Wesley Moraes

Tomaszk

21 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

but that dive at the end of the west ham game disgusted me. over the years i've been pleased that we dont tend to have players like that, even those we sign from overseas

Diving is part of the game because there's no punishment for it. We've had plenty of divers over the years. Ashley young and el ghazi spring to mind straight away.

Just now, villa89 said:

Diving is part of the game because there's no punishment for it. We've had plenty of divers over the years. Ashley young and el ghazi spring to mind straight away.

as blatantly as wesley? nah, not for me

• Like 1

6 hours ago, villa89 said:

Diving ( as the call it) has  been borne out of Referee's not giving the decisions, when a player is fouled.

For me there is 2 types :

1.Where a player is fouled and he claims it...... just in case the ref misses it or dismisses it.

2.Where a player just simulates a challenge to seek advantage i.e Free Kick or Penalty.

Personally, I think there is a marked difference between the two.

I think the problem is, they are both illegal and get marked down as the same. One is cheating, the other is claiming what is morally yours.

Good goal, Wesley. but same poor performance in general.

That what i been often say these, Wesley always drop deep when our attack go on.. and he sit forward and stay there and thing happen - quick attack jack create and goal. That why I keep say Get him stay further up and will goal cross to low feet! like last night i point these to his weak and strength.

He is still not good enough, if we got proper striker and arsenal will sit back with 10 men as worried threat from proper striker.  Wesley on Arsenal can command in push forward as Wesley deep so give more time to man mark and reaction to his threat.

Roll to next games - his big chance vs burnley but they have very good centre half but weak strength but good defender reader the games so Wesley will locked yet hopefully McGinn or Grealish give goal.

Edited by Danny_Villaman84

The thing about Wesley is bar the Everton game not once does he force himself in front of a defender to get a pass that maybe he wasn’t favourite to get, but he does get it...holds it/wins a foul/a corner or whatever. Hard to describe it, but I think we all know the kind of centre forward play I’m on about and it releases pressure on the team/stunts the flow of the opposition.

I get the point about the shit service but a centre forward for a relegation battling team has to do that imo. He just doesn’t seem versed in those dark arts at all. 

Edited by villanmac

For a man of such stature he is just so damn weak. I'm a midget in comparison but I reckon I could defend against him. He's so easily knocked off the ball and gets so angry all the time. 

You cannot be as big as him and stroll around like a big girl's blouse. Someone at the club needs to toughen him up because we need battlers not bottlers if we're going to stay up. 

32 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

This certainly is true. The one time he got any sort of quality in the box he scored. No shock to have a striker not scoring much when the quality into the box has been as poor as it has been.

I don't think that is true though. Balls come into the box and he isn't showing any desire to attack them. I think the cross for our first today was aimed for Wes but he didn't make much effort to connect with it, and then a few minutes later a good ball from Trez across the box and he is back on his heels.

A few Club Brugge fans actually came on here and described how he "COULD" be, and that he would need time and there are parts of his game which need working on etc. (Namely heading, going missing, and dropping too deep).

They did say he was a hard worker and would improve though.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

This certainly is true. The one time he got any sort of quality in the box he scored. No shock to have a striker not scoring much when the quality into the box has been as poor as it has been.

I agree his goal was a good run and tidy finish, but a striker like Wesley needs to offer more than just getting on the end of stuff in the six yard box. He had quite a few moments where he received the ball in a lot of space, and either lost it, passed it to the keeper, or played a safe ball. We do have a right to expect more.

I'm not writing him off, though. Just think he needs a lot of time to develop, and we've thrown him in at the deep end. I'm also slightly concerned that we have a classic situation where everyone's assumed he's an aerial threat because of his physique, and actually he's mediocre in the air. This does worry me, as I don't think aerial prowess is something that comes with age - you usually have it or you don't.

I still think we judge him after 10 games. If he gets another two goals 4 in 10 isn't bad for someone we never expected to be an out and out goal scorer. 

Needs better service, he needs to continue to adjust and learn where the ball is going to arrive. He needs a few more goals for his confidence to grow, he is over thinking and snatching at chances.

• Like 1

When we're 2-1 up away from home, especially against 10 men, our defenders should be clearing it long to Wesley and he should be holding it up and we build from there.

That's one of the reasons we have bought a 6ft 6" beast. Use him. We're not above banging it long and clearing our lines. 

Â