Premier League 2019-2020 Thread

Enda

We've been horrible for a while.  Home and Away.

We were on the road for 20th. Norwich was starting to hit some form.

That being said. McGinn back could be a game changer for us, but other team will have injured important players back too.

Edited by villalad21

1 minute ago, screwdriver said:

we've lost 5 straight games only divine intervention saved Smith.

I wouldn’t disagree with that, we WERE on a spiral down at that point. We’re not anymore. Cup final run/loss long removed from the system now, and both players & manage had time to take stock and reflect/reset. I honestly think we’d much improved upon a restart, it’s basically 2nd season for a lot of our new overseas players.

10 minutes ago, useless said:

Daily Mail have an 'exclusive' story today that the premier league are threatening to impose relegation on the bottom three if they oppose playing at neutral grounds, insisting that the best way for them to survive is to earn it on the pitch.

The only way they could do that is by ending the season now, no more games, no more money, no CL for utd or Sheffield, hand Liverpool the title

There will be 6 clubs who vote no to that, empty threat

• Like 1

I think if you play then you have to have relegation.

I have no idea why the need to play on neutral grounds is so key to the Premier league in this - if you're going to play games at Villa Park anyway, why not let Villa play there?

Of course there's the chance that fans of teams will appear outside stadiums - and I'm guessing that's the main driver, but there are fans of clubs in cities all over the country and in fact if you're a Liverpool fan living in Birmingham, the hill in Aston Park might be the best chance you'll ever have to catch a glimpse of the team  - moving games to the neighbouring city won't make a lot of difference, it'll just increase the amount of time that the players will need to be together.

For the sake of playing only at half of the Premier league's grounds, the league are ready to threaten their own members with expulsion - it just seems an extremely strong position to take.

The grounds they want to use are:

• Old Trafford
  • Etihad Stadium
  • King Power Stadium
  • Villa Park
  • The Emirates
  • The London Stadium
  • St Mary's 
  • The Amex
  • Wembley

We'd play our "home" games in Leicester I guess - Manchester United would play in Liverpool and Liverpool in Manchester. It's preposterous - and when things in the Premier League seem preposterous, it's usually because someone somewhere is making money.

2 minutes ago, OxfordVillan said:

I wouldn’t disagree with that, we WERE on a spiral down at that point. We’re not anymore.

Unfortunatly nothing has changed. Smith is still the manager and the squad is still the same.

To stay up Villa needed to sack smith and get a new manager bounce. he'd tinkered with formations different players etc. he had nothing left. The players had stopped putting in a shift.

If it's cancelled now at least there is a transfer window we can buy better players. or get a better manager we cannot proceed and do nothing but expect things to get better after a few zoom calls.

2 minutes ago, screwdriver said:

Unfortunatly nothing has changed. Smith is still the manager and the squad is still the same.

To stay up Villa needed to sack smith and get a new manager bounce. he'd tinkered with formations different players etc. he had nothing left. The players had stopped putting in a shift.

If it's cancelled now at least there is a transfer window we can buy better players. or get a better manager we cannot proceed and do nothing but expect things to get better after a few zoom calls.

Well apart from our weakest position has our strongest player return from injury nothing has changed 

All teams outside  of Liverpool and Man City show good form and bad form throughout the season, if it was any other way results would be easy to predict, just because we'd lost four league games in a row that doesn't mean to say we'd continue losing games to that extent, form goes up and down, we lost four games in a row earlier in the season but still spent quite a bit of time outside the bottom three since then and at times showed good form. It's also worth remembering that two of those four teams were Leicester and Tottenham, and another was Southampton who were one of the form teams in the division when we played them.

Just now, villa4europe said:

Well apart from our weakest position has our strongest player return from injury nothing has changed 

he's not match fit,

The squad's in turmoil players headbutting each other.

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

The only way they could do that is by ending the season now, no more games, no more money, no CL for utd or Sheffield, hand Liverpool the title

There will be 6 clubs who vote no to that, empty threat

The problem is that 6 votes won’t be enough, 7 votes required to vote down proposals.

3 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

That incident still bugs me.

It was incredibly poorly handled by Dean.

How was it handled? 

What was said between Smith and the players? 

I'm interested in what you know

• Like 2

I wouldn't be surprised if we eneded up with a scenario where they restarted but then had to cancel again after a couple of games. If it does resume then it's important that we get off to a good start, need to be outside that bottom three if it does get stopped again.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, screwdriver said:

Nothing has changed?? McGinn will be back and at the same level of match fitness as anyone else. Even the much derided Drinkwater will now have the same level of match fitness as most. Ditto Keinan Davis. They are not insignificant changes, and they’re all positive changes. 

Just now, OxfordVillan said:

Nothing has changed?? McGinn will be back and at the same level of match fitness as anyone else. Even the much derided Drinkwater will now have the same level of match fitness as most. Ditto Keinan Davis. They are not insignificant changes, and they’re all positive changes. 

Mcginn is the magic wand?