Wesley Moraes

Tomaszk

Funny watching that clip above cause it clearly shows the stuff being talked about. How he's almost never in the box when needed or how awful finishing he has when heading. 

I hope he comes good, but I wouldn't get my hopes up. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mjvilla said:

I don't see how anyone can't see how this injury impacted our season. He was frustrating at times, no doubt. But he offered far more than Davis and samatta.

A few of those clips were him linking play to be the man who got the assist to the assister to the goal. Samatta and Davis never did this. 

Just another reason why Smith done an excellent job in keeping us up when you think of the injuries we had.

I don't think there is anyone who disagrees with this.

3 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

I don't think there is anyone who disagrees with this.

I think it was more that we tried to settle and gel a brand new squad. By December it looked like we've gotten used to each others attacking movements. Wesley gets crocked and we have to start again. 

I can't see much difference in quality between Wesley and Davies either, based on this season. Which I guess is a slight knock at whoever thought he was worth £ 22 million. 

10 minutes ago, cheltenham_villa said:

Wesley was on to score double figures of prem goals, that is one very big difference between the 2.

This is true. He scored a whopping 5 goals, of those 2 against Norwich where he also missed a penalty if I remember correctly?

He played 1800 minutes in an in form Villa side brimming with confidence after promotion. Davies got 540 min in a confidence crushed side, and despite that his general play was much better than Wesley. 

• Like 1

Wesley is a much better finisher than Davis. He always goes for the placed finish, whereas Davis just smashes it down the keeper’s throat.

I do see him as more of a support striker though. Not sure he’ll ever suit Smith’s system, unless he really develops that ability to hit the box like a number 9.

16 minutes ago, cheltenham_villa said:

Wesley was on to score double figures of prem goals, that is one very big difference between the 2.

Precisely and people are desperate for us to sign Calum Wilson who has a less than 10 goals this season 

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

This is true. He scored a whopping 5 goals, of those 2 against Norwich where he also missed a penalty if I remember correctly?

He played 1800 minutes in an in form Villa side brimming with confidence after promotion. Davies got 540 min in a confidence crushed side, and despite that his general play was much better than Wesley. 

Does that missed penalty somehow detract from his total in your mind? It’s normally strikers SCORING penalties that you have to discount when thinking about strike rates.

25 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

When Wesley got injured he was the highest scoring/assisting striker in their first prem season. 

I don’t particularly rate him but he is absolutely miles better than Davis. 

• Like 1

No. Just a general comment that I remember pretty well 40% of his goals that came in one match, despite playing 1800 minutes in a side that created a ton of chances with a lot of confidence. 

Make no mistake, if we had a half decent striker we would have had enough points after the first 6 months of this season to never enter a relegation battle. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

No. Just a general comment that I remember pretty well 40% of his goals that came in one match, despite playing 1800 minutes in a side that created a ton of chances with a lot of confidence. 

Make no mistake, if we had a half decent striker we would have had enough points after the first 6 months of this season to never enter a relegation battle. 

I don’t disagree with much of this but I think it’s just our definitions of good vs decent vs terrible. Wesley is definitely good enough to hit double figures in a PL season - which less players do than we think. Whether he’s good enough to get 15 or even the magical 20 is the unsettled question (ok, settled in your mind I suspect!). But he can certainly knock in 10. Do I still want to sign another striker? Absolutely!

1 hour ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

But not his goals.

I like Davies, things happen around him but he does not score goals. Wesley's could be so frustrating but looked likely to hit double figures. That would have put him in very good company this season.

During the run in, I would have felt very confident in wesley getting a couple. Its essential that we have forwards who score.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Villa side brimming with confidence is a bit far fenched.

Edited by Killeen30
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, cheltenham_villa said:

But not his goals.

I like Davies, things happen around him but he does not score goals. Wesley's could be so frustrating but looked likely to hit double figures. That would have put him in very good company this season.

During the run in, I would have felt very confident in wesley getting a couple. Its essential that we have forwards who score.

I just think if Davies had the xhance to play 1800 minutes under a Villa side full of confidence, he'd easily score 5 goals. 

Unfortunately he got injury after injury and came back in with the knowing everyone in the stands thought he was allergic to goals. Then he had to carry that while coming on as a sub for a team void of confidence, while being asked to be a hold-up striker. 

Give him 1800 minutes for a Villa side creating and actually looking confident, he'd score 5 goals no problem. 

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

When Wesley got injured he was the highest scoring/assisting striker in their first prem season. 

This is just not true, there must be something incredibly selective being used to spin these stats. I had to have a quick look because it was impossible to believe.

He had 5 goals and 1 assist in 21 games. Aguero got 23/8 in his first PL season. Being generous and doubling Wesley's totals takes him nowhere close. In addition, 10 of those Aguero goals came in the first 12 games, so just considering the first 21 games doesn't work either.

Now obviously nobody expects him to do anywhere near as well as Aguero, but I just picked an extreme example off the top of my head.

Edited by Davkaus

2 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

this is just not true, there must be something incredibly selective being used to spin these stats. I had to have a quick look because it was impossible to believe.

He had 5 goals and 1 assist in 21 games. Aguero got 23/8 in his first PL season. Being generous and doubling Wesley's totals takes him nowhere close.

Now obviously nobody expects him to do anywhere near as well as Aguero, but I just picked an example to show how wrong that stat is. 

Suspect he ment for last season. Which is fully possible knowing how prolific Joelinton and Haller was. 

• Like 2

Â