Premier League 2019-2020 Thread

Enda

1 minute ago, VillaChris said:

We should not be writing off Chelsea or Man. United games at all. Sheffield United already got a 2-2 at Chelsea and can see Man. United leaking points to likes of Norwich and Brighton.

True but I see anything from those as a bonus. 

It’s the 6 pointers that will keep us up.

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

Despite our position and recent results, I'm still really pleased about where we are as a team, and I'm excited for the future - no matter which league we're in!

Look at the age of our squad. I can't remember the last time that we had such a good, young squad with potential to improve under a good coaching set-up like we have now. Grealish (24), McGinn (24), Wesley (22), Luiz (21), El Ghazi (24), Marvelous (25), Trezequet (25), Targett (24), Engels (25), Konsa (21), Guilbert (24), Hause (24), Mings (26) & Davis (21) are all decent players, coming into the prime of their careers. I look at that list and I don't see a single player who makes me think 'he's useless, what a waste of money'.

Some of these players will make mistakes or have bad games, which is expected, but what I'm certain of, is that they'll get better the longer they play together, and the longer Smith has to coach them.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, villalad21 said:

If we can't beat a 10 man historically weak Arsenal team which of the top 6 sides are we supposed to beat?

Norwich lost to Burnley and Crystal Palace in the 2 games before beating Man City.

The problem against Arsenal was decisions (or lack thereof) in the second half causing us to sit deeper and deeper as players tired. We showed in the first half we have more than enough ability to give them a good game, we just need to stop dropping so many points from winning positions.

Also worth noting that the "historically weak Arsenal team" is ahead of three of last years top 6. Not too shabby to only be trailing Man City and Liverpool from that group. The only other team ahead of them, Leicester, are third in the form table since Rodgers took over (pretty sure this was the stat).

On 01/10/2019 at 13:38, villalad21 said:

If we can't beat a 10 man historically weak Arsenal team which of the top 6 sides are we supposed to beat?

Chelsea with their two wins in 20 years at VP?

Think we play majority of those at home after January transfer window so hopefully we can get another 2-3 good ones in January to really give them good games.

Probably doesn’t mean to much but interesting to see that on WhoScored we are around mid table for majority of stats such as possession, shots on goal, passing accuracy etc.  The only worrying one is we are second in shots conceded. 

End of the day it’s points that count but our performances and stats to date aren’t of a team that will go down.   I’d be a lot more worried if I was a Newcastle and Watford fan. 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

7 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Probably doesn’t mean to much but interesting to see that on WhoScored we are around mid table for majority of stats such as possession, shots on goal, passing accuracy etc.  The only worry one is we are second in shots conceded. 

End of the day it’s points that count but our performances and stats to date aren’t of a team that will go down.   I’d be a lot more worried if I was a Newcastle and Watford fan. 

I'm not sure how many shots were that, but I think most of them came at Spurs. 

1 hour ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

The most were against arsenal and palace. The stat can be a bit misleading though as many of the shots could be long range attempts. 

True. I believe the 'expected goals against' stat attempts to control for that, but I have no idea how we're doing on that measure. 

2 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

True. I believe the 'expected goals against' stat attempts to control for that, but I have no idea how we're doing on that measure. 

According to one site we’re 18th for expected goals and 14th for expected goals against. 

Expected points based on this puts us 18th.

Not sure how they calculate all this but I did think we’d be higher.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

I think spurs will batter Brighton. Can see united losing though. Clowns 

If we won, while Brighton, Toon, Soton, Everton and Wolves all loses, then I think we're in a very good position before the Brighton game. Then if we could win that again, I think we can play without pressure and show what this team can do.

I could see El Ghazi and Trez improving their performances too, Jack to score more. 

• Like 1

I still feel positive. For me things are going exactly as I predicted.  Nine totally new players 7 of which we expect to become starters always meant that we were in for a tough start.  We are currently 2 point lower than I hoped we would be 7 games in. For me 10 points in the first 10 games would be a good start all things considered. I expect us to steadily improve in results, team cohesion, and game management all through the season. I think we could pick up a few points at Christmas as I believe (as far as the bottom half of the leagues is concerned) we have good squad depth. September was always going to be our hardest month. Next three games will be quite important. 

• Like 1