not peanuts either) and I assume he wasn't on massive wages, nor have we heard any evidence that he was a particularly disruptive influence in the dressing room.

Nowhere near say, Stephen Ireland levels of bad.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Mantis said:

He's what I'd call an ineffective signing. What he cost wasn't a massive amount in 2019 money (although not peanuts either) and I assume he wasn't on massive wages, nor have we heard any evidence that he was a particularly disruptive influence in the dressing room.

Nowhere near say, Stephen Ireland levels of bad.

Who was our player of the season 2011-12! 😅

15 minutes ago, Mantis said:

Yeah I know, but tbf basically everyone was shit that season.

Yes, but it's unbelievable that Ireland got our player of season. I don't know how we managed to stay up that season.

They wouldnt let engels leave unless they were confident in completing a deal or have already have completed a deal for a replacement. Will we see a new signing this week ? if we do then the club is absolutely steam rolling through this transfer window

• Like 2

8 hours ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

I dunno. He's up there.

Can you name a lot of worse transfers? Big fee and big wages.

Very short memory, Kenji.

McCormack, N’Zogbia, Richards, and Balaban were all much much worse signings. Then we’ve Ireland, Lescott, Beye who were very bad business but not worst ever. It hasn’t worked out with Bjorn but he’s more Kozak level of poor business.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Enda said:

McCormack, N’Zogbia, Richards, and Balaban were all much much worse signings. Then we’ve Ireland, Lescott, Beye who were very bad business but not worst ever. It hasn’t worked out with Bjorn but he’s more Kozak level of poor business.

Engels started so well, I fondly remember his debut away at Spurs, he was outstanding. It’s a shame that he’s left, I thought he was a very good player 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

Engels started so well, I fondly remember his debut away at Spurs, he was outstanding. It’s a shame that he’s left, I thought he was a very good player 

Too right. Good to have you back, SGC. Bjorn seemed an honest player and put in some real performances for us.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Enda said:

Too right. Good to have you back, SGC. Bjorn seemed an honest player and put in some real performances for us.

He must’ve had a falling out with the manager, I hope we bring in Axel Tuanzebe as his replacement 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Wezbid said:

How much fee have we got back? How much wages was he on? It hasn't worked out for him but Mings has always been good and Ezri developed hugely in a short period of time and has barely picked up an injury or long suspension. It doesn't mean he was an awful signing, we just had better than him. He was less than £10m. That's not a lot in this day and age. Hause is an excemption, not the rule. 

7.2 I think it was. We probably got a few million for him.

certainly not the worst transfer we have ever done. I can think of dozens more 

1 hour ago, Enda said:

I N'Zogbia was a better signing imo, but that's not my point. You could name 20 worse signings and relatively speaking he'd still be one of our worst signings.

Edited by KenjiOgiwara

Interesting to see the fee we got for him, presuming it would only be around half what we bought him for which was up to 9m reportedly, but don't believe he would of met many clauses in that deal.

Seemed a nice guy and put in some promising performances early on in his Villa career, hopefully he can reignite his career again in an easier league.

Biggest problem I saw with Engels was his pace or lack of it. I think this league was just to quick for him but I won’t fault his effort. I’m also on the bring back Axe bang wagon he is wasting a potentially very good career at Utd where they don’t rate or appreciate him.

• Like 1

This is an example of a transfer that worked at the time, but that the club and the talent on the pitch have moved on. The coaching staff clearly think that Engels isn’t the level we’re now aiming for.

We, as fans, looking for the usual signs of failed Villa transfer business because we’re so used to that being the narrative. But, in this case, his departure just shows how far we’ve come in a short space.

Good luck to you, Bjorn. But it’s onwards and upwards for us. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

He must’ve had a falling out with the manager, I hope we bring in Axel Tuanzebe as his replacement 

Tuanzebe is far too injury prone

• Like 1

Â