Wesley Moraes

Tomaszk

1 hour ago, Keyblade said:

Has Keinan breathing down his neck and Jimmy D coming back. He'll have to up his performances if he wants to stay in the team in sure he knows. Great thing about competition for places.

I think we need to give Keinan a start soon. Especially against the likes of Burnley, there CB's will be tough to handle by Wesley. 

I think as much as Wesley has to get used to the way football is played here, we also have to remember that the rest of our players also have to figure out the way Wesley has to play. 

I see alot of people sticking it all on Wesley, I don't see it as simple as that. Wesley is a lone striker depending on the right support coming to him. If our players can not provide that support then of course the easy thing to do is blame Wesley, and really it's not fair. A squad that is finding out how to bring our lone striker into play will take some time, it was never going to be full on go and with everything we have to take into account I'm more than prepared to give Wesley More than enough time to adjust.

Both Wesley's goals for us have not been like his goals he scored for his last club, Wesley's goals look to me as if he is adapting in a different way. I believe Wesley can do the job, but it also wouldnt hurt to bring someone else in who Wesley can learn from abit of experience and competition to show him the way forward, he needs a positive striker to feed off.

• Like 1

1 in 3 ratio so far which really isn't bad, if he ends the season with this sort of ratio then it will be rightly deemed a success. Ultimately he hasn't been getting enough service so I'd say he's doing quite well. Certainly had a few iffy performances, especially against West Ham, Palace and good chunks of the Arsenal game but I'd say he has taken both of his goals very well and has evidenced some very effective hold up and link play on a number of occasions. 

Edited by Dr_Pangloss
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Keyblade said:

Has Keinan breathing down his neck and Jimmy D coming back. He'll have to up his performances if he wants to stay in the team in sure he knows. Great thing about competition for places.

I don't really see this. Davis has looked good in the cup games and had a decent cameo in the Palace game but not really showing enough to dislodge Wesley yet. Kodjia is very unlikely to have much of an impact at this level. Having scored at a 1 in 3 ratio thus far it's hard to justify taking Wesley out of the starting 11.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, screwdriver said:

Wesley is on target for 12 goals this season if he keeps up his 1 in 3 ratio.

I guess this is decent for a 22 year old striker in his first season in the prem.

However for a 22m brazillian  who's played in the champions league?  We need more.

Considering he is young and it is his first season in the Premier League, 12 goals would be a good return in my opinion 

Couldn't give a toss if he only bags 5 if he's playing brilliantly and winning us matches with hold-up and setups.

Need more at the moment, just not doing enough. Defenders and holding mids are getting an easy ride swatting him aside. Thankless task on his own up front I know, he may not see ball for 5-10 mins at a time. When he does it's half a sniff and I'm expecting him to win a foul, a throw, something, anything! This is it though Wes, this is the big leagues. It's not Belgium with some Champions League token losses thrown in. If you make a name for yourself here, the Brazil team will start appearing on the horizon. How much do you want to succeed?

Don't think Keinan quite did enough on Wednesday, but he's getting closer. Another flat Wes performance and he could be dropped for Norwich I think.

Give us a hat-trick big man.

• Like 1

People talk a lot about ‘confidence players’. Wes is the definition of it.

But instead of needing one goal to get him going, he needs constant encouragement. The mental side of his game is so terrifically weak: one misplaced pass, a foul that doesn’t go his way, a player who doesn’t put the ball where he wants it, and it’s game over. 

I wondered if his body language was just his natural manner, but you can see by his expressions how incredibly frustrated he gets after something happens that most players would just dismiss. He must be exhausting to be around - constantly needing to be kept up in his mood. 

I hope he will come good if we (and his teammates) keep showing him the love. He absolutely needs to be loved. And those few times he has been on it, he has looked staggeringly scary. I just want to see more of it and for him to take a bit more initiative. 

This is going to be one for the club’s cultural liaison: if Wes can feel at home, he might break out his shell a bit.

1 hour ago, KevinRichardsonsMoustache said:

But instead of needing one goal to get him going, he needs constant encouragement. The mental side of his game is so terrifically weak: one misplaced pass, a foul that doesn’t go his way, a player who doesn’t put the ball where he wants it, and it’s game over. 

I wondered if his body language was just his natural manner, but you can see by his expressions how incredibly frustrated he gets after something happens that most players would just dismiss. He must be exhausting to be around - constantly needing to be kept up in his mood. 

I hope he will come good if we (and his teammates) keep showing him the love. He absolutely needs to be loved. And those few times he has been on it, he has looked staggeringly scary. I just want to see more of it and for him to take a bit more initiative. 

This is going to be one for the club’s cultural liaison: if Wes can feel at home, he might break out his shell a bit.

He probably misses his family as well. It must be really hard not being able to see your kids regularly and it could be affecting his confidence as well. 

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, MotoMkali said:

He probably misses his family as well. It must be really hard not being able to see your kids regularly and it could be affecting his confidence as well. 

Aren't his family and kids in Brazil?

Same difference. (Belgium/ UK) distance wise I mean.

2 hours ago, KevinRichardsonsMoustache said:

We could do with having a chant for him, may raise his confidence 

2 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Aren't his family and kids in Brazil?

Same difference. (Belgium/ UK) distance wise I mean.

Yeah. So he could be struggling. Spending long periods of time away from your family must suck. On top of that he has got to settle in a new location and play in a system with a different style 

2 hours ago, MotoMkali said:

Yeah. So he could be struggling. Spending long periods of time away from your family must suck. On top of that he has got to settle in a new location and play in a system with a different style 

Remember how the rest of the team raved about him when he first came over, and what a handful he seemed in those pre-season games. I reckon he's struggling to settle in and that's impacting game/confidence. He's 22 in a new country, with new team mates, only one of whom speaks his mother tongue. Doesn't matter how much money you are on, if you are feeling homesick, so yep he's been poor but hopefully he will start to feel more settled and pick up.

Would be interesting to read the scouting report Villa did on him to decide to pony up £24m or whatever it was.

He's not terrible, but he also isn't really good at anything from what I've seen so far.

He doesn't make intelligent runs or make clever decisions on the ball, he seem very weak for a big guy and has little to no hold up play.

What exactly did they see in him?

Not ruling him out as attackers rely a lot on confidence, but from what he's shown so far I don't see anything meriting the outlay sadly.

He is really poor. He can’t seem to even hold the ball up anymore which was his only redeeming trait.

He’s costing us points and Smith’s refusal to give Davis minutes is infuriating. 

Davis is a better player even if he can’t score goals. 

Worrying.

Â