Premier League 2019-2020 Thread

Enda

2 hours ago, andym said:

The positives are that we are generally holding our own, its not like its backs to the wall for 90 mins every week. Majority of our issues have been self inflicted.

My take is that we are generally playing well. If we continue to play well results will come. 

When you are playing badly and losing every week that's when you are screwed.  It's nothing like our relegation year at all.  We are have been competitive in every game we've played, even against top 6 teams away from home. 

The only game we've really struggled with was Crystal Palace away where we played against the ref for 90 minutes and with 10 men for 40 minutes and even then were robbed of a point. 

I'm not one bit happy but I'm not in panic mode and still confident we will be OK this season.  Win next week we are out of the relegation zone with another winnable game at home the following week. 

Watford are a busted flush, just 2 relegation places to avoid. 

If we are in touch by January I am confident Jesus and Smith will know what's needed and the owners will provide. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

It's the mental side that worries me.

Most of these players are mentally weak. Once we are 1 goal up they go instinctively into that survival mode. Like a rabbit getting chased by a fox. Well we are that poor rabbit, helplessly trying to get away safe but inevitable get catched and eaten alive.

They get scared and nervous when we get put under pressure and it should worry everyone on here.  

Edited by villalad21

5 minutes ago, sidcow said:

My take is that we are generally playing well. If we continue to play well results will come. 

I hope you are right and I want to think you are right.

The problem we have is that we have been playing well for 6 out of 7 games and that has resulted in 5 points.

29 games to go but we need to get results quickly because it's very likely we will stop playing well for a few games and that's when the problem starts. We could do with a few points cushion and we lost out on it.

1 hour ago, VillaChris said:

Our run up to middle of December is very difficult. Norwich are tough to play on their own turf so point at best there. After Brighton we have Man. City-Liverpool-Wolves (picking up form now)-Newcastle-Man. United-Chelsea-Leicester.

Going to be a regret not getting more points on the board in early stages I think especially after the euphoric night against Everton. Not winning since is very disapointing.

Some good points here, but a euphoric win doesn't mean much on its own; Norwich's record since beating City is no better. They are tough to play at Carrow Road, as you say, but we have to go into that thinking it's a possible three points. Since the City game, they have failed to score against both Burnley and Palace, and it does seem like if you can keep Pukki quiet, you can largely shut them down.

Today's result for us was disappointing, but if I try to put a slightly positive spin on things, Burnley were always likely to be the hardest of the three 'winnable games'; they're famously hard to beat, and have been in the league for a while now. Norwich and Brighton, like ourselves, are more marginal members of the league. Now all that being said, we do really need to get at least 4 points, and ideally 6, from the next two games.

4 hours ago, villalad21 said:

God help us all.

You get horrible runs of fixtures in the PL. After City and Liverpool, all of the other teams are potential points to pick up.

11 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

I hope you are right and I want to think you are right.

The problem we have is that we have been playing well for 6 out of 7 games and that has resulted in 5 points.

29 games to go but we need to get results quickly because it's very likely we will stop playing well for a few games and that's when the problem starts. We could do with a few points cushion and we lost out on it.

It's football though.  We will probably play a few bad games and inexplicably grab some totally undeserved points and wonder how the hell we managed it. Its a fanny ole game. 

Former-Tottenham-and-England-legend-Jimm

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, sidcow said:

It's football though.  We will probably play a few bad games and inexplicably grab some totally undeserved points and wonder how the hell we managed it. Its a fanny ole game. 

Former-Tottenham-and-England-legend-Jimm

walrus yes GIF

• Haha 2

The biggest worry in my opinion is that in the second part of the season we'll only have couple of home games against sides around us. Worst thing about our schedule is that we play 5 of top 6 away plus Wolves.

So we only play, Wolves, Watford, Norwich, Sheffield and Crystal Palace at home. Even Norwich if played at the new year. That's my main worry. I know that we have plenty of times to develop as a team and we could do with some additions. But whenever I think of this I get worried. 

Our away form need to get sorted as soon as possible.

• Like 1

DS spent a lot of ££ to build a team ,he had to as villa was loan players last season.

the team was going to hit the ground running or be not good enough.

the league does not lie, points dropped at vital times in games.

if no change this team will relegate .

Edited by cbr600rr

Our home games until January are:

Brighton, Liverpool, Newcastle, Leicester, Southampton and Norwich (boxing day).

So basically 4 winnable and one a draw would be fine. Anything from Liverpool is bonus.

In reality 3 wins and two draws would be a good return. 11 points added to our current 5. 

We'll be away at:

Norwich, City, Wolves, Man Utd, Chelsea, Sheff Utd, Watford and Burnley (New Year).

5 winnable games, if we can win 2 of them and draw a few then we could be in a good position. 

I think winning next game at Norwich would be really huge for us. If we can somehow be above 22-24 after playing Burnley. I think we'll be in a good position as we should be developing as a team, plus getting a player or two by then which would help us more. 

• Like 2

It's such a tough league and the difference between being successful and failing is a very fine line. Hopefully we will be able to start Targett and Hourihane and cut out the mistakes at the back, we looked excellent for large parts of the first half against a solid Burnley team , if we hadnt lost concentration at the back we would have easily beaten them.

It's a good sign we have been competing in all our games and I just hope this continues. If we start getting well beaten with little or no resistance then we're more or less down.

I can remember being 3 down at home to Wigan at half time  , we was always getting relegated after that despicable performance . I haven't seen that surrender in this team and long may that continue . 

14 hours ago, Rightdm00 said:

Which we can fix in the January window if need be.  If we had major issues say like cheap owners, a clueless manager, or multiple holes in the squad I would be panic stations.  But this team just needs some fine tuning.  You have to be good enough to get a lead to then throw one away.  These 7 games we have shown that the Prem isn't to big for us and that we can hang with pretty much anyone bar maybe ManC and Pool.  The issues with this team can easily be fixed given the resources of our Owners and the know how of our managerial team.  Until our Owners pull a Lerner or Dean goes all Steve Bruce i'm keeping the faith.  

Not if we are 20th and miles from safety.

Big big cock up not signing another striker.  Wesley is just shit as a lone striker. He looks more like a man u have behind a striker not one that leads the line. For a big guy he is a utter wimp.

Seeing how bad Watford and Newcastle look i think 38 points will be enough this season.

We're currently 2 pts off schedule. Doesn't look that much but keep in mind we've had fairly favorable opening fixtures.

Edited by villalad21