Wesley Moraes

Tomaszk

Hat trick against a putred Norwich side aside and a half against Burnley he rarely rarely looked like a PL footballer. If we are actually being honest and not overly kind due to the horrific injury he suffered.

You can point to the goal ratio and his age and a new league...he couldn't control a football, he couldn't use his strength properly, he had no balance, hardly any coordination, his shooting technique was bad, really bad. I remember many people just laughing in disbelief at some of his moments in that first season at VP.

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

Hat trick against a putred Norwich side aside and a half against Burnley he rarely rarely looked like a PL footballer. If we are actually being honest and not overly kind due to the horrific injury he suffered.

You can point to the goal ratio and his age and a new league...he couldn't control a football, he couldn't use his strength properly, he had no balance, hardly any coordination, his shooting technique was bad, really bad. I remember many people just laughing in disbelief at some of his moments in that first season at VP.

He ran strangely too.

Most awkward gait since Ross McCormack

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, rodders0223 said:

Capped by Brazil. 

43 minutes ago, TheMelvillan said:

He ran strangely too.

Most awkward gait since Ross McCormack

I see what you did there 😉

• Haha 3

Classic VT thing of a player being better and better the longer he’s been away from the team.

He was crap. He looked like a boss against the Liverpool cup team consisting of spotty pre teens. But otherwise, he was the epitome of barely bang average. 

No ill will towards him, he’s a nice chap who has had a huge setback and has fought back and I hope the best for him but literally the only meaningful memory of him at Villa will be Mee breaking him in half. 

Edited by Ingram85
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, the_eristic said:

Aside from the typical woes of adapting to a new country/league/slipshod side, the main issue was he's naturally a false 9, while everyone expected him to be a Benteke as we played him like a Heskey. Either he wasn't scouted properly by Suso and co, or Deano and ROK saw him and said, there's a big lad, just pump it up to him (or maybe both). With that classic Villa irony, he'd probably have been a much better fit for how we're trying to play now than Ollie, and Ollie much better for the promoted side.

Not that I want to join the procession of people laying into Wesley, because I thought he had some untapped potential pre-injury, but this is a maniacal take. Ollie Watkins is better at pretty much every single facet of the game.

Please explain to me how you think Wesley would be an improvement over Watkins in this system?

3 hours ago, the_eristic said:

Aside from the typical woes of adapting to a new country/league/slipshod side, the main issue was he's naturally a false 9, while everyone expected him to be a Benteke as we played him like a Heskey. Either he wasn't scouted properly by Suso and co, or Deano and ROK saw him and said, there's a big lad, just pump it up to him (or maybe both). With that classic Villa irony, he'd probably have been a much better fit for how we're trying to play now than Ollie, and Ollie much better for the promoted side.

Yep. You could tell about about 2 games he was not a natural striker. They must have got the scouting wrong on this.

A firm VT favourite of mine, the anneal Wesley pile on. 

giphy.gif?cid=5e214886t0a3crp1x7rt74it83

Yeah he was shit, yet he was better than Davies. Some folk who happily slam Wesley, want to keep Davies or have buy back clauses in his sale. 

They both are unfortunately… meh

oh well, never mind 

Edited by CarryOnVilla

I could never fathom how such a big guy was so useless in the air tbh. Always find it bizarre how we have/had so many big players none of whom seemed able to guide a basic header on target from a corner!? I include in that Mings, Davis, Wesley, Konsa, Hause (although he did finally get a rather good one at Old Trafford of course) etc 

Surely we should've had far more headed goals with players like that?

He was woeful most games. Its a bit of a myth that he was just about to become a good player when he got injured. 

One of the main issues we had as a newly promoted team.

Seemed a nice guy and his history meant he was easy to root for but he just wasn't very good. No idea what we saw in him to suggest he was ready for the Premier league. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, sne said:

Yup, 4 minutes in an exhibition game against Argentina

4 minutes more than Bosko Balaban. He wouldn't get near to The Brazilian team in any format 😂😂

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, sidcow said:

4 minutes more than Bosko Balaban. He wouldn't get near to The Brazilian team in any format 😂😂

Wouldnt be surprised if a player somewhere in Brazil called Balabanson

Â