Premier League 2019-2020 Thread

Enda

18 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

@villalad21 mentioned on another thread we have had the most shot on target against us in the league.  I can’t find this stat anywhere and it’s doing my head in now.  

Anyone know where I can find it? 

You can check the team statistics on WhoScored, but we're tied with Norwich for the second most shots conceded per game in the league at 17.3. Only Arsenal concede more with 18.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

You can check the team statistics on WhoScored, but we're tied with Norwich for the second most shots conceded per game in the league at 17.3. Only Arsenal concede more with 18.

Thanks but Villa lad mentioned it was shots on target which is why he thought we had a ‘woeful’ defence. I’m interested to see this. 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

2 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

They mentioned the stats in Sky studio a week ago when talking about Arsenal.

2 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Thanks but Villa lad mentioned it was shots on target which is why he thought we had a ‘woeful’ defence. I’m interested to see this. 

Couldn't find any stat for on target shots (conceded). But for what it's worth, we're 6th in the league for shots on target in an offensive sense.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

They mentioned the stats in Sky studio a week ago when talking about Arsenal.

You sure they didn’t mean  overall shots rather than on target?

lets say it was all shots against them the number is 121 which is way to high and suggests we are not defending well as a team and keep the ball well enough. But considering we have conceded 11, Heaton saved 15 and 40 were blocked that means the remaining 55 attempts weren't even on target. 

so out of 121 attempts from opposition that means we are only conceded from an average of 9% of those attempts in games. 

Now I’ve probably got claret and blue tinted glasses on but to me that backs up what I’ve seen from watching us play in that we have a decent defence. I’m very surprised  you think it’s woeful 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

9 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

121 shots against in 7 games?

That's nearly 20 per game, that's concerning even if they are off target.

It is. But it doesn’t mean we have a poor defence. It means the opposite if anything. 

It does suggest we are not defending well as a team though. 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

34 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Now I’ve probably got claret and blue tinted glasses on but to me that backs up what I’ve seen from watching us play in that we have a decent defence. I’m very surprised  you think it’s woeful 

I'm sorry to say it but 5 goals conceded in 2 games is not a decent defense no matter how you view it.

But for what it's worth i don't it's because our defenders are bad just how Smith set his team up. Both McGinn and Jack bombing forward leaves our defense exposed. Nakamba can't make the job of 2.

9 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

I'm sorry to say it but 5 goals conceded in 2 games is not a decent defense no matter how you view it.

But for what it's worth i don't it's because our defenders are bad just how Smith set his team up. Both McGinn and Jack bombing forward leaves our defense exposed. Nakamba can't make the job of 2.

Ok maybe decent not the right word. It’s certainly not woeful though.   We are 13th in the table for goals conceded so there is worse defences. 

5 hours ago, turvontour said:

So important that we quickly learn to protect leads and to close out games. If we do that we'll be fine.

If our matches had finished on the 70th minute so far this season, we'd be 3rd in the league.

Exactly, that was our main threat under Bruce. I think it was around 22-24 games where we didn't lose once we lead the game. I think drew twice and won all.

So far we dropped 8 points after leading games.

I think the key is to secure our lead by scoring more to build confidence. I think the players doubt themselves whenever we're winning, even our attacking and finishing become a bit worse despite having better opportunities.

Edited by abdulaziz1

On 03/10/2019 at 22:16, VillaChris said:

Got a worrying feeling Brighton are going to turn over Spurs. Can see Newcastle and Man. United playing out dismal 0-0 aswell.

We need something at Norwich. Oh and I need to put some insurance bets on!

Most tragic thing here is I forgot to go to the bookies yesterday. And this morning. :lol: