Wesley Moraes

Tomaszk

11 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Not sure you've got the memo but it's not about the goals apparently, not important for strikers anymore, apparently we're better off having a forward with no goal threat who can 'bring others into play'. Clearly all the top teams in the world are managed by idiots for signing and persisting with goalscorers up top.

Clearly all the top teams in the world don't buy strikers at Wesley's price.

Villa fans have a weird approach to strikers. Scott Hogan was passionately defended on a weekly basis, people wanted give Ross McCormack more chances. 

John Carew is loved by Villa fans but on his day he could be as lazy as you get on the pitch 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Villa fans have a weird approach to strikers. Scott Hogan was passionately defended on a weekly basis, people wanted give Ross McCormack more chances. 

John Carew is loved by Villa fans but on his day he could be as lazy as you get on the pitch 

yes but carew always seemed to pop up in the right place and stick the ball in the back of the net despite his laziness.

bruce was blamed for hogan's ineptitude, saying the style of football was the reason he wasn't scoring

and im sure anyone wanting ross to get more chances were in the minority

10 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Are people deliberately not understanding? It's strange.

See the game last night? Trezeguet struggled big time. Just before he came off he gave Lansbury a sitter which he missed. If that went in, which it should have, and Trez had an assist it wouldn't magically mean he played well for the last 70 mins.

This is Wes' problem for me. He's not doing anywhere near enough in general play. His best spell was easily the first 20 mins v Norwich. He won everything and put us in a great position to attack. If he did score that game and we won 1-0 or 2-0 that would still be his best performance for me. Better than Everton and Arsenal where he scored.

Overall in-play contribution will lead to the team scoring more, especially the way we play now. I don't care who scores, I want Villa winning. Funnily enough, Wes playing better will also mean Wes scores more.

The games he has scored in he has contributed, more than just goals. The point me and other make about Wesley is that what he has done so far is a decent effort and we expect him to get better so to scrap him now makes no sense.

1 hour ago, Philosopher said:

I don't think so. Neither does Smith (who has worked with Maupay) because we paid more for Wesley than Brighton did for Maupay. Personally I feel Maupay may well have had a bigger instant impact, but for me it's clear Wesley has a higher talent ceiling.

Really? I think DS will be thinking he's made a mistake by not signing him (or someone else) in the summer. In the PL you need someone who can make an instant impact particularly when he's your only striker, not saying Wes won't get there but if he needs time to be coached and to develop we need a decent alternative we have no depth there whatsoever which is worrying.

I’m a simple soul.

I want us to play a guy up top who will score around 10 League goals over the Season.

(with rare exceptions more than that is reserved for guys playing in the Top 6).

Ive no reason to think Wesley won’t do that, or that Keinan will. 

Best trait about Wesley is he's very determined to improve. It seems to be evident in other aspects of life too. Look at how much his English has improved since he joined. It's remarkable. Which is why I'm willing to be patient with him and I think why Dean is too. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Best trait about Wesley is he's very determined to improve. It seems to be evident in other aspects of life too. Look at how much his English has improved since he joined. It's remarkable. Which is why I'm willing to be patient with him and I think why Dean is too. 

I think his English was there or thereabouts already but he didn’t have the confidence to use it in interviews. I remember seeing a training vid where he was chatting quite happily to Jack. 

And therein lies the key to Wesley: his confidence can get v low. Dean knows this and won’t drop him, at least not this side of Christmas. 

3 hours ago, Keyblade said:

Best trait about Wesley is he's very determined to improve.

Wish he would be determined to stop with the diving. It's embarrassing.

That would be a start to make me like him more as a player.

Edited by villalad21
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

@Villan4Life what do you make of Wesley mate?  At times he looks so out of his depth.

I rate him mate he’s one  that does need time..

mentioned here few weeks ago on this thread It’s obvious he needs time 

But potential is there plus he has good characteristics too in the four corner model he in my view hits all 4 targets which not many Players do.

He can only improve just my view of course 

Edited by Villan4Life
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Villan4Life said:

I Rate him mate. One that does need time.. mentioned here few weeks ago on this thread few weeks back it’s obvious he needs time. But potential is there plus he has goof characteristics too in the four corner model he in my view hits all 4 targets.. He can only improve just my view of course 

Cheers mate. You are our resident scout aren’t you? Hope I’ve got the right person :)

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, terrytini said:

I’m a simple soul.

I want us to play a guy up top who will score around 10 League goals over the Season.

(with rare exceptions more than that is reserved for guys playing in the Top 6).

Ive no reason to think Wesley won’t do that, or that Keinan will. 

If your guy up top scores a measly ten goals in a season. Your in trouble.

Â