Kalvin Phillips

StefanAVFC

23 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Have to ask yourself whether he is worth it anyway. It's not exactly Kante we're talking about. We're talking about Kalvin Phillips with 1 good season as a DMC. Maybe he will continue that progress and be a CL player in 3-4 years time or maybe he won't live up to the hype. Either way for this money there's alternatives to be found any where. 

We need someone like Gueye

1 hour ago, Kiwivillan said:

We need someone like Gueye

Phillips looks better than Gueye to me. I have been really impressed! He's so tenacious and quick. It's hard to tell when he's playing in the Championship, but I think some people are underestimating him. DMs like him are not abundant everywhere either.

5 hours ago, KentVillan said:

I don't see how we can sign Kalvin Phillips without offering him and Leeds more cash than is sensible. They're favourites for automatic promotion, so from a footballing perspective, he might as well stay for one more season.

This feels a lot like Spurs coming in for Grealish. Yes Leeds will have a price, but it'll be **** you money.

This is the exact conversation I had with two Leeds supporting mates yesterday, whom both thought the fee being banded about was on the high side for someone that has had one good season (albeit a very good one), they feel he his integral to their team and are worried that even with the money they would receive it wouldn't necessarily be used to strengthen their squad. It does feel a lot like the Grealish scenario where they want one more season to help them gain promotion. 

My first reaction when I saw the 25 million figure was it was way too high, it probably is, but I suppose that's football today. I'd probably be worth 100k* myself.

*10p

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, praisedmambo said:

Phillips looks better than Gueye to me. I have been really impressed! He's so tenacious and quick. It's hard to tell when he's playing in the Championship, but I think some people are underestimating him. DMs like him are not abundant everywhere either.

I think he'd be a good signing and we paid 9 million for Gueye in 2015 before prices went crazy

• Like 1

2 hours ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Have to ask yourself whether he is worth it anyway. It's not exactly Kante we're talking about. We're talking about Kalvin Phillips with 1 good season as a DMC. Maybe he will continue that progress and be a CL player in 3-4 years time or maybe he won't live up to the hype. Either way for this money there's alternatives to be found any where. 

You think Kante would be sold for anywhere near 30mil these days?

I don't disagree that it's excessive though and we should move on. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

There are. Fulham tried the alternative to young and British with a couple of highly rated midfields from the French league for 50 odd million for the pair.

No idea how well they did though.

8 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

There are. Fulham tried the alternative to young and British with a couple of highly rated midfields from the French league for 50 odd million for the pair.

No idea how well they did though.

They got relegated  :trollface:

• Haha 2

36 minutes ago, lexicon said:

You think Kante would be sold for anywhere near 30mil these days?

I don't disagree that it's excessive though and we should move on. 

No, but I never said that either. 

27 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

But wasn’t Sherwood managing them? ;)

Edit: on a serious note though those 2 particular places might have done alright.

Yeah, Seri (is that how you spell it?) the Ivory Coast international looked good in the few games I saw him... I imagine he’ll be on his way from Fulham, even if it’s just a loan.

7 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

Yeah, Seri (is that how you spell it?) the Ivory Coast international looked good in the few games I saw him... I imagine he’ll be on his way from Fulham, even if it’s just a loan.

I haven't seen Phillips play - but I have seen Seri and I don't rate him at all.

15 minutes ago, ozvillafan said:

I haven't seen Phillips play - but I have seen Seri and I don't rate him at all.

If we had signed Seri from Marseille for 27 million I guarantee a lot of fans would be over the moon. If we signed Philips for 20 million many of the same fans would be over the moon.

I don’t get that at all.

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

It is the Grealish scenario all over again. We cannot moan about it, and we all know he’s not worth 30m, although he may possibly be worth it one day. They want top money for their star player. If we could get him for 20m I’d be happy. What bugs me though, is that I’m not sure he wants to leave. If so, then forget him. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Because it was a comparison between quality and price. Jesus wept. Got the painters in do ya 

It didn't make any sense because the price you were quoting and the quality you were talking about were totally different. I just saw an inconsistency and pointed it out. 

1 hour ago, Rugeley Villa said:

It is the Grealish scenario all over again. We cannot moan about it, and we all know he’s not worth 30m, although he may possibly be worth it one day. They want top money for their star player. If we could get him for 20m I’d be happy. What bugs me though, is that I’m not sure he wants to leave. If so, then forget him. 

I heard they have made big losses and need to sell players. 

@Demitri_C was right about them having potential FFP problems and may not be in a position to turn down 20 million. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lexicon said:

It didn't make any sense because the price you were quoting and the quality you were talking about were totally different. I just saw an inconsistency and pointed it out. 

What price did I quote?  Please show me, cause I am confused now. 

I just don't understand the problem. I compared one of the best DM's for his generation to Phillips and made the point he was rather expensive to the quality we were getting. 

Â