Premier League 2019-2020 Thread

Enda

6 hours ago, sidcow said:

Much though it pains me, West Ham beat Chelsea because they attacked them and had a go. 

We basically tried to park the bus for 90 minutes. Had zero attacking intent for 90 minutes, got a goal from nowhere and waited for the equiliser and inevitable defeat. 

The same attitude against Liverpool will end in the same result. Have a good go or lose.  Can't defend for 90 minutes against teams like that. 

I watched the whole game, and it's a stretch to say West Ham attached the. They scored from a corner, they're only real build up into the opposition box, and 1 breakaway at the end. They were just very clinical on the night and helped by a mare of a performance by Rudiger.

Edited by Keyblade
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Keyblade said:

I watched the whole game, and it's a stretch to say West Ham attached the. They scored from a corner, they're only real build up into the opposition box, and 1 breakaway at the end. They were just very clinical on the night and helped by a mare of a performance by Rudiger.

That’s what I thought. How can 29% possession ever be attacking and having a go? They kept bodies behind the ball and were superb on the break for the winner but helped out by Chelsea throwing everyone forward looking for the 3 points. 

1 hour ago, Keyblade said:

We had the same number of shots on target. Just 2 less shots overall. Same amount of possession virtually. Doesn't fit the narrative though does it? Chelsea were brilliant against us and bloody awful at West ham.

I think we had some good chances v Chelsea. 

Edited by Mjvilla
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Anybody know when the Arsenal game will be moved to. Looking at the fixtures it will have to be after the West Ham game.

The midweek before the west ham game is free isn't it?

15 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

You’re right. That’s where they will probably squeeze it in. Crazy fixture congestion.

Yeah, apart from our week to prepare for the un-winnable Liverpool match... 🤔 the games we have a chance of winning, just packed in with 48 hrs in between then play the champions and have a weeks prep time. 

23 hours ago, Mjvilla said:

Predictably ridiculous reaction in here last night I see. I actually saw it as a half decent night. Bournemouth and Watford were our more realistic rivals. I think west ham will finish above Brighton yet. Brighton were terrible against Man Utd (didn't press, close or lay a finger on man utd really) and are not out of it yet in my opinion. 

I saw it as a half decent night because probably our closest rivals got an absolute tanking at home. Bournemouth are in a worse position than us imo. That's Norwich and Bournemouth who I think will go. Then between us, Watford and Brighton. I think we will go down but it isn't lost at all. 

Chelsea were chalk and cheese from their performance against us. Their passing was so crisp, they pressed us and looked a very good side against us. Last night was completely different, apart from Pulisic. They were horrible, but it might spark a reaction against Watford. Might actually be a good thing. It's the way it works. It's football.

To suggest were down after last night's result is absolutely bizarre. Nothing changed last night to me. Talking like Watford will 100% win at Norwich. They've just lost at Burnley and at home to Southampton without a shot on target. I think norwich-watford will end in a draw. Watford finish is then tougher and they will need to get some really good results. As will we. Still in the balance.

West ham still to play Watford haven't they? I think what last night's west ham win has done has given us someone to cheer in that game. We can now all hope west ham beat Watford. 

Brighton have Norwich this weekend that wilm keep them safe as we would 7 points more than them to stay up. Anyone see us getting more than 7 points by end of season??

I cant

Just crunched some numbers on a whim, the average transfer fee for an incoming PL player after excluding loans and free transfers comes to around 16.5mil pounds. Perhaps we could use that as the standard of the average quality of a player. As in, an average first team PL player is valued on average at 16.5mil pounds.

As a comparison, the average value of a first team player in the Championship is valued at around 2.8mil pounds, highlighting the gulf in quality between the 2 leagues.

Thought it was interesting, is all.

Edited by Laughable Chimp
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Brighton have Norwich this weekend that wilm keep them safe as we would 7 points more than them to stay up. Anyone see us getting more than 7 points by end of season??

I cant

I see lots of summising and presuming. Who says Brighton are guaranteed 3 points at norwich?

My post was merely pointing out the possibilities of the actual here and now. Not what might happen

1 minute ago, Mjvilla said:

Who says Brighton are guaranteed 3 points at norwich?

Have you been watching Norwich lately?

Big spoiler alert: They are horrendous

Edited by villalad21
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Have you been watching Norwich lately?

Big spoiler alert: They are horrendous

No, I haven't. But they are into have to win games. Stranger things have happened. Didn't they beat man city this season? 

Like I said, just looking at the here and now instead of guessing what happens tomorrow.

10 hours ago, DaveAV1 said:

Haha, when I posted it I suddenly had a thought that it was Sunderland. In mitigation I have enjoyed a reasonably generous glass of 15 year old Glenfiddich. I’ll send a case to the home dressing room at Anfield for the weekend 😎

Only on the proviso, that they hurl it down their necks before kick off though! 🥃

I suppose another night of frenzied street celebrations had to be postponed in a hurry, due to last night's result. Let's hope we can make it a sobering weekend for them as well.😉

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Mjvilla said:

I see lots of summising and presuming. Who says Brighton are guaranteed 3 points at norwich?

My post was merely pointing out the possibilities of the actual here and now. Not what might happen

There hasnt been many strange results since restart. Norwich are playing awful at the moment id be shocked if they get anything.

Need to be realistic i think brighton  are safe and west ham will be very soon

18 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

There hasnt been many strange results since restart. Norwich are playing awful at the moment id be shocked if they get anything.

Need to be realistic i think brighton  are safe and west ham will be very soon

It only  takes a Watford win over Norwich and we are pretty much done.

Can't see where our win is coming from.

Edited by villalad21

11 hours ago, DaveAV1 said:

Haha, when I posted it I suddenly had a thought that it was Sunderland. In mitigation I have enjoyed a reasonably generous glass of 15 year old Glenfiddich. I’ll send a case to the home dressing room at Anfield for the weekend 😎

I'd hold onto it Dave, could be us needing it come full time!   :wacko:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Laughable Chimp said:

Just crunched some numbers on a whim, the average transfer fee for an incoming PL player after excluding loans and free transfers comes to around 16.5mil pounds. Perhaps we could use that as the standard of the average quality of a player. As in, an average first team PL player is valued on average at 16.5mil pounds.

As a comparison, the average value of a first team player in the Championship is valued at around 2.8mil pounds, highlighting the gulf in quality between the 2 leagues.

Thought it was interesting, is all.

Or if a championship club or a  premier league club is interested in the same player it will probably be half the price. I still kinda think a few of our summer signings would have probably moved to us even had we lost the play offs and would have cost less money if no other premier league clubs were interested.

3 hours ago, Keyblade said:

It's fiction. People have just started saying it.

They sat back for most of the game against a Chelsea playing terribly. Against us Chelsea were excellent. That can happen, Chelsea aren't inconsistent.

People are now inventing things to have a go at Smith. The end is nigh because we are going to get pumped at the weekend. I think we could get something v Utd actually. A draw not enough sadly at this stage.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

It's fiction. People have just started saying it.

They sat back for most of the game against a Chelsea playing terribly. Against us Chelsea were excellent. That can happen, Chelsea aren't inconsistent.

People are now inventing things to have a go at Smith. The end is nigh because we are going to get pumped at the weekend. I think we could get something v Utd actually. A draw not enough sadly at this stage.

There is so much pressure on the United game now. 
Watford will have played Norwich and Newcastle by the time we kick off against Palace. We could realistically be 5 points behind them at that point. Psychologically, I think we'd be done if that were to happen. 

I think we have to beat United to stay up. It just so happens we're playing them at a time when they're arguably playing the best football they've played in years. 

The Newcastle game was massive. And we blew it. Not because we didn't try. But because our players aren't good enough.

• Like 1