Premier League 2019-2020 Thread

Enda

4 hours ago, villalad21 said:

Seeing how bad Watford and Newcastle look i think 38 points will be enough this season.

We're currently 2 pts off schedule. Doesn't look that much but keep in mind we've had fairly favorable opening fixtures.

We've played 1 team currently in the bottom half, Everton.

We haven't had a hard start, but it hasn't been an easy start either.

The frustration is that we have got ourselves into good positions and blown it, and throwing away points comes back to haunt you

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, andym said:

We've played 1 team currently in the bottom half, Everton.

We haven't had a hard start, but it hasn't been an easy start either.

The frustration is that we have got ourselves into good positions and blown it, and throwing away points comes back to haunt you

It's the Villa way. I have lost count of how many times we have crumbled from good positions.

31 minutes ago, KHV said:

It's the Villa way. I have lost count of how many times we have crumbled from good positions.

But.....if we hadn’t “ crumbled”....we’d be third !! Is that honestly remotely a realistic proposition ?

If, instead of being in front and dropping points, we just dropped points, itd be the same outcome, but folk would be less worried, as overall the total isn’t far off.

We aren’t dropping points because of a defect, we are dropping them because we aren’t as good overall, yet, as much of the opposition.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

It wouldn't surprise me at all if we clicked and claimed a couple big scalps.

Against teams which "play", we have alot of joy.

We need that bit of luck with the opposition also having an off day. Everyone talks about how brilliant Norwich were but they were gifted a goal and City had an off day also missing a few sitters.  Everything went for Norwich.  

I remember Wigan beating them the same way a couple of seasons ago. 

• Like 1

I know this sounds like a poor excuse but if you look back at the goals we have conceded we haven't half had some bad luck where our player has put in a block or tackle which has ricochet straight off the attacking player straight back into his path. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, sidcow said:

I know this sounds like a poor excuse but if you look back at the goals we have conceded we haven't half had some bad luck where our player has put in a block or tackle which has ricochet straight off the attacking player straight back into his path. 

We’ve had s**t luck all season. But it’s clear the team are working their asses off every game.   We should be on 6 points too.

Hopefully the points will come in the next 2 games. 

• Like 1

With Saturday now out of the way it's a bit easier to take a look back on where we are. The result in itself, a draw against Burnley, really isn't the end of the world. They are an established PL side and for large parts of the game we were by far the better side.

At this stage in the season performances are the key to looking at where the season could go. If you look at teams like Newcastle and Watford, both are showing no signs of picking up any sort of form. Norwich and Brighton both started brightly but have dipped and their performances are poor. In the mix then are Everton, Wolves, Southampton and Villa. 

Performance wise in large periods of games we have been the better team, it's the fine tuning that we now need apply to ensure that we don't let games slip. If the results don't come then panic may set in, but right now we are still adapting and it was never going to be any different.

For all that people are complaining about Wesley not scoring, the goals are still flowing. It's the other end of the pitch where the mistakes are being made. I honestly think with another month behind us, we will start to turn the draws into wins and climb up the table.

Despite what was said in the Summer, we were never going to push for Europe in our first season back. The Dean Smith Project is now only coming up to it's first year, we need at least another season to stabilize ourselves before we can begin to push on. Finishing 17th in the PL this season will allow us to reset and really push next season, and that should be our aim right now. There's no need to be getting ahead of ourselves and having meltdowns over not winning every single week. There's a bigger picture here.

• Like 2

I think Newcastle losing so bad has soften the blow a little for Saturdays draw. I guess we have been playing kinda decent if in most games we are almost knocking on the door for 3 points which must be a positive. At the moment I think it's Newcastle and Watford who look like they may go down. We just have to endure were not occupying the third relegation spot. 

Personally think Wesley has been the weakest link in most games, he offers nothing, doesn't harass defenders, when we've gone a man up, it has made no difference because with Wesley's pedestrian style of play it's almost like we have 10 men. Think that also causes other midfielders to get tired, you see McGinn, Grealish sometimes running to the opposition GK, this should be Wesley. 

Pretty much all posts on here are relating to how wrong things are going for us at the moment, what Smith isn't doing, what he should be doing, which players need to dropped, or others that need to player more, who we should sign in January, will we be able to hang on to McGinn.

Watched the match again and one thing is clear, what we lack is what McGinn brings to the table. The determination, the urgency, the pace and acceleration, the directness. I don't know who we will sign the next windows, but those attributes are needed in spades.  

13 hours ago, terrytini said:

But.....if we hadn’t “ crumbled”....we’d be third !! Is that honestly remotely a realistic proposition ?

If, instead of being in front and dropping points, we just dropped points, itd be the same outcome, but folk would be less worried, as overall the total isn’t far off.

We aren’t dropping points because of a defect, we are dropping them because we aren’t as good overall, yet, as much of the opposition.

We have been dropping points from winning positions for years. 

This isn't something new. I have never known a club be so bad at holding a lead. 

We have been blowing leads for years and years.

It's weird 

I think we've got enough about us when we're playing well to stay up. I also think we've got a lot of room for improvement and the most pressing one or two issues in personnel will probably be addressed in Jan. 

I wouldn't be anywhere near as positive had we been playing shite and had a few more points. Sooner or later you get found out and as we've seen in the past you might get away with it for a couple of years, but it catches up with you and then when you go down you have a lot more work to do to turn it around. We on the other hand have shown a lot of good football and that we're capable of taking the game to anyone we've played. Yes the last 2 results have hurt, but we had to get in the lead to be in the position to lose it, I'd rather that than playing anti-football and fluking a point here and there getting battered every 90 minutes.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

After 7 games the fact we are saying we should have won after the last 3 games surely is a positive for a newly promoted team.  

The way some of the fans talk about us definitely going down you’d think we’d been turned over every game. 

As for having an easy start to the season. As many have pointed out we have only played one team that is currently in the bottom half and we won that game. In terms of the current average position of opposition it’s only Norwich that have had a tougher start out of the teams in the bottom half.

We haven't played city Chelsea Liverpool or our bogeyside manure though.  

18 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Think nobody has said the midfield is the issue. We all know what our issue are. It isn't the CB's either. 

I disagree. Mings was direct at fault against Arsenal. Engels was part fault against Burnley, he even admitted it himself in the post match interview.

And Heaton was at fault against Bournemouth.

Don't try to scapegoat and put all blame on Taylor. It's embarrassing.