Wesley Moraes

Tomaszk

1 minute ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Suspect he ment for last season. Which is fully possible knowing how prolific Joelinton and Haller was. 

Ah, that seems a bit more reasonable, and a much easier to believe stat, but yes, as you suggest, somewhat damning with faint praise.

Why are we comparing Davis and Wesley? They are different strikers with different strengths, one coming in on a record fee from a different league one coming through the academy. 

One isn't better than the other, they are different. One thing I'd be happy to hang my hat on though, is that Davis wouldn't score 5 goals if he played in the games Wesley played in. The man couldn't finish a sentence

• Like 1

I think it's a worthwhile comparison, because for all the talk of potential in Davis, he's what, 13-14 months younger than Wesley? And although I think Wesley is pretty poor (don't forget how crippled by Injuries that Norwich defence was), he looks like an unstoppable force in comparison to Davis.

Neither should be our first choice striker next season, but Wesley is at least worth keeping at the club for another season, IMO.

28 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

he looks like an unstoppable force in comparison to Davis.

He really really doesn't. And it's a slightly funny comparison cause Davies can hold off two defenders and Wesley gets knocked off the ball by Bannan. And that's the Scottish Bannan. Not the overweight Breitbart rocket polisher. 

2 hours ago, Davkaus said:

This is just not true, there must be something incredibly selective being used to spin these stats. I had to have a quick look because it was impossible to believe.

He had 5 goals and 1 assist in 21 games. Aguero got 23/8 in his first PL season. Being generous and doubling Wesley's totals takes him nowhere close. In addition, 10 of those Aguero goals came in the first 12 games, so just considering the first 21 games doesn't work either.

Now obviously nobody expects him to do anywhere near as well as Aguero, but I just picked an extreme example off the top of my head.

Sorry I wasn’t clear. 
I meant of the strikers playing their first season in the premier league in 19/20. As in last season was their first season. 

Ie any new signings or promoted strikers. He was doing the best. The only new signings who were doing better were Jimenez and Ings but they already been on loan for a season.  

Obviously it’s not a huge sample size but it still indicates he was doing better than a lot of people give him credit for

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Sorry I wasn’t clear. 
I meant of the strikers playing their first season in the premier league in 19/20. As in last season was their first season. 

In retrospect, that probably ought to have been obvious, but I read it and just thought "... Surely not?!" :D

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Keyblade said:

"40% of his goals came in 1 match" is a sentence you can't and probably will never be able to say for Keinan Davis.

Didn't he score two in one game? If so it probably is true.

7 minutes ago, sparrow1988 said:

Didn't he score two in one game? If so it probably is true.

He only scored 1 all season, in the cup.

He's never scored 2 in one game before, but if he did, it would actually be 50% of his total Aston Villa goal tally 😭

24 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

He only scored 1 all season, in the cup.

He's never scored 2 in one game before, but if he did, it would actually be 50% of his total Aston Villa goal tally 😭

Fair enough so. I thought he scored 2 against someone in the Championship (Norwich I think) in one game but I was working from memory of a game from 3 years ago.

Just now, sparrow1988 said:

Fair enough so. I thought he scored 2 against someone in the Championship (Norwich I think) in one game but I was working from memory of a game from 3 years ago.

Incredibly he didn't score in that match. He had about half a dozen chances. He was magnificent otherwise. It was the quintessential Keinan Davis performance. Everything good and bad about him all in 1 game.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Davkaus said:

I think it's a worthwhile comparison, because for all the talk of potential in Davis, he's what, 13-14 months younger than Wesley? And although I think Wesley is pretty poor (don't forget how crippled by Injuries that Norwich defence was), he looks like an unstoppable force in comparison to Davis.

Neither should be our first choice striker next season, but Wesley is at least worth keeping at the club for another season, IMO.

Be a tough ask to keep Wesley :) 

18 hours ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

I just think if Davies had the xhance to play 1800 minutes under a Villa side full of confidence, he'd easily score 5 goals. 

Unfortunately he got injury after injury and came back in with the knowing everyone in the stands thought he was allergic to goals. Then he had to carry that while coming on as a sub for a team void of confidence, while being asked to be a hold-up striker. 

Give him 1800 minutes for a Villa side creating and actually looking confident, he'd score 5 goals no problem. 

Davis has 4 career league goals, on what basis would he easily get 5 in the Premier League if he played the same minutes as Wesley

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Tommo_b said:

I wonder how much better a players stats would be if they did play in a Man City or Liverpool team.

Would Wesleys stats be better, would be look more dangerous etc. 

Apart from maybe Grealish no one of them would get into the side or even 25 man squad. 

Their stats would be 0 games, 0 goals, 0 assists and so on.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, sne said:

Apart from maybe Grealish no one of them would get into the side or even 25 man squad. 

Their stats would be 0 games, 0 goals, 0 assists and so on.

Wait until 2021 and Borja Baston is European Golden Boot winner after an incredible season as Aguero replacement 😉

• Haha 1

51 minutes ago, Tommo_b said:

I wonder how much better a players stats would be if they did play in a Man City or Liverpool team.

Would Wesleys stats be better, would be look more dangerous etc. 

There's something in that. Consider these players: Walcott, Wilshere, Butt, Fletcher, Bendtner, Cleverly.

I don't rate any of them - but when they were playing either for ManUre or Arsenal they looked more than decent.

• Like 1

Â