Wesley Moraes

Tomaszk

3 hours ago, danceoftheshamen said:

I could never fathom how such a big guy was so useless in the air tbh. Always find it bizarre how we have/had so many big players none of whom seemed able to guide a basic header on target from a corner!? I include in that Mings, Davis, Wesley, Konsa, Hause (although he did finally get a rather good one at Old Trafford of course) etc 

Surely we should've had far more headed goals with players like that?

PL centre halves are physical specimens themselves and found Wes quite easy to bully, knowing he would go down easily and he hadn't quite got the culture of English football yet.  There had been slight improvement before his injury in the physical aspect so who knows with another 6 months he could have started to trouble defenders a bit more.  We'll never know now though.

36 minutes ago, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

We got properly shafted for that fee we paid 😫 

We had to spend big to get a work permit, I think the club knew that

He wasnt even the worst striker we signed that season from the Belgian League 😂

4 hours ago, danceoftheshamen said:

I could never fathom how such a big guy was so useless in the air tbh. Always find it bizarre how we have/had so many big players none of whom seemed able to guide a basic header on target from a corner!? I include in that Mings, Davis, Wesley, Konsa, Hause (although he did finally get a rather good one at Old Trafford of course) etc 

Surely we should've had far more headed goals with players like that?

I remember watching his debut in the annual Walsall friendly -  His first touch was from a typical long ball smash up the field and from his attempt to chest it down the ball bounced about 5 or 10 yards back in the direction it came from. I had my doubts from literally that first second. Feels like he was scouted off a database because he never looked natural and surely that would have been picked up on if we’d properly looked at him

• Like 1

Signings like this just baffle me. Signing a striker from one of the "lesser" leagues is always a risk even when they have scored a bucketload. Wesley hadnt done that so you assumed the scouts had seen something his record didnt display. No, he was useless. However it could forgiven as a "gamble" if it was a free or very cheap transfer. But no, he cost a fortune.

The injury was horrible luck of course but the writing was already on the wall. One of Villa's worst Premier League signings.

• Like 2

coming up to about the 3 year mark when we had signed this guy and the optimism was really high because we were back in the prem and the thought of having a brazillian player leading the lkine being the record signing was very exciting compared to the last few years of slog and toil. I think his moment has passed here unfortunately.

Realize I might be more harsh on him than most because I happened to miss his "brilliant performances". Missed the Everton game entirely and missed the first half of the Burnley game.

Did catch the Norwich game but despite having 2 goals and 1 assist, thought he kind of lucked into all of them. 1st goal was Norwich defender did a massive brainfart and left him with the ball at his feet in front of the 6 yard box. 2nd goal got put on a plate for him for a tap in, but I'll give him credit for getting into that position. The assist was a simple backwards pass to Douglas Luiz who would proceed to curl it from range.

Then there was that weak penalty. Speaking of which, that was another thing that bothered me about him. All his shots lacked power. It was such a weird thing, I've never seen a striker have such a weak shot on them. 

Maybe he could've been good had he been given more time, but I genuinely thought he was largely terrible in almost every facet of play you'd want from a striker based on what he was able to show for us.

Edited by Laughable Chimp
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Laughable Chimp said:

Realize I might be more harsh on him than most because I happened to miss his "brilliant performances". Missed the Everton game entirely and missed the first half of the Burnley game.

Did catch the Norwich game but despite having 2 goals and 1 assist, thought he kind of lucked into all of them. 1st goal was Norwich defender did a massive brainfart and left him with the ball at his feet in front of the 6 yard box. 2nd goal got put on a plate for him for a tap in, but I'll give him credit for getting into that position. The assist was a simple backwards pass to Douglas Luiz who would proceed to curl it from range.

Then there was that weak penalty. Speaking of which, that was another thing that bothered me about him. All his shots lacked power. It was such a weird thing, I've never seen a striker have such a weak shot on them. 

Maybe he could've been good had he been given more time, but I genuinely thought he was largely terrible in almost every facet of play you'd want from a striker based on what he was able to show for us.

All I really remember about him is that he fell over a lot. Only needed an opposition player to come within a few centimetres of him and over he went.

Obviously that is a totally warped and unfair memory but it is the one strong recollection I have of his few games for us. 

Edited by briny_ear
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, sharkyvilla said:

PL centre halves are physical specimens themselves and found Wes quite easy to bully, knowing he would go down easily and he hadn't quite got the culture of English football yet.  There had been slight improvement before his injury in the physical aspect so who knows with another 6 months he could have started to trouble defenders a bit more.  We'll never know now though.

Apart from Yerry Mina who for some reason big Wes seemed to not like from the get go. Wes schooled him and won the physical battle 

• Like 1

He wasn’t the best and obviously we paid way to much for him. But is it fair to see he contributed to at least 3 points in a season we stayed up by a point? (Or goals difference, I can’t remember). So as far as I’m concerned he played his part.  Good Luck to him. 

• Like 1

Seems Inter are ready to send him back when the transfer window reopens and want to sign 2 strikers 

Hard to find a full translation but seems he isnt ready for fulltime football yet and was put on a special training program but hasnt worked

14 hours ago, R.Bear said:

Signings like this just baffle me. Signing a striker from one of the "lesser" leagues is always a risk even when they have scored a bucketload. Wesley hadnt done that so you assumed the scouts had seen something his record didnt display. No, he was useless. However it could forgiven as a "gamble" if it was a free or very cheap transfer. But no, he cost a fortune.

The injury was horrible luck of course but the writing was already on the wall. One of Villa's worst Premier League signings.

I think thats massively harsh. Wesley scored goals in two games that won us the games (everton and norwich) and we stayed up by a point. That alone is worth a hell of a lot more than 22m. He has been a flop and not good.

Bit he contributed more than samatta did

Â