Wesley Moraes

Tomaszk

12 minutes ago, ozvillafan said:

There's something in that. Consider these players: Walcott, Wilshere, Butt, Fletcher, Bendtner, Cleverly.

I don't rate any of them - but when they were playing either for ManUre or Arsenal they looked more than decent.

But(t) that was before they started picking up injuries and lost interest in football.

On 02/08/2020 at 14:46, Davkaus said:

This is just not true, there must be something incredibly selective being used to spin these stats. I had to have a quick look because it was impossible to believe.

He had 5 goals and 1 assist in 21 games. Aguero got 23/8 in his first PL season. Being generous and doubling Wesley's totals takes him nowhere close. In addition, 10 of those Aguero goals came in the first 12 games, so just considering the first 21 games doesn't work either.

Now obviously nobody expects him to do anywhere near as well as Aguero, but I just picked an extreme example off the top of my head.

He meant this season. So mouse kean, Joelinton, haller etc. 

On 02/08/2020 at 14:53, skarroki said:

Why are we comparing Davis and Wesley? They are different strikers with different strengths, one coming in on a record fee from a different league one coming through the academy. 

One isn't better than the other, they are different. One thing I'd be happy to hang my hat on though, is that Davis wouldn't score 5 goals if he played in the games Wesley played in. The man couldn't finish a sentence

Pedantic but Davis didn’t technically come through the academy, we bought him from Biggleswade Town 3 or 4 years back I think.

• Like 1

On 02/08/2020 at 17:22, Stevo985 said:

Obviously it’s not a huge sample size but it still indicates he was doing better than a lot of people give him credit for

Absolutely agree. All things considered I thought he did pretty well (not spectacular) before his injury. 

10 hours ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Based on me having been to specsavers. 

Aren't you the poster that said Engels would make a better striker than Wesley?

Davis is not, and will never be a half the player Wesley is. If you can't see that then maybe you need get that prescription checked. 

8 hours ago, Philosopher said:

He can finish, which alone makes him our best striker. Works hard too.  I think he's got potential.

Based on the video just posted a page or two ago, he really isn't that good at finishing. Complete myth. 

Not saying he is the worst finisher at the club, but the idea he is some kind master at it is rather silly. 

Edited by KenjiOgiwara

2 hours ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Based on the video just posted a page or two ago, he really isn't that good at finishing. Complete myth. 

Not saying he is the worst finisher at the club, but the idea he is some kind master at it is rather silly. 

Never said he is a master, just that he is decent. I think for a big man his heading is poor. But that means there is lots of room to improve. With his feet he is accurate and does the correct thing of going across the goalkeeper. Whereas Davis (who is fairly accurate with his shooting) always goes near post like a knob, so the keeper always saves! Wesley also disguises his intended finish a bit. Davis is an open book.

He’s a likable guy but nowhere near good enough if we’re being honest. Seems to have come on leaps and bounds with the fanbase since getting injured though! 

Ive never seen a forward with such a weak shot. Pearollers was his trademark, that and playing dead. To get £22m is truly incredible business for that Belgian side.

We need much much better. That being said I hope he come back from his injury with a new lease of life and proves me wrong.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

He’s a likable guy but nowhere near good enough if we’re being honest. Seems to have come on leaps and bounds with the fanbase since getting injured though! 

Ive never seen a forward with such a weak shot. Pearollers was his trademark, that and playing dead. To get £22m is truly incredible business for that Belgian side.

We need much much better. That being said I hope he come back from his injury with a new lease of life and proves me wrong.

Mate you haven't watched the games then. All of his goals have been hit wicked hard along the ground which is how the best strikers score. If you are aiming up it gives you multiple ways to miss and it is easier for the keeper to save. Against Burnley the ball struck pope and because he hit it so hard pope had no chance.

And the reason wesley has come on leaps and bounds as you put it is because we have seen how other strikers have faired in the role we left him with and it was far worse and nearly got us relegated. We got incredibly lucky with trezeguet being clutch. If he didn't score 3 goals in our final 4 games we would be down. Before wesley was injured we were outside the relegation zone and from when he was injured we were pretty much in it constantly until we beat arse. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

I like his finish for his first goal against Norwich, that was really good. You can tell he's got the finisher's touch. Davis would have smashed that into the keeper. Samatta I'm not even sure about, I've rarely seen him have a shot on goal that wasn't a header.

I hope in his down time whilst injured, he’s worked on his English as Luiz did during lock down.

the difference in Luiz being able to communicate better on the pitch has to be a factor in his uprise in form.

i like Wesley and definitely see a player there, maybe understanding the players around him will help him improve too. 

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, theboyangel said:

I hope in his down time whilst injured, he’s worked on his English as Luiz did during lock down.

the difference in Luiz being able to communicate better on the pitch has to be a factor in his uprise in form.

i like Wesley and definitely see a player there, maybe understanding the players around him will help him improve too. 

Pretty sure Wesley spoke quite fluently in English when he signed didn’t he? From memory! 

• Like 1

Just now, villan-scott said:

Pretty sure Wesley spoke quite fluently in English when he signed didn’t he? From memory! 

He was better than Luiz for sure but wouldn’t say fluent. It has definitely been a contributing factor to Luiz improving on the pitch though 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Keyblade said:

I like his finish for his first goal against Norwich, that was really good. You can tell he's got the finisher's touch. Davis would have smashed that into the keeper. Samatta I'm not even sure about, I've rarely seen him have a shot on goal that wasn't a header.

I thought his goal against Arsenal was the best finish, he just nips in front and pokes it in. He needs to get in to those positions more often.

24 minutes ago, villan-scott said:

I had this memory too, but I just watched his welcome interview and (at least the one I watched) is all in Portuguese.

7 hours ago, MotoMkali said:

Mate you haven't watched the games then. All of his goals have been hit wicked hard along the ground which is how the best strikers score. If you are aiming up it gives you multiple ways to miss and it is easier for the keeper to save. Against Burnley the ball struck pope and because he hit it so hard pope had no chance.

All of his goals were indeed hit low and some were well placed near the post, that's clever. Neither was hit "wicked hard" thou as the video a page earlier clearly shows.

First one is a nice run from a through ball by Jota and a nice placed shot that rolls in near the post against Everton, There a are 2 poke ins (Norwich and Arsenal) 1 where he fluffes it slightly but places it well and brings it down on his chest (Norwich again) The Burnley one he ones again controls it on his chest and hits hit low right at the keeper who has no time to react 

My favorite by far is the one against the Liverpool kids in the cup, almost Henry-like that finish.

If you look at the highlights from the season before it's rather similar. He doesn't strike the ball cleanly most times but the shots are often pretty well placed, perfectly fine IMO. Same with his heading where he often tries to head it down into the ground rather than up. Also makes it harder for the keeper.

As for his English it seems OK at least.

Hope the guy can recover from his injury as we'll need options next season.

Â