Premier League 2019-2020 Thread

Enda

Just looking on the Premier league stats website and interestingly Mings has touched the ball more than any of our other players, then It's Grealish then Engels, then Taylor and McGinn. Obvioulsy stats don't tell the whole story, but for all the criticsim that Mings gets, it shows that he's really well for us in terms of things like blocks, tackles won and so on, could do with it being our more advanced players that see more of the ball though. Need to keep the dream alive as best we can.

They have been excellent this season, so one bad match doesn't mean it's an issue. Neither does two for that matter. They are settling like the rest of the team.

And I never said anything about Taylor so I don't know what you're talking about.

We lost concentration and let a player have a free header in the box. Under normal circumstances Engels , Ming's Heaton and Taylor ( for the first goal) would have cleared the ball or at least challenged the player to make it a little more difficult . Add to that we had two players trying to block the cross for the second ,Taylor showed him the outside and Grealish tried to block the cross ( which was a great cross by Lowton) 

A catalogue of sloppy errors and a lack of concentration ( neither center back was watching the ball) 

So Burnley's goals were mistakes, our goals were well worked and well taken goals , of which we could have at least another 2 with a bit of luck and composure.

As someone else as pointed out, sooner or later things will click, we will get a bit of deserved luck and we will score a hat full.

This is the best Villa team I have seen In years, back before MON took charge . Reminds me of big Ron's Villa team. 

2 hours ago, villalad21 said:

I disagree. Mings was direct at fault against Arsenal. Engels was part fault against Burnley, he even admitted it himself in the post match interview.

And Heaton was at fault against Bournemouth.

Don't try to scapegoat and put all blame on Taylor. It's embarrassing.

Embarrassing for who?

17 minutes ago, tinker said:

We lost concentration and let a player have a free header in the box. Under normal circumstances Engels , Ming's Heaton and Taylor ( for the first goal) would have cleared the ball or at least challenged the player to make it a little more difficult . Add to that we had two players trying to block the cross for the second ,Taylor showed him the outside and Grealish tried to block the cross ( which was a great cross by Lowton) 

A catalogue of sloppy errors and a lack of concentration ( neither center back was watching the ball) 

So Burnley's goals were mistakes, our goals were well worked and well taken goals , of which we could have at least another 2 with a bit of luck and composure.

As someone else as pointed out, sooner or later things will click, we will get a bit of deserved luck and we will score a hat full.

This is the best Villa team I have seen In years, back before MON took charge . Reminds me of big Ron's Villa team. 

Nah MON’s teams were better but I do think this team is more exciting to watch. 

Just cast your minds back to the Lambert and McLeish years. We were awful. Rarely created chances and just generally looked devoid of ideas. We actually stayed up 4 years in a row under them.

Now compare those sides to our current one. We're lightyears apart. We're outplaying almost every team we face, including some very good sides. We're being let down by naivety and stupid mistakes, depriving us of points. These are easily correctible during the course of the season. 

What's not easily correctible is not having a set/coached way of playing attacking football. What's also not easily correctible is having a squad full of poor players and/or a thin squad. We have some very good players throughout our team, we're just a bit light in a couple of areas but that's something that can be easily addressed in January. I think we're in a very good position. I haven't been this optimistic about the outcome of our season since the MON days, let's put it that way.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Everyone who blames Taylor for all our defensive problems.

Other defenders are doing mistakes, yet they get away with it while Taylor always get's the stick.

I think its because his errors are more glaring.....but i get your point.

also, a player who gives so much and drops a brick, will get it overlooked.....I don't think that applies to Taylor, but once again its all opinions. Fortunately for him, the manager disagrees with me.

17 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Nah MON’s teams were better but I do think this team is more exciting to watch. 

Maybe I have phrased it wrong, MON  team played on the break with quick wingers , I prefer the possession based game that we are playing now. MON team did have more success ( after a few seasons) but it was always a bit scrappy to watch.

• Like 1

You defend from the front. Once we have an attacker running at our back line that means two lines of defense have already been played through. Currently we sorely lack steel in the middle of the park.  Teams have been playing through our midfield with regularity this season. I'm pretty sure that was the main reason Jack got pushed out wide. Connor is probably fine at home as Nakamba's partner but on the road it has to be Douglas. You could almost make the point we need another pure DM to break up play as neither Douglas or Nakamba really fit that role. I know it sounds crazy after spending $140 million but the January transfer window will be key to our relegation fight. 

10 minutes ago, useless said:

It's okay to admit that you're disappointed with the results so far, it doesn't mean to say that you think that Smith is a bad manager or that things can't get better.

I don't think Smith is a bad manager at all but i'm still not sure if he's good enough.

What he achieved last season was nothing short of miracle. I still think Wyness, Round and Bruce have a lot to answer for, if their recruitment had have been better then we wouldn't have had to have rebuilt much of our squad this past summer, meaning that we wouldn't have had to spread our money around so thinley, and as a consequence would have been in a better position to sign better players. Those cruel years are still having their affect on us.

12 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

I don't think Smith is a bad manager at all but i'm still not sure if he's good enough.

Hasn't being so terribly wrong about him last season given you some pause to maybe just see things how play out before coming to your judgements?

3 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Hasn't being so terribly wrong about him last season given you some pause to maybe just see things how play out before coming to your judgements?

Terrible wrong?

Finishing 5th with one of the highest paying squads is no great achievement.

Just now, villalad21 said:

Terrible wrong?

Finishing 5th with one of the highest paying squads is no great achievement.

You were harping for months that and I quote, "Dean Smith is a midtable Championship manager at best". Now he's a PL manager just a few months later. You were embarrassingly wrong in fact.

1 minute ago, Keyblade said:

You were harping for months that and I quote, "Dean Smith is a midtable Championship manager at best". Now he's a PL manager just a few months later. You were embarrassingly wrong in fact.

I hope it works out for him i really do, but if he doesn't start picking up some wins before Christmas i don't know how long he will last.

19 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Don’t expect anything from them games. 

We have a lot of teams around us to also play yet. 

We should not be writing off Chelsea or Man. United games at all. Sheffield United already got a 2-2 at Chelsea and can see Man. United leaking points to likes of Norwich and Brighton.

• Like 2