Wesley Moraes

Tomaszk

16 hours ago, Nigel said:

When he fist arrived folks used to say he was a more a 10 than a 9. 

I'd live to see what he could do in the barkley role!

I like Wes and if he can get back to a good level I think we can utilise him for sure.

But not as an advanced midfielder, I saw very little previously to suggest that he’d be effective in that role.

He’s a striker, and he gets into good positions, I’m more intrigued to see Watkins on the right, Grealish on the left and Wes up top.

2 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

I like Wes and if he can get back to a good level I think we can utilise him for sure.

But not as an advanced midfielder, I saw very little previously to suggest that he’d be effective in that role.

He’s a striker, and he gets into good positions, I’m more intrigued to see Watkins on the right, Grealish on the left and Wes up top.

Thats definitely the expectation and I'd certainlylike to see it tried too.

However I'm not so sure about him as a lone front man.

He did have a tendency to drift back into midfield leaving no one up top. Maybe that was because the team was so weak but you could see where he was comfortable playing.

Definitely an interesting addition to the squad.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

yeah, granted Wesley probably wont be fit this season (may get some game time - but defo not fully up to speed), and its hard to assess because by the time he is fully fit for next season, we will have had a whole summer window to add to the squad.

However, if Wesley were fit right now, i think our best forward 3 would be Grealish - Watkins - Traore or Grealish - Wesley - Watkins.

I think we have 4 players worthy of the battle for the front 3 positions, specifically Grealish, Watkins, Wesley & Traore, so in my mind we need 2 additions in the front 3 area in the summer, who need to be the next level or two up from what we have on avarage.

Will be interesting to see who we add in the forward positions over the summer, because we definitely need it (& midfield).

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Or Watkins left, Grealish central, Traore right.

• Confused 1

According to Transfermarkt he has 1 career game at RW, 1 career game as second striker and 120 games as center-forward. He is a center-forward.

He played as part of a forward duo in a 3-5-2 at Brugge and that's actually a formation I'd like us to train and have as an second option for next season. Thing we have players that would be suited for it and can sign the ones we lack.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Agree that he isn't suited to play as an advanced midfielder, though as I see it when Barkley has played, at least when we have played 4-2-3-1, he has more or less played in the no 10 role as a second striker, and often being the one pressing as high up as Watkins. Now it is of course small margins where that differs from being an advaned mifielder, but in that role I think Wesley would be perfect.

I think he said that he played attacking mifielder in the beginning of his career, and in the games he played for us he almost all the time fell deep and tried to link up the play, that's probably what he is best at. I was critical to him doing that too much , as I think that at least in the 4-3-3 we were playing we need the forward to make runs behind the defence and in the channels and stretch the opponents, that's exactly what Watkins does. Watkins in his turn has been said he needs to improve his link up play, I think the combo Watkins and Wesley could be a perfect fit in a 4-2-3-1. The problem for me is that I prefer us to play 4-3-3, and in that formation I dont see a role for Wesley other than coming on from the bench at the end of the games. 

2 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Hopefulyl see him on the bench for Fulham match?

My son’s mate played for Sandwell Town and marked Wes on Friday. He commented how rusty he was so I doubt we’ll see him featuring for the first team just yet. 

My Dilemma is Wesley, with a stature similar to a Giroud or a DCL...but does not pose a threat in the air.

He needs to improve his aerial Prowess, IMO to make the impact he requires to fulfill his potential.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Robbie09 said:

My son’s mate played for Sandwell Town and marked Wes on Friday. He commented how rusty he was so I doubt we’ll see him featuring for the first team just yet. 

I don't see him featuring for our first team until next season.

1 hour ago, TRO said:

My Dilemma is Wesley, with a stature similar to a Giroud or a DCL...but does not pose a threat in the air.

He needs to improve his aerial Prowess, IMO to make the impact he requires to fulfill his potential.

Yup, to be fair, when we signed him, Brugge fans said that was probably his biggest weakness, but could be worked on.

Hopefully comes back with some aggression to go along with his size.

2 hours ago, TRO said:

At the moment and this season we haven’t played a way that needs an aerial presence.  Added to that our corners and free kicks have been poor so we need to fix that as well to get any benefit from an aerial presence.  

He’s never going to be that type of player so if we do move to a system that requires aerial presence ie during a game or something I think we need that type of player as an alternative.  Then we sub off Wes and bring on a Giroud type player for that situation.

Wes can always improve and work on things like that but it is never going to be a strength like Tammy/Werner at Chelsea, when they do change slightly tactically they start Giroud or bring him on because Tammy or Werner aren’t those aerial players either.

48 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Hopefully comes back with some aggression

I’m sure that aggression will be there against Burnley next season against a certain Ben Mee

• Like 2

No 10 ? , 2 up front ? .....don't see it myself. The villa coaching staff are in a results business...they won't restructure the first 11 to accommodate Wesley. He either comes in for Watkins or takes the Davis role on the bench.

I think the options of a loan or a move away would have much shorter odds than any significant first 11action for Wesley next season.

10 minutes ago, hippo said:

No 10 ? , 2 up front ? .....don't see it myself. The villa coaching staff are in a results business...they won't restructure the first 11 to accommodate Wesley. He either comes in for Watkins or takes the Davis role on the bench.

I think the options of a loan or a move away would have much shorter odds than any significant first 11action for Wesley next season.

I am interested to see if that’s the case.  It might be the first time Smith has had two decent strikers available since being at Villa.

When he got here he had Tammy and on the out was Kodjia and Hogan.  Then Tammy went back to Chelsea and Wes came in and no second decent back up.  He got injured so we brought in Samatta and then he went and we brought in Ollie.

Obviously KD has been picking up the bibs and cones all during that period but it might be the first time Smith has two strikers he brought, available (when available).  

It will be interesting to see what he does...whether stick as you say or change to two up top or Ollie goes out wide and Wes through the middle in a Firmino/Salah style where although Firmino is central he does drop and Salah comes through and is generally more advanced than Firmino.

Given it’s the first time he’s had two decent strikers to choose it will be interesting what he does.  Might be as you say, might not be.  I’m just glad we’ll have options.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Yup, to be fair, when we signed him, Brugge fans said that was probably his biggest weakness, but could be worked on.

Hopefully comes back with some aggression to go along with his size.

I don't really understand, what we was scouting,then.....its like a goal keeper, not very good with crosses.....its fundamental IMO.

You only had to see Harry Kanes Header today to know, how important for a No9 to have that ability....and how it affects a game....how it changes a game.

If you are a No9, players look for you.....and mainly, its in the air.

I don't see how he can make his mark with us, without that ability.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, nick76 said:

At the moment and this season we haven’t played a way that needs an aerial presence.  Added to that our corners and free kicks have been poor so we need to fix that as well to get any benefit from an aerial presence.  

He’s never going to be that type of player so if we do move to a system that requires aerial presence ie during a game or something I think we need that type of player as an alternative.  Then we sub off Wes and bring on a Giroud type player for that situation.

Wes can always improve and work on things like that but it is never going to be a strength like Tammy/Werner at Chelsea, when they do change slightly tactically they start Giroud or bring him on because Tammy or Werner aren’t those aerial players either.

I just happen to think scoring goals is a difficult thing to do.....so you use every weapon and opportunity, that you can.....so heading goals is a must for me, in conjunction with the usual methods of feet.

To say, we are not set up that way, is in my opinion another way of saying we are a limited team, then.....goal scoring from headers has been a major feature of football since time began.

Only today, you see the importance of a Harry Kanes header, to break the deadlock of a stubborn team in Albania.....its crucial to be able to do it, not an added extra.

I understand that it has its detractors, but while it is still legal, we have to exploit it.....so many goals come from headers, to eliminate ourselves from such a fundamental element of the game, is worrying to say the least.

Â