Ezri Konsa

MaVilla

Bit of a strange one for Ezri. Think he's been picked because of his versatility in playing at RB or CB, however his form has really dropped off for Villa playing out of position. He just isn't a RB and too standoffish when stopping crosses and often drifts inside. Understandable given his natural position.

Truth is I never want to see him play RB again.

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, NorthEastVillan said:

Bit of a strange one for Ezri. Think he's been picked because of his versatility in playing at RB or CB, however his form has really dropped off for Villa playing out of position. He just isn't a RB and too standoffish when stopping crosses and often drifts inside. Understandable given his natural position.

I think Pau Mings Konsa back 3 looks perfect balance for me. Konsa as RCB but when defending in a 4 4 2 he's in RB. It works for me. Lack of Mings and then Kamara doesn't help him

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, NorthEastVillan said:

He had plenty of decent games at right back.  He dipped after his injury as well as losing Kamara as the protector in midfield.  The whole defensive unit lost a bit of form, along with some crucial games where they played well sprinkled in.  He is a very good centre back and right back in Unai's system imo, the defensive midfield role is something that we will get more depth in the summer I'm sure.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tomaszk said:

Very much deserved. One of our better players.

Wouldn't be surprised to see him move to RB more full time. Just like Foyth ended up doing at Villarreal.

He's excellent out there.

Better at CB for me. Doesn't make enough progressive passes from RB.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

Oh yeah. He's better at CB.

Still an excellent RB though. Plus gives us some set piece strength that most RBs won't.

Played the full game at RB in wins at Spurs & Arsenal and home v City & Arsenal.

• Like 1

His form has dipped off for the reasons mentioned by others so he's quite fortunate that it shouldn't affect his chances of make the squad too much. He also played well in the friendlies.

Trippier has been cr@p this year but needs to be in the squad for LB cover, Stones has been out the City team for a while it seems (guessing an injury) so this only leaves Walker as a RB who can actually defend (TAA can't at international level). Also rather have him partner Maguire than Lewis Dunk

There is no doubt our system of Dinge Pau Konsa and Cash where Kamara dropped into RCB and Luiz and McGinn were the 2 pivots in possession. That worked so well. 

Konsa is great because he's versatile for the RB/RCB

Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, CVByrne said:

There is no doubt our system of Dinge Pau Konsa and Cash where Kamara dropped into RCB and Luiz and McGinn were the 2 pivots in possession. That worked so well. 

Konsa is great because he's versatile for the RB/RCB

I thought Konsa's first name was Ezri?

Un pan Cuna Profesor oxford comma meme grandma compensación nosotros Gladys

Edited by PaulMcGrath_5
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I think he'll be one of the 7 to not make the final squad, but also not the worst thing in the world if he gets more time to rest and recover over the summer after a gruelling season

51 minutes ago, jayEm said:

I think he'll be one of the 7 to not make the final squad, but also not the worst thing in the world if he gets more time to rest and recover over the summer after a gruelling season

I don't know. At the rate things are going, England might just need him for left back!

4 hours ago, sharkyvilla said:

He had plenty of decent games at right back.  He dipped after his injury as well as losing Kamara as the protector in midfield.  The whole defensive unit lost a bit of form, along with some crucial games where they played well sprinkled in.  He is a very good centre back and right back in Unai's system imo, the defensive midfield role is something that we will get more depth in the summer I'm sure.

Very true, kamara operating as a 5th defender at times really helped us. After he was injured the responsibility fell to Bailey to help cover that side, and that's just not his game. A dedicated DM is such a must have this window. 

8 hours ago, Tom13 said:

Imo his passing has always been a confidence issue as I think he easily had the technical ability to do it.

At his best this season I really thought he'd turned a corner in making the forward pass or carrying the ball into midfield more regularly. Sadly this has regressed recently, but I expect to see him at his best again next year. 

11 hours ago, Sam-AVFC said:

Imo his passing has always been a confidence issue as I think he easily had the technical ability to do it.

At his best this season I really thought he'd turned a corner in making the forward pass or carrying the ball into midfield more regularly. Sadly this has regressed recently, but I expect to see him at his best again next year. 

I'm less sure he has too much of that in his locker. Probably a competent passer but I don't think he sees them quickly enough - like you say confidence is a part of it also.

• 2 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I think he could start in Euros. Southgate seems to like a centre half at RB.

Unlikely IMO.

No chance ahead of Walker RB. Or Trent.

He'll play out of form, awful Trippier at LB ahead of him. Then injured Shaw.

This performance has cemented his place in the England squad for the Euro's, now played at right back, left back and centre back.

Incredible versatility.

• Like 2

Â