Premier League 2019-2020 Thread

Enda

1 hour ago, Mjvilla said:

I'd agree, that catching Brighton seems a long shot. I just wouldn't rule them out at all.

That last minute goal against Arsenal was massive and pushed them away from everyone. They may mathematically be involved but that result and the timing of it really pulled them away from the pack.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, danceoftheshamen said:

I always thought West Ham would click at some point to be quite honest as they have too much quality in their squad compared to other teams down there. Disappointed in Chelsea however last night.

Weirdly it may be our only way out however as if West Ham go on a run and pull well clear prior to meeting us and beating Watford & Norwich in the process it could provide us with a glimmer of a route out....IF we can get some points that is, which is the bit that worries me as we appear devoid of the ability to win a game of football.

Obvious loss incoming on Sunday and against Man U, though if by some miracle we are only a point or two adrift by the time those two losses are out of the way then we have a slim chance.

Ironically our season rests in Norwich's hands now..... GREAT!

Our season rests in our own hands. Win 6 games we stay up. That’s the aim. I’m certainly not relying on Norwich to save us. Yes we have Liverpool and Man U but I think people forget we ran them both mighty close in our games against them this season. Let’s stop worrying about what Norwich, West Ham or Watford are doing and start concentrating on picking up points. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Mjvilla said:

Do Watford and Bournemouth?

I'm not worried about Bournemouth, they're as crap as we are. Watford, yes I'm 100% confident they will pick up more points than us.... Easily and unfortunately 😔

As a few have said its down to us, we need to forget who everybody else is playing as if we don't win games then we don't stay up regardless....

My guess is we will need 10 points to stay up which means unless we take anything over Liverpool and Man United we will need 10 from 12 which I think is just to big an ask

• Like 1

Just looking at a couple of others as examples of people who have escaped

Sunderland 2014 - Last 6 games they had Chelsea/Man United/Man City away and took 7 points

Wigan 2011-12 - Won at Arsenal/Liverpool and beat United in last 9 games

Its been done but you cant write off thees games as to hard, you have to get something 

I think the fixture schedule has been scandalous. We played 4 games in 10 days, Spurs are playing tonight and they havent played in 9 days

The other teams with 4 games Arsenal played in 14 days. We have really been **** over with the fixtures

Edited by Zatman
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, Zatman said:

I think the fixture schedule has been scandalous. We played 4 games in 10 days, Spurs are playing tonight and they havent played in 9 days

The other teams with 4 games Arsenal played in 14 days. We have really been **** over with the fixtures

Purslow did state we would be happy with a restart but not at neutral venues.

He would have known of plans going on at the PL aswell in how they would Finnish the season so we kind of knew what we were going into.

Yes it's shit but this wouldn't seem as much of a problem if we were sitting 4 points above the relegation zone right now..

It would be more of a case of 'We just need xx amount of points now to guarantee safety', with the games not being able to come quick enough, imo.

Edited by AvfcRigo82

46 minutes ago, Hobbit Feet said:

Our season rests in our own hands. Win 6 games we stay up. That’s the aim. I’m certainly not relying on Norwich to save us. Yes we have Liverpool and Man U but I think people forget we ran them both mighty close in our games against them this season. Let’s stop worrying about what Norwich, West Ham or Watford are doing and start concentrating on picking up points. 

Very true.

I will add that it doesn't really matter if we as fans are worrying, that's what fans do, worry about other teams results, whether we will stay in the division or not ETC.

I hope to God though that the players have a total different mindset (to the fans) and they go into each game thinking that they can (and will) get the 3 points, we definitely need that mentality to stand a chance.

To stay up we're going to have to win at least a game, probably two.

Until Watford win a game that isn't v Norwich I think they're still more than catchable. Say the beat Norwich, draw with Newcastle and lose the other four, that's 32 points and you'd assumed their GD would be within reach as a Man. City could hammer them like earlier in the season.

So we could need a win and two draws to finish 17th. I think with that scenario we'd wake up enough to take things to the final day where we've seen before anything can happen.

43 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Had we played Liverpool a few days after their title win we probably would have snuck a win. As it is they're going to be ready for us.

1 hour ago, Villan_of_oz said:

I'm not worried about Bournemouth, they're as crap as we are. Watford, yes I'm 100% confident they will pick up more points than us.... Easily and unfortunately 😔

Why? Apart from the initial Pearson new manager bump, they have been as poor as Norwich

1 hour ago, cb_82 said:

Just looking at a couple of others as examples of people who have escaped

Sunderland 2014 - Last 6 games they had Chelsea/Man United/Man City away and took 7 points

Wigan 2011-12 - Won at Arsenal/Liverpool and beat United in last 9 games

Its been done but you cant write off thees games as to hard, you have to get something 

The gap between us and the top teams now may be bigger than the equivalent back then I feel.

2 hours ago, villalad21 said:

They have got good players and many predicted them to challenge for top 6 this season.

Their squad is way too good to go down.

West Ham too good to go down? I’m sure I’ve heard that somewhere before...

ah yes, that’s it, it was the 2003 season when they had the likes of Joe Cole, Carrick, Kanoute, Defoe and Di Canio. Everyone said they were too good to go down, but they still did. 

Anything can happen in football, it’s famously unpredictable. 

I think the position re 17th-19th is incredibly tight and it is impossible to predict with any confidence who will stay up. I don’t think the current Villa squad and management team have the wherewithal to ensure our own survival but Bournemouth and Watford look equally lost at present, so one will stay up simply by dint of the fact that we can’t all three go down with Norwich. 

Watford's problems are self-inflicted to a degree. They probably have the better all-round squad but their discipline has gone and morale looks low. So it may be a question of whether they can snap out of it.

We have a 1in 3 chance of staying up in my view.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

We'll never know how things could have been, but I look around every year and you can see teams that make good and bad signings. We needed the vast majority to be good to have any chance of survival. They weren't.

My major problem is that I'm not sure half of them are good enough for promotion in the Championship. Wes, Trez, Engels, Guilbert, Marv, Konsa, Targett, Luiz, Hause. How many of them get into the Leeds/WBA/Brentford sides? Not many.

The uproar you mention would have settled after a game or two when he held the ball up like an actual footballer unlike Wes.

Yeah, never know if Kostic would have settled but he can run and cross and shoot and control and kick the ball so I think he'd have been a big jump up from Trez.

We're incredibly unlikely to get another chance to overhaul the squad to that extent for another 20 years. I can't think of another time in my lifetime it's happened.

Did we not do a similar overhaul in the last season we got relegated? I’m sure we brought in around 10-12 players then too.

It just shows how a massive overhaul (which is necessary, if bad ownership and decisions have been rife in previous seasons) gives you a huge mountain to climb before a ball is even kicked.

Funnily enough, in that season, people were quick to criticise all of the individual parts instead of looking at the situation as a whole too. Just look at some of the Paddy Reilly signings now. Suso will presumably be this season’s scapegoat.

2 hours ago, Hobbit Feet said:

Yeah but that when we actually showed signs of being a decent team and put in effort.

Now we don't seem bothered.

Plot twist, Drinkwater comes back in blistering form to inspire a 6 game unbeaten run! 👀

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Our next two are Liverpool and Man Utd... whilst West Ham play Burnley and Newcastle... and Watford play Chelsea and Norwich...

Unless we get some points from our next two then we're probably going to be at least four points adrift of safety going into the last four games, as you'd expect Watford to beat Norwich, and I doubt West Ham will lose to both Burnley and Newcastle.

2 hours ago, Hobbit Feet said:

Not saying your wrong mate but we have not picked up points against the top six all season , we average now less than a point a game , we are at the stage of needing miracles given the  games to come and situation. I admire your optimism but really do not see a lot changing!