Kalvin Phillips

StefanAVFC

We’re paying a lot for a Championship player who has never played in the Premier League but it’s not like a Ross McCormack signing where there’s no resale value. He’s been excellent for Leeds whenever I’ve seen him and he’s their best player, whatever weakens them pleases me. The gossip might not even be true, let’s wait and see, he strikes me as quite a nasty player, we haven’t had that in our midfield for a long time but at the same time, I don’t want us to turn in to a team of thugs which the media and fans of other clubs might see us as if we sign Mings too but we’ll just have to wait and see. It looks like we’re trying to do our business quickly and efficiently which pleases me

Edited by sir_gary_cahill

2 hours ago, alreadyexists said:

I’d rather get Rongier than Phillips I think, either is taking a small risk. Just my opinion of course.

I want us to sign both .... we need x2 DM and if we can get Rongier cheaper by throwing in Kalinic. Phillips is class and exactly what we have been trying out for for years ... a mobile tenacious DM. £25mill is a lot and more than he’s worth but think he could grow into the role and be worth even. Especially  if he continues on his current trajectory .. IMO

Edited by thabucks
Spelling ... beers going down too nicely in the sun...
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, thabucks said:

I want us to sign both .... we need x2 DM and if we can get Rongier cheaper by throwing in Kalinic. Phillips is class and exactly what we have been trying out for for years ... a mobile tenacious DM. £25mill is a lot and more than he’s worth but think he could grow into the role and be worth even. Ore if he continues on his current projectory ... IMO

Good point.

Its a steep price but worth it if he signs for 5 years. Think along the lines of Declan Rice, he could be worth £40m+ after a good PL season.

The club is going to have to swallow hard and speculate a bit, we are only just getting used to the numbers up here. The mismanagement and under investment of the right kind has cost us dear, its payback time and luckily our owners have the money and in it for the long game.

Nice to be associated with very good, young British talent.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Pez1974 said:

£25m?

If we're prepared to pay that for a DCM - then Bristol, Bournemouth et al will rightly add £5m-£10m to their asking prices for their players.

And we will move on if we feel better value can be sort elsewhere IMO. 

1 hour ago, villabromsgrove said:

We need a holding midfielder who's got 90 minutes flat out stamina and physical athleticism every match and is also an accurate and accomplished passer of the ball. Add a bit of 'nasty' to his on the pitch persona, and you've got Kalvin Philips. The guy's got a good character and training ethic away from match days as well.

I'm guessing 18 million plus add ons and a sell on clause could get the deal done.

I think most people would be a lot more accepting of that.

Even if the remaining £7m ends up being paid over the next two seasons, due to making 50 appearances (for example), this still spreads the cost out and makes it look like a better deal this window.

17 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Stupid money. I don't think he is worth that personally 

Declan rice and longstaff are touted at £40mill ( yeah I know paper talk) so put his reported supposed price into context . 

7 minutes ago, MarkLillis said:

If we get Phillips we won’t regret it.

I'm thinking the same as well. We should go for our number one targets, even if the price is a bit higher than we would like. I would rather that we got four out of five top targets, than five other players who are second or third choice. 

6 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

As others have said, these days you don't just pay for the player, you pay for the age, resale value etc etc.

This is the market now. Wan-Bassaka went for 50m and he plays a less important position than DM. Longstaff/Rice quoted for 40m etc.

I would pay it and get him in. He's exactly what we need.

I also think you pay a pretty hefty fee for the right nationality. 

17 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

As others have said, these days you don't just pay for the player, you pay for the age, resale value etc etc.

This is the market now. Wan-Bassaka went for 50m and he plays a less important position than DM. Longstaff/Rice quoted for 40m etc.

I would pay it and get him in. He's exactly what we need.

I'm inclined to agree. 
If we sign him for 25m and we stay up and he has a fairly decent season, he's probably worth 30m. 

He's one of the players I was most impressed with last season and he fits the bill for me. 

• Like 1

I’ve said it before, but if there is resale value at or in excess of what we pay, then discussing transfer fees, however much they might be is entirely irrelevant. 

Simple really. Investment.

Chucking money at a talented 32 y/o on the downside of their career arc IS worth shouting down, but there is absolutely no way whatsoever that the current owners/DS will do this.

• Like 1

Â