Premier League 2019-2020 Thread

Enda

3 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

We only had 120-40 million to build a new squad. There have been some duds but I'm struggling to think of how we could have done significantly better. You pay 10m per player, unfortunately you get what you pay for.

Disagree with this.

It was difficult but we still cocked it up big time. Are the players we've bought even "good" Championship players? Time will tell.

Keep your eye on Brentford if they get up. Give them £130m they'll be finishing 12th no problem.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, useless said:

We can beat Liverpool and Man Utd, that's the way to go rather than worrying about other teams.

It’s more a case of how many we beat them by to be honest. We need the GD so we should try and put 4 or 5 past both. 

And if we don’t, well, we’re just a bunch of bloody bottlers. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, WakefieldVillan said:

Skybet relegation odds are currently;

Norwich 1/100

Bournemouth 1/6

Us 1/4

Watford 2/1

West Ham 11/2

Brighton 25/1

Doesn't look great, but it's not over yet, can all change with one result. 

We’ll be 1/100 before a ball is kicked against Palace. 

To beat Liverpool we need them to have an off day in front of goal and hope we can nick one or two, not worried about improving our goal difference in that one, a draw wouldn't be the end of the world. And pretty much the same story against Man Utd, hopefully they make it a bit easier for us and have one of their off days.

Edit: I know LIverpool and Man Utd are tough games, but we have to win by any means possible.

Edited by useless
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Mate u say that but lets not forget we were absolutely garbage. Giving them tok much soace not closing. We mad eit very easy fir them. West hams shape mad eit hard for chelsea tonight with very littel of the ball.

Yeah i agree they ahve betyer indivdual players. Yarm is just coming back from a serious injury 

We were poor absolutely. Chelsea were excellent throughout. Chelsea were foul tonight, stunk it out. We'd have done a lot more attacking tonight than West Ham. Probably wouldn't have scored three don't get me wrong, but we'd have had a go.

I don't think you can simplify a win by another team against a side who beat us to "Smith didn't attack them", that's foolhardy IMO.

The main reason we're heading down is because our players are shite. You could say the manager is as well if you want, but even a brilliant manager ain't getting much out of these mugs.

• Like 2

Just now, useless said:

To beat Liverpool we need them to have an off day in front of goal and hope we can nick one or two, not worried about improving our goal difference in that one, a draw wouldn't be the end of the world. And pretty much the same story against Man Utd, hopefully they make it a bit easier for us and have one of their off days.

If by an off day you mean the team bus doesn’t make it to the ground, yeh, we have a chance. 

• Haha 2

By Man Utd having an off day I mean like when we drew with them earlier this season, or when Trammere and Rochdale did, or when Burnley, Bournemouth, West Ham and Newcastle beat them.

• Like 1

We don't look like scoring in games. Did we create one decent chance against Wolves. it was such an easy game for them. West Ham fought like hell tonight and created chances. Had a perfectly good goal wiped out by VAR. I didn't see that against Chelsea for us. I'd be amazed if we pick any points against Liverpool or Man U and by then we'll be 4 points adrift of Watford who I believe will easily beat Norwich. 

10 minutes ago, useless said:

By Man Utd having an off day I mean like when we drew with them earlier this season, or when Trammere and Rochdale did, or when Burnley, Bournemouth, West Ham and Newcastle beat them.

They didn't have Bruno and Pogba when we played them.

Different fish now.

22 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Disagree with this.

It was difficult but we still cocked it up big time. Are the players we've bought even "good" Championship players? Time will tell.

Keep your eye on Brentford if they get up. Give them £130m they'll be finishing 12th no problem.

They have a squad, that's the difference. They won't be buying 12-15 players with that 130m. We couldn't even field a full starting XI of senior players in June. Give us 130m next season now that we do have a squad and I imagine we'd do a hell of a lot better ourselves. 

Let's use Trezeguet as an example. We could elect not to buy him and invest the ~10m in buying a better midfielder than Nakamba, or a better CB than Engels or Konsa. But that leaves us just with El Ghazi and Jota (who we basically got for free) as our wingers. We were also priced out of our main target that summer Benrahma. Rock, hard place etc. I still think we've done just enough to make us competitive. That we're still in this fight is testament to that.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

They have a squad, that's the difference. They won't be buying 12-15 players with that 130m. We couldn't even field a full starting XI of senior players in June. Give us 130m next season now that we do have a squad and I imagine we'd do a hell of a lot better ourselves. 

Let's use Trezeguet as an example. We could elect not to buy him and invest the ~10m in buying a better midfielder than Nakamba, or a better CB than Engels or Konsa. But that leaves us just with El Ghazi and Jota (who we basically got for free) as our wingers. We were also priced out of our main target that summer Benrahma. Rock, hard place etc. I still think we've done just enough to make us competitive. That we're still in this fight is testament to that.

You're correct, but I meant we could have bought better players for the same money.

Jay Rodriguez for £8m from WBA would have been infinitely more use than Wes.

Filip Kostic went to Frankfurt for £6m, we could have got him instead of Trez.

Look, I've just improved our squad and saved £15m. Now we can sign Kalvin Phillips instead of Marvellous.

It was tough, and we failed. I don't want another penny going towards anyone Suso is interested in.

1 minute ago, Tomaszk said:

You're correct, but I meant we could have bought better players for the same money.

Jay Rodriguez for £8m from WBA would have been infinitely more use than Wes.

Filip Kostic went to Frankfurt for £6m, we could have got him instead of Trez.

Look, I've just improved our squad and saved £15m. Now we can sign Kalvin Phillips instead of Marvellous.

It was tough, and we failed. I don't want another penny going towards anyone Suso is interested in.

Hmm, not sure about Rodriguez. He hasn't exactly been banging in the goals for Burnley. Also did not fit our model for better or worse. If we replaced Tammy Abraham with a crock like Jay Rodriguez, there would have been uproar. Of course Wesley hasn't exactly worked out, but we've looked relatively good while he was in the team. 

Cheap signings from inferior foreign leagues is exactly why we've struggled. It's easy to say Kostic might have been better than Trez, but who knows how he would've acclimated to the PL. The nature of our budget was such that we'd be taking gambles regardless of what we did. And to be honest, thank **** we had that budget. Could you imagine us not spending that 130m? We'd be worse than the season we went down.

1 hour ago, useless said:

We can beat Liverpool and Man Utd, that's the way to go rather than worrying about other teams.

Given that Liverpool are the league champions and we haven't beaten Man U at home in the league for nearly a quarter of a century I wouldn't put my house on it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Sheffield United seem to have done ok spending a lot less money than us in the transfer window and with a far cheaper squad than ours in the first place.

We had the resources and the opportunity, we just blew it.

Edited by ciggiesnbeer

Just now, ciggiesnbeer said:

Sheffield United seem to have done ok spending a lot less money than us and with a far cheaper squad than ours.

They also had a settled squad that they've been steadily building with the same coach since League 1.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

Sheffield United seem to have done ok spending a lot less money than us and with a far cheaper squad than ours.

they came up with a squad thats been together some time and with an identity  and a manger with a plan ! 

• Like 1