Wesley Moraes

Tomaszk

13 hours ago, TrentVilla said:

I agree on your summary, he is extremely raw but has a lot of potential it remains to be seen if that can be tapped into.

Its just the way that some write players of prematurely seemingly never learning from the previous examples, I always remember Milner was labelled crap by some.

And thank you, appreciate that. Nice to be back, mostly.

Villa4life has occasionally put up info on the different areas that scouts look and judge players on and I reckon Wes has the potential to grow in pretty much every one of them.  At the moment though I'd say he is a 5 or 6/10 in most of them.  He has looked at his best to me when he has had players that make runs ahead of him and when he hasn't gone to ground too easily looking for a free kick.  He should really be a handful for defenders but got bullied quite a lot which perhaps isnt surprising given how new he is.  I worry that his injury might mean he won't ever be able to add that bit of explosiveness over the first couple of yards that would make him a bigger threat but we will have to wait and see.

Ideally for me we could somehow get Dean, Jack and Tammy in the same room and find a way of convincing them to build something special at the Villa and have Wes as a squad option.

1 minute ago, lexicon said:

I honestly don't get the obsession with strikers. Modern teams share the goals around 3 or 4 players, and wingers/wide forwards are very important. I'd much rather have 2 x 30m wingers than 1 x 60m striker. Our biggest problem has been final ball, creativity etc. We need players who can tee up others. 

Except a freak like Lewandowski, most of the goals are scored by wide players in recent times than central striker. Liverpool is perfect example, Firmino I don't think hit double figures this season

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Zatman said:

King isnt really a central striker either, plays everywhere along the forward line. Has more Premier League goals than Wilson and I would certainly take him

He definitely isn't a left midfielder, which is basically where he's been played to accommodate Solanke.

24 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

I saw the dumbest shit on Villa FB page today. Someone had list of players to buy and said we should pay 20 million for Josh "hardly scores all season except the odd penalty" King 

I despair of average Joe fan's transfer ideas

Josh King doesn't take penalties though. Callum Wilson does.

Edit: My mistake they share the responsibility

Edited by MotoMkali

8 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

Villa4life has occasionally put up info on the different areas that scouts look and judge players on and I reckon Wes has the potential to grow in pretty much every one of them.  At the moment though I'd say he is a 5 or 6/10 in most of them.  He has looked at his best to me when he has had players that make runs ahead of him and when he hasn't gone to ground too easily looking for a free kick.  He should really be a handful for defenders but got bullied quite a lot which perhaps isnt surprising given how new he is.  I worry that his injury might mean he won't ever be able to add that bit of explosiveness over the first couple of yards that would make him a bigger threat but we will have to wait and see.

Ideally for me we could somehow get Dean, Jack and Tammy in the same room and find a way of convincing them to build something special at the Villa and have Wes as a squad option.

With wesley he is still learbing how to use his frame in the premier league. Right now he either goes down to easily or puts up to much of a fight and giving away a free kick. He hasn't learnt how to use his body in the way that is necessary to dominate premier league players yet.

I think he will because when he does manage to use his frame right it doesn't seem like anyone in the league could handle him. He dominated mina, and made tarkowski and mee look like children until one **** crippled him. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hippo said:

What actually was his injury ? - If it's a broken bone he should easily be ready by September...

Cruciate ligament damage, not sure which one. Must have been bad though length if time he's been out.

1 hour ago, hippo said:

What actually was his injury ? - If it's a broken bone he should easily be ready by September...

Was running again in May and should  be available for start of season 

Wasn't it his posterior cruciate ligament that was injured? It's a rare injury as more common in football is the ACL. 

Seems like the road to recovery will be long but it's definitely possible to return to his physical level before his injury. Obviously everybody is different so he may recover quicker but he might take longer.

"Prognosis

Most athletes with PCL injuries who are treated without surgery return to their sport at their pre-injury activity level after rehabilitation.

Among people who have surgical reconstruction of the PCL, most are able to return to their pre-injury level of physical activity within three years after surgery.

As a long-term complication, many (but not all) patients with PCL injuries develop osteoarthritis in the injured knee joint. On average, the arthritis symptoms begin 15 to 25 years after the initial PCL injury."

https://www.health.harvard.edu/pain/posterior-cruciate-ligament-pcl-injuries-a-to-z

Edited by Sulberto21

2 hours ago, Sulberto21 said:

Wasn't it his posterior cruciate ligament that was injured? It's a rare injury as more common in football is the ACL. 

Seems like the road to recovery will be long but it's definitely possible to return to his physical level before his injury. Obviously everybody is different so he may recover quicker but he might take longer.

"Prognosis

Most athletes with PCL injuries who are treated without surgery return to their sport at their pre-injury activity level after rehabilitation.

Among people who have surgical reconstruction of the PCL, most are able to return to their pre-injury level of physical activity within three years after surgery.

As a long-term complication, many (but not all) patients with PCL injuries develop osteoarthritis in the injured knee joint. On average, the arthritis symptoms begin 15 to 25 years after the initial PCL injury."

https://www.health.harvard.edu/pain/posterior-cruciate-ligament-pcl-injuries-a-to-z

That’s because it was a rare tackle and by rare I mean (f***ing horrendous). 

On the prognosis side of things. 3 years??? I presume this is for run of the mill people, not people with the structures around them like Wes would have. 

10 hours ago, sharkyvilla said:

There are so many players who have taken time to adapt, Juan Pablo Angel looked out of his depth for a year, then when he adapted he became great, Savo Milosevic looked like a donkey who couldn't run or control the ball for six months but turned out good. Zlatan for example could neither strike nor head the ball until he got proper training (and probably loads of steroids) at Juventus in his mid twenties.

I agree with your assessment of Wesley, especially in the first games he went down far too easy, he was probably not used to the physicality in the PL, and big players like him is normally more brutally handled than others. I think in his last game when he was up agains two of the most physical cb in the league he showed that he could adapt, he bullied them and looked like a threat all game.

Yes some players never fully recover from injuries like that, he is young and seems very strong both physically and mentally so hopefully he will be fine. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Keener window-cleaner said:

There are so many players who have taken time to adapt, Juan Pablo Angel looked out of his depth for a year, then when he adapted he became great, Savo Milosevic looked like a donkey who couldn't run or control the ball for six months but turned out good. Zlatan for example could neither strike nor head the ball until he got proper training (and probably loads of steroids) at Juventus in his mid twenties.

I agree with your assessment of Wesley, especially in the first games he went down far too easy, he was probably not used to the physicality in the PL, and big players like him is normally more brutally handled than others. I think in his last game when he was up agains two of the most physical cb in the league he showed that he could adapt, he bullied them and looked like a threat all game.

Yes some players never fully recover from injuries like that, he is young and seems very strong both physically and mentally so hopefully he will be fine. 

Say what :D 

As frustratingly bad he has been, I hope he can recover from this injury. Typical villa style, he plays one of his best games for us and gets knee capped by a shocking attempt at a tackle.

It will be a good 4 months I guess before he will be a regular player/ sub as kicking a ball or that action is one of the worst actions a damaged knee can take ( from someone who has damaged both knees and awaiting ops on both knees as too young for knee replacements which I'm told in 10 years I will need).

Hopefully he comes back stronger and more determined than ever to succeed.

I only went back a couple of pages so sorry If this has already been answered. My understanding was after the injury he went home to Brazil. If the season is only six weeks away and I assume he would have to quarantine for two weeks he should be getting back nowish. Four weeks with our medical and fitness staff to assess and get him up to speed. Not saying that he doesn’t have expert medical/fitness/dietary folk to work with in Brazil but being closer to home so we can see exactly his progress.

49 minutes ago, Withnail said:

I only went back a couple of pages so sorry If this has already been answered. My understanding was after the injury he went home to Brazil. If the season is only six weeks away and I assume he would have to quarantine for two weeks he should be getting back nowish. Four weeks with our medical and fitness staff to assess and get him up to speed. Not saying that he doesn’t have expert medical/fitness/dietary folk to work with in Brazil but being closer to home so we can see exactly his progress.

Mate he was at the West Ham game.

Pictured celebrating with the boys and shaking hands with Deano etc.

He's back.

The status of his fitness I don't know though.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 2

Â