Premier League 2019-2020 Thread

Enda

15 hours ago, Spoony said:

Genuinely miss the championship. Gone from looking forward to winning games and playing for potentially winning a competition to just clinging on for dear life in a league we will never win. Feels a bit pointless 

Me too. Looks like we're getting back there soon though.

7 hours ago, omariqy said:

Of course we have. We should be 2 points better off at least. Regardless of defending or mistakes, we should have scored 3 goals at the emirates (assuming the pen goes in) and have a point against Palace. Not to mention the McGinn penalty claim against Spurs, Noble sending off, Billing second yellow. In addition to all of that their free kick goal should not have stood.

Not aiming this at you Dem but our fans need to get some **** belief back, as well as the players. We have made 3 of the top 6 to 7 teams in the PL look average for large parts of the game in Spurs, Arsenal and West Ham. I'm talking 11 v 11.  If we kept getting battered or looked poor I would worry but you can see the kind of team we have potentially. Just need that extra belief and nous. 

Spot on this. 

Palace away was probably our worst performance so far, other than that we’ve more than held our own against the rest of the teams we’ve played. 

Most of the new signings have settled reasonably well and the existing players have shown they can make the step up. Plenty of reasons to think the majority of them will continue to improve as the season goes on, which was the strategy behind the signings in the first place. 

We’ve been naive at times, we’ve made individual errors and poor decisions on the field that have cost us. In addition to that, we definitely haven’t had the rub when it comes to referring decisions so far this season.

We do need a quick win or two from the next three games, otherwise we risk confidence beginning to drain and performance levels going the wrong way, but overall I still think there is good reason to be optimistic about this season. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, DaveAV1 said:

VAR is simply not working. Basically the ref on the pitch has, in many situations, absolved himself of the responsibility of making a difficult decision. He subconsciously, or consciously, thinks that the VAR ref, with the luxury of time and slow motion replays will make the right decision for him. Unfortunately the mindset of the VAR ref is that he doesn’t want to go against a fellow ref’s decision and in turn absolves himself also of responsibility. 

All they have done with VAR is add another layer of incompetence. Humans need to be taken out of the equation. The big moan that we often have with refs is that they’re not consistent, by adding another ref that adds to the inconsistency. 

Goal line technology is fine as that is a piece of technology that works. Refereeing by committee isn’t working and never will. Referees just need to be better, not given a get out clause. 

It's our officials, it works much better in other countries and at the WC etc...makes sense that it's all headed up by that absolute clown Mike Riley.

• Like 1

It's no doubt a controversial view i have but i am more & more convinced the Premier League is corrupt. I must admit when VAR was confirmed i did think to myself that i must be wrong as they would not allow VAR in otherwise as "Control" over results would be vanquished.....  What i have seen thus far however has answered my questions as to how that "Control" would be retained.... The simple "Avoid making a decision" tactic! Must admit i didn't think of that as i thought it would make it too obvious but instead they just hide away and give ridiculous nonsensical arguments as required in an attempt to cover it up. Shame on them all.

How you can disallow a goal for being offside by 1mm or whatever it was (Leicester v Spurs) and then ignore a blatant handball which should have been a penalty (Arsenal v us) and allow a goal to stand when there had been a clear & blatant breaking of one of the new rules by not one but two Arsenal players in the same game which should have resulted in the goal being disallowed and an indirect free kick to us is beyond me and it always but always happens against either the London clubs, Man U or Liverpool. ..... Coincidence?  

No doubt it will either be ignored or some lame pathetic nonsensical excuse will be made...again.

I'll be honest, the 'handball' late in the game by (Sokrates?) Arsenal that ended up a no call, was the right call.

I'd be f***ing fuming had that been given against us, or if a referee blew that on me in a futsal match.

Yes it blatantly hits his arm, but he is actively trying to keep his arm down while jumping (not easy), and I think the ref saw that.

I might have the rules of the game wrong on that one, but from my understanding that's a no call.

1 hour ago, A'Villan said:

I'll be honest, the 'handball' late in the game by (Sokrates?) Arsenal that ended up a no call, was the right call.

I'd be f***ing fuming had that been given against us, or if a referee blew that on me in a futsal match.

Yes it blatantly hits his arm, but he is actively trying to keep his arm down while jumping (not easy), and I think the ref saw that.

I might have the rules of the game wrong on that one, but from my understanding that's a no call.

I’m sorry but I think you’re wrong. He clearly leans towards the ball with his arm hitting it. All of the pundits on MOTD said it was as clear a penalty as you can get. They even went through the 5 reasons why it may not have been given and none of them applied. Alan Shearer and Danny Mills don’t generally give us the time of day, so for them to back us it seems to be fairly clear cut that it should have been a pen. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

I’m sorry but I think you’re wrong. He clearly leans towards the ball with his arm hitting it. All of the pundits on MOTD said it was as clear a penalty as you can get. They even went through the 5 reasons why it may not have been given and none of them applied. Alan Shearer and Danny Mills don’t generally give us the time of day, so for them to back us it seems to be fairly clear cut that it should have been a pen. 

It is without a doubt his arm that it hits. So you're probably right. And if it was intentional, like you say he leans into it, then sure, penalty. From when I saw it I didn't think much of it.

20 minutes ago, A'Villan said:

It is without a doubt his arm that it hits. So you're probably right. And if it was intentional, like you say he leans into it, then sure, penalty. From when I saw it I didn't think much of it.

To be fair I’d say I’ve seen them given and not given, but surely this kind of situation is what VAR was introduced for. On replays it’s pretty clearly a penalty. VAR just isn’t fit for purpose and neither are an increasing number of referees. Which for me is the root of the problem and VAR has just added another layer of incompetence. 

13 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

I keep hearing we're a young, new team and will improve and learn.

But in the West Ham and Arsenal games we've done the same mistakes twice now and that's evidence that shows we aren't learning at all.

Worrying as hell.

What mistakes did we make vs West Ham. Was a 0-0 game with little chances

We are all disappointed but have to be realistic and realise that this league is new to almost all that team. Also, Wesley, Trezeguet, Nakamba, Luiz, Guilbert, Engels are all settling into the area and have only been here for several games. 

Whether we can accept it or not, we are work in progress. In terms of today's market, for the Premier League, we shopped at Aldi. We spent a big amount collectively but on a whole team. Other clubs spend more than that on one player. 

We all need to keep calm and accept it for what it is. No point getting on the players backs because, if the worst does happen and we go down, we will be replying on most of this group to get us back up. 

Burnley have been there and done it. Gone down, kept the faith then, gone back up again. 

I know that Saturday seems a must win game but it won't be easy. Burnley beat Norwich and who would have thought that after they beat Man City a week earlier? 

Dean Smith and his team need time. That time may come too late but we have to keep patient with them and support them all the way. This team is trying and trying bloody hard. The likes of McGinn and Grealish were out on their feet against Arsenal because they'd done so much work. There is absolutely no comparison between this Villa team and the one that took us down a few years ago. We had every right to criticise them for lack of everything but this team shows quality and effort. We just need to find those extra couple of ingredients to see us through. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Yes we signed a lot of players, but for the most part half of our first eleven has been as it was last season, Mings, Elmohamady, Taylor, McGinn, Grealish, and El Ghazi, were all regulars during our run of good form during last season, so I think that excuse is a bit overplayed. At anyone time we've only really introduced four or five players into the starting line-up that weren't with us last season, it seems a lot, but most teams will sign three or four players each summer with the intention of them being in the starting eleven, for instance Sheffield United signed ten players in the summer and four or five of them were involved in their win at Everton.

3 minutes ago, useless said:

Yes we signed a lot of players, but for the most part half of our first eleven has been as it was last season, Mings, Elmohamady, Taylor, McGinn, Grealish, and El Ghazi, were all regulars during our run of good form during last season, so I think that excuse is a bit overplayed. At anyone time we've only really introduced four or five players into the starting line-up that weren't with us last season, it seems a lot, but most teams will sign three or four players each summer with the intention of them being in the starting eleven, for instance Sheffield United signed ten players in the summer and four or five of them were involved in their win at Everton.

The last two games has seen Heaton, Engels, Guilbert, Nakamba, Trezeguet/Jota & Wesley start. That's 6 new players, over half of the 11 man team.

The two previous games we started with Heaton, Engels, Guilbert, Luiz, Trezeguet, Jota & Wesley start. That's 7 new players.

• Like 1

Burnley is going to be a tough one they have drawn 2 and lost 1 away and are no mugs we will need to be on top form to beat them which I am expecting us to.

They will also be expecting to come away with something from us though as a newly promoted team. Really looking forward to this one.