Premier League 2019-2020 Thread

Enda

20 minutes ago, abdulaziz1 said:

a bit lack of confidence which is making us fail.

Which is a massive worry.

Being in narrow leading positions will play into the mind with the players in the future.

A big chunk of football is mental. If you're weak in that department you're in trouble.

Watford look in big trouble, Norwich are struggling to score against the lesser teams. Brighton, Newcastle and Southampton arent setting the world alight. Some of these teams are in bigger trouble than us since 5 of them have been in top flight for a number of seasons and none had major changes

• Like 1

1 hour ago, villalad21 said:

When does this excuse end?

Give me a number. 10 games? 15 games? 20 games?

I think maybe a few on this forum needed to have more realistic expectations.  Dean said at the start of the season the goal was to stay up. And that he would go out to win every game. We've done exactly that. Name a game where we weren't in til the end? A promoted team who's own CEO said we are a year ahead of schedule, what exactly were you expecting?  We finished fifth in the Championship ffs.

Their's no God given right to a comfortable mid table finish in the Prem. We are in a fight with about 10 other clubs that desperately want to stay in the Prem like us.  Many of them, think Burnley and Bournemouth, have been in this fight for years. While Villa is just getting started.  We are 7 games into the season and we are one point off our target position on the table. By no means should we be happy but the way some talk on here you would think we are 20th still looking for our first goal. 

• Thanks 4

1 hour ago, Rightdm00 said:

I think maybe a few on this forum needed to have more realistic expectations.  Dean said at the start of the season the goal was to stay up. And that he would go out to win every game. We've done exactly that. Name a game where we weren't in til the end? A promoted team who's own CEO said we are a year ahead of schedule, what exactly were you expecting?  We finished fifth in the Championship ffs.

Their's no God given right to a comfortable mid table finish in the Prem. We are in a fight with about 10 other clubs that desperately want to stay in the Prem like us.  Many of them, think Burnley and Bournemouth, have been in this fight for years. While Villa is just getting started.  We are 7 games into the season and we are one point off our target position on the table. By no means should we be happy but the way some talk on here you would think we are 20th still looking for our first goal. 

Very good post. Looking at the table in context we have played 7 games and 6 of them have been against teams in the top half. The only side we’ve played in the lower half is Everton who we beat. 

Just now, DaveAV1 said:

Very good post. Looking at the table in context we have played 7 games and 6 of them have been against teams in the top half. The only side we’ve played in the lower half is Everton who we beat. 

Keep making those excuses.

The reality is we don’t have a forward good enough to keep us up. 

12 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Although I agree with our forward thing. But we’re scoring, I think at the moment Davis would be a better choice. His hold up play will be helpful. As only our midfielders are scoring so far.

Just now, Delphinho123 said:

Not an excuse at all a simple fact. I agree that we aren’t strong enough up front but we’re far from dead and buried after 7 games. Wesley has had a steep learning curve but has still scored a couple. He possibly needs taking out of the firing line for a couple of games, strikers are confidence players and it’s important that we don’t completely destroy his. It shouldn’t be underestimated how difficult it can be to settle for players. Some people take it in their stride, others take longer. It’s not just getting used to new team mates, it’s a new and very different league, new country, new language, miles from friends and family. He has all that to contend with and unlike most jobs he has to do it in the full glare of the most watched league on the planet. 

I don’t know if the kid is going to make it or not, but a lot of better qualified people than me thought he was worth £20m. He certainly deserves more than a couple of months before we write him off. Looking after players both physically and mentally is a lot harder than I’m sure most of us appreciate. Doing that in the context of a squad is a massive and complex juggling act. We need to be patient and supportive, especially when the going gets tough. 

• Thanks 2

Last 5 games we’ve 5 Points. GD =0

Wolves 5 Points GD = -2

Sheffield UTD 4 Points GD = -1

Norwich 3 Points GD = -6

Everton 3 Points GD = -7

Brighton 2 Points GD = -8

Watford 2 Points GD = - 12

————————————————

🙂👍 so what feels like a disappointing month ain’t that bad folks !

• Like 2

We're playing well. I'd be way more worried if we weren't getting into the winning positions in the first place or if we were shipping unnecessary goals left and right which are hallmarks of relegation teams.

We're just 1 point off safety after 7 games after it couldn't have gotten more wrong for us in most of our games. Not even an ounce of luck. It can only get better. I mean, that's the next best position we could have feasibly been in other than having a great start to the season and being comfortably midtable.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, bannedfromHandV said:

We are a promoted side, it’s highly likely any promoted side will be in some form of a relegation battle first season up. 

That we spent a lot of money is kind of irrelevant - as we all know, we had a threadbare squad to say the least after letting go of the guys we know for sure were not up to PL standard (mostly due to age).

Smith was a good Manager when we won at Wembley and he’s a good manager still now, we are well in games, if we were not in games and getting turned over I’d be really panicking but we’re not. I think some of you guys need to just spend a bit of time away from a keyboard after a match with all due respect.

Well said.

6 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Experience, which can only be gained over time.

Dont listen to the sensationalist media BS, we do have time, it’s a marathon not a sprint.

Palace lost what was it? Their first 10 games straight and still stayed up a season or two ago.

Time, and good coaching. 👍

• Like 2