Premier League 2019-2020 Thread

Enda

Playing without relegation seems pretty pointless, in that case you might as well just not play at all, but if there is an insistence that the league has to resume then you can understand those with a realistic chance of going down wanting the possibility of relegation removed, as playing at neutral grounds isn't a fair way of deciding the season, by the end some teams will have had more home games than others, and not everyone will have played the same teams home and away, so the final table won't be a reflection of how the table would have stood if everyone had have played an equal amount of games home and away as is the understanding before the start of every season.

Of course you could also say that isn't the a fair way of deciding the title or European qualificaiton either, but those teams haven't got as much to lose financially, and no doubt if they were near the bottom of the table in the same scenario they'd want the possibility of relegation removed as well. Purslow has said it's going to be seriously debated so we'll see.

the more I thought about it the more I can understand the logic behind no relegation

depending on what decision they finally make and when the clubs pushed the legal nuclear button the PL could have 3 - 6/7 claims from the teams in the bottom half and 4 or 5 from teams chasing European football, if football resumes as "normal" then you would still guess they get 3 legal claims from the 3 relegated teams and then 1 or 2 from teams missing out on Europe, take away the relegation and then it goes down to 1

if (and its a big if) man utd get the champions league and there is no relegation then the legal claim could be down to Sheffield Utd alone (who I would love it if we beat them and they end up 8th)

Pretty incredible. Looking like the Bundesliga really is getting back.

Based on that there is no reason to void anything anytime soon. Hope it goes well there.

I just want this season finished. If that means we'll get relegated we get relegated. We are Aston Villa and we don't hide, that's small club mentality. I don't want us to stay in the Premier League if we're not good enough to be here.

Edited by villalad21
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Pretty incredible. Looking like the Bundesliga really is getting back.

Based on that there is no reason to void anything anytime soon. Hope it goes well there.

I just want this season finished. If that means we'll get relegated we get relegated. We are Aston Villa and we don't hide, that's small club mentality. I don't want us to stay in the Premier League if we're not good enough to be here.

And if a few people get sick or even die along they way that's OK because at least you get to say I told you so if we get relegated?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, sne said:

And if a few people get sick or even die along they way that's OK because at least you get to say I told you so if we get relegated?

Footballers are among the fittest people in society.

Arteta recovered just fine and is most likely immune now.

But we'll just see how it goes in Germany before making any rash actions. If it goes well there there is no reason why the same can't be done in England in a months time or so.

Edited by villalad21

37 minutes ago, useless said:

Playing without relegation seems pretty pointless

I agree. As liverpool are so far ahead and have it in the bag already the relegation scrap would be the only thing of interest to the neutral punter.

I see purslow and smith not exactly singing off the same hym sheet. Smith says ready to play, purslow say hell no.

Even with home advantage the only way Villa will survive is cancellation. It was widely reported Smith was finished if we didn't beat chelsea.

I just hope that next seaons Purslow honours my food vouchers that I have from paying full whack at the liverpool game.

15 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Footballers are among the fittest people in society.

Arteta recovered just fine and is most likely immune now.

But we'll just see how it goes in Germany before making any rash actions. If it goes well there there is no reason why the same can't be done in England in a months time or so.

You mean other than the fact that Germany has handled this entire thing a lot better than the UK? 

The main thing from the Bundesliga will be the revised fixtures list, that will tell us the full nature of the problem, they can get it all done before 30th June, the PL definitely can't 

If no fans are allowed which is pretty obvious will be the case, surely the home advantage angle is void and it doesn't matter where the games are played.

For what it's worth I'm sick of it all the premier league, football in general and the insistence on playing through this at any costs.

It sold its soul many years ago and has been reaping the benefits and now the time has come to pay up. I had already fallen out of love with the game but this has pushed me over the edge I just don't care anymore

• Like 2

It's not just about footballers, resumption of the league will put the hundreds ofother people involved in games at risk as well, all of whom can go home and spread the virus to their families. Also footballers might be some of the fittest people in society but that should make them all the more wary of a virus that cause long lasting damage to the lungs, unless we're absolutely sure it's safe to resume they're risking their future fitness and therefore careers as professional footballers.

Then there's the affect it's going to have on society, crowds might not be allowed in stadiums but you will probably get more people meeting up to watch the games on televsion.

• Like 2

It's pretty obvious that Purslow will want no relegation on the table if football is to continue behind closed doors at neutral venues because that ensures we have another season amongst the fat cats next season. I'm guessing Smith as an ex footballer would see the honorary way of staying up as one where it has to be earnt on the pitch. 

Football as a whole will be broken for a while now, just like all other aspects of society. We are going through something that comes along very rarely. Nothing is normal so why would/should football be any different? 

It's a mess and I don't trust any of the money men to make the right decisions.

12 minutes ago, useless said:

Then there's the affect it's going to have on society, crowds might not be allowed in stadiums but you will probably get more people meeting up to watch the games on televsion.

Liverpool are about to win the league and the game is played at Anfield. Anyone that thinks there won't be thousands of Liverpool fans gathered in Stanley Park is dreaming. Remember Heysel and Hillsborough? 

Edited by Villarocker
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, R.Bear said:

If we can't get relegated, hey play the games in the middle of nowhere with no fans in empty stadiums. I dont care.

If we can get relegated, its a disgrace and a ridiculous threat to to the survival thousands of people which should be rejected on the strongest possible terms.

Nice to know you got your priorities right. 

2 minutes ago, OxfordVillan said:

Can someone just permanently suspend this clown please? We all love a bit of baiting banter from time to time, but Crusty here has just become an arse. #suspendcrusty 🤡 

Keep crusty! The baiting keeps the badgers safe from harm. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Villarocker said:

thousands of Liverpool fans gathered in Stanley Park is dreaming. Remember Heysel and Hillsborough? 

I'm sure I saw on a Villa video the team played in the champions league behind closed doors and a load of fans turned up to do the conga in the park opposite.

I will definatly be doing my essential shop at witton lane tesco that day and  a bit of excerising in that park.....the conga

Edited by screwdriver

Daily Mail have an 'exclusive' story today that the premier league are threatening to impose relegation on the bottom three if they oppose playing at neutral grounds, insisting that the best way for them to survive is to earn it on the pitch. If that's true, which of course it may not be, then it sounds like they're saying either the season goes ahead with relegation, or it will be decided on PPG.

Edited by useless
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, screwdriver said:

I agree. As liverpool are so far ahead and have it in the bag already the relegation scrap would be the only thing of interest to the neutral punter.

I see purslow and smith not exactly singing off the same hym sheet. Smith says ready to play, purslow say hell no.

Even with home advantage the only way Villa will survive is cancellation. It was widely reported Smith was finished if we didn't beat chelsea.

I just hope that next seaons Purslow honours my food vouchers that I have from paying full whack at the liverpool game.

Disagree completely. With 6 home games and winnable away games at NUFC & WHUFC, Villa are far from done for. We’re 2pts from safety with the game in hand, how you can say we’re relegated without cancellation is beyond comprehension.

• Like 2

Just now, OxfordVillan said:

Disagree completely. With 6 home games and winnable away games at NUFC & WHUFC, Villa are far from done for.

we've lost 5 straight games only divine intervention saved Smith.

1 minute ago, OxfordVillan said:

Disagree completely. With 6 home games and winnable away games at NUFC & WHUFC, Villa are far from done for. We’re 2pts from safety with the game in hand, how you can say we’re relegated without cancellation is beyond comprehension.

Exactly 

Its an incredibly unlikely scenario but we can lose the next 9 games win the 10th and stay up