Wesley Moraes

Tomaszk

49 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Are you actually serious? You wouldn't take Maupay ahead of Wesley.

A player that has worked wonders for Smith before and is clearly the superior player in almost every aspect of his game. Better passer, better dribbler, better shooter, more technical, quicker, more mobile, better to press.

Maupay would make us more deadlier on the counter. And because of his great link up play would be far better for us in open play as well.

Who has more goals?

The thing is why do we fear giving chances? We gave Taylor a couple of starts in the beginning of the season. We tried Jack on the wing lately and found it was his best place.

It's not that we will lose a lot of things starting Davis, its just trying something else.

Wes had two fantastic games (Everton and Norwich), had some good moments here and there, but in reality putting these two games aside, I'd definitely try something else.

Davis had two chances (one against Brighton the other against City) I don't think Wes would have taken them better.

Some people say 40 games, but in reality how many starts? and how many in cup games (without the best players with him)?

I remember him coming back after his long absence during 2017-2018, he came in the last couple of minutes against Preston. That attack showed me how dangerous he could be on the counter.

The thing is what will we lose starting him? we're depending more on other players to score anyway.

I'm not sure starting him against Plop would be wise, actually it would be harsh, but I would definitely do against the dingles again or the toon.

We'll be signing a new striker in January regardless of how good or not Wesley and Davis have been. But it's not going to be easy to get one who's guaranteed to be better than what we already have, it's going to take a lot of money, if we spend say around £20m all that's going to get is another player on a similar level to Wesley, which wouldn't be a bad thing as at least it would give us an extra option, but people expecting a significant upgrade might be disappointed.

On 28/10/2019 at 10:31, villalad21 said:

I heard people saying Wesley is not used to the role of a lone forward. Well we are in a relegation fight and we can't afford to wait for him to come good.

Davis knows the role better and will do a job until January.

Giving it the big 'un page after page about how Davis is clearly better than Wesley.

Then on the EFL Cup match thread against a dingle youth team...

1244156275_ScreenShot2019-10-31at00_15_47.thumb.png.e3fe5082724233420ca5c1414ff1e7e0.png

🙄

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

10 hours ago, Philosopher said:

Who has more goals?

You obviously know they have the same amount, however I do think in this Villa team Maupay would have scored more. Not knocking Wes just think Maupay is a better player imo.

Edited by zab6359
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, useless said:

We'll be signing a new striker in January regardless of how good or not Wesley and Davis have been. But it's not going to be easy to get one who's guaranteed to be better than what we already have, it's going to take a lot of money, if we spend say around £20m all that's going to get is another player on a similar level to Wesley, which wouldn't be a bad thing as at least it would give us an extra option, but people expecting a significant upgrade might be disappointed.

Don't think that sort of signing will happen in January but next summer once we have secured a place in the league.

This hounding players mentality we have have is so tiresome, all it creates is negativity. I really want us to avoid being like Arsenal fans and creating that type of toxicity that they have, it's not good for anything. Criticising players and attacking players are two very different things.

We are talking about a 22 year old striker, who has never played at this level before. He's got 4 goals in 10 and if he continues this goal scoring form will finish on 14-15, which is a great return. people that are expecting a 20 goals a season striker should look at the history of premier league and realise how few players actually get more than 20 each season. I see potential in him, but of course realise he needs to improve and has some very frustrating traits, like the way he falls over much to easily and gets outmuscled, but guess what, this kid has never played against this calibre of players before, this league is much more physically demanding than any other league he has experienced, it's gonna take time for hime to get used to it. He's young, moved to a new country, new culture and a new language, of course he has to be given some time to adapt and it is our duty as fans to support him and make the transition easier for him. Confidence is the main attribute of a succesful attacker (or footballer in general), he's not going to become a confident player with the support he is currently getting

I wonder what the fans opinion of Benteke was after 10 games? 

Also worth mentioning that the only players at clubs around us in the league that have outscored Wesley so far pukki (who started really well and has faded away) with 6 and an established Callum Wilson with 5. And Wesley has been incredibly effective, as chances presented to him have been very limited.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Problem is that Wes is no better than the 45 we saw of Davis today. So I guess it just means a new striker will lead the line 

How isn't he? He's played much better than that when he's started - not every start, sure, but that was KD's big chance to shine and I think he blew it. 

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, lexicon said:

How isn't he? He's played much better than that when he's started - not every start, sure, but that was KD's big chance to shine and I think he blew it. 

People just see things differently. For the majority of our matches he's been so poor it feels like we're playing with 10 men. Nevermind the idea we have a 22 million striker up front. 

Hopefully he steps up from now on 

20 minutes ago, lexicon said:

His Everton performance was light years ahead of anything Davis has ever done in football for starters. What a nonsense comment.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, zab6359 said:

You obviously know they have the same amount, however I do think in this Villa team Maupay would have scored more. Not knocking Wes just think Maupay is a better player imo.

Yes I'd have to agree with you zab.  Maupay has had some seasons experience over Wesley so it's absolutely expected of Maupay to be in the right place at the right time, catching the runs and using his strength better because the English leagues are alot more intense. That's what we were asking for when we signed Wesley is that we were willing to sign a player who had no experience of English football and who could adapt like Neil has. Maupay against us looked dangerous, if we had of had him he would of been 20 mill well spent and honestly I do not understand why we didn't make the move considering we went out and spent 22 mill on an unknown anyway.  Maupay in our squad would suit our style down to the ground, however nothing we can do now about that, we now somehow have to get Wesley playing similar to Maupay but they are of different physique so that's highly unlikely. We need some of Maupay's physique because we need to run the opposition rugged and that's not happening with Wesley as much as we had hoped. Wesley would be an excellent no2 till he learns more, unless of course he forces his way to no1 and deserves the start.

People saying Davis is better than Wes, some differences though is Wes has scored in the premier and Davis isn't. Davis is putting his performances against the likes of a wolves team who should of been ashamed to call themselves a team last night. Seriously that wolves team is the most pathetic playing team I've seen in a long time and our previous opposition in the cup had been more worthy.

Davis for me should be utilised as something else like a CAM or CM because he chases the ball down so so much which is fantastic, he also makes things happen as well. Davis for me is missing that killer instinct on goal, hope he finds it somewhere but fear it may never be with us and maybe at a club in the championship.

We do need a striker come January, not for replacing Wes but to reinforce, to get a better striker we simply now need to start paying more. We won't find anyone better than Wesley if we dont start paying premium prices now. Its no different than than lets say fifa or another football game. You see a cheap 81 rated player who has 79 and upto 81 stats, then a week later you see an 83 or 84 rated player with 82 upto 84 stats, you dont go for him and wait it out. It's not a miraculous upgrade those extra few stats here and there , instead you now hold out for that 87 rated and above player and pay the extra because you know your getting a much needed boost in those areas and it's a game changer, thats the position we are now needing to enter. We are now very much at the next phase of signings which is alot more costly but should yield better results.

9 hours ago, zab6359 said:

I don't think so. Neither does Smith (who has worked with Maupay) because we paid more for Wesley than Brighton did for Maupay. Personally I feel Maupay may well have had a bigger instant impact, but for me it's clear Wesley has a higher talent ceiling.

16 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Tammy had 4 goals in his 1st 10 games for Villa. Nobody was criticizing him this badly

Not sure you've got the memo but it's not about the goals apparently, not important for strikers anymore, apparently we're better off having a forward with no goal threat who can 'bring others into play'. Clearly all the top teams in the world are managed by idiots for signing and persisting with goalscorers up top.

Edited by Dr_Pangloss
  • Like 1

Â