Premier League 2019-2020 Thread

Enda

4 minutes ago, OxfordVillan said:

FWIW, if the season is to be completed then I think we’d need 7weeks to do it. Every club should have 2 weeks of training, followed by games every Saturday and Wednesday, perhaps culminating with a final super Sunday. The clubs with a game in hand would start a few days earlier and play the “game in hand” on the Wednesday before everyone else starts on the 1st Saturday back. If the timeframe available is any less than 7wks then the clubs should refuse. Any condensing of time to finish the season will invariably favour the bigger, stronger squad clubs. 

Yep. It's going to be a farce whatever happens as any game I've seen without a crowd has always decended into dull shit football but the least we can do is try and make it so players don't get injured 

6 hours ago, scarboro_villan said:

Clubs like Leicester & Newcastle have a certain aesthetic identity that, when the time comes, can instil enough supporter passion to enable them to win the league. Villa currently don't, even if we had a super-wealthy Saudi owner. Our fans are too nostalgic and seem to think a scrappy Peter Withe goal makes us better than the likes of Newcastle. Their future is now idyllic. 

As the second largest city in Britain, Villa should be the Celtic of England. But we just can't hack it. It's about character/identity, not traditions. 

Reads this and spits coffee out.

Newcastle have and never will be a big club. Good luck in persuading world class players moving to the North East.

Leicester's identity is that it is not Derby or Forest. If you change their seats colour in their stadium it could be any early 00's identikit plastic lego ground. Yuck.

I'd rather not copy Celtic  bigoted sectarian character  either. A two club league is now a one club league.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, scarboro_villan said:

Clubs like Leicester & Newcastle have a certain aesthetic identity that, when the time comes, can instil enough supporter passion to enable them to win the league. Villa currently don't, even if we had a super-wealthy Saudi owner. Our fans are too nostalgic and seem to think a scrappy Peter Withe goal makes us better than the likes of Newcastle. Their future is now idyllic. 

As the second largest city in Britain, Villa should be the Celtic of England. But we just can't hack it. It's about character/identity, not traditions. 

Just getting my coat.

I’ve mentioned this before and perhaps I’m wrong but surely there’s an elephant in the room on restarting the football season in that it’s a mandatory requirement to have an ambulance and paramedic team present and on standby only for the purpose of that football match and the players/staff taking part.

Given that there are what, close to 100 matches left to play how can they possible begin to justify allocating those resources to football matches and not suffer a severe backlash? 

Makes the possibility of restarting impossible in my view until our emergency services are back to what would be considered normal levels of capacity and usage, which may well go way beyond the summer.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Newcastle on the other hand have excellent support, home and away - in a small town their numbers are fantastic, the city looks like it's built around the football ground and the people reflect that feeling I think - they live in a bit of a Newcastle bubble at times and are prone to flights of fantasy - but that's neither a unique property or a bad one in a group of football supporters - dreamers aren't bad people. 

Yeah, they're a good bunch Newcastle fans (despite all the more recent silliness between Villa and Newcastle games and banners and what have you. While as a city Newcastle isn't so big, they have a huge catchment area all to themselves - Tyneside, Northumberland, Durham etc, Cumbria even...and that explains their level of support in the recent decades to a large extent. Most other areas of the Country with similar populations are split between multiple clubs.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, sidcow said:

Yes, playing behind closed doors is usually considered a PUNISHMENT. In this instance its purely a mechanism to claim the TV cash.  Nothing to do with fairness or integrity. 

If there's going to be any more football in pretty much next 12 months that's how it's going to have to happen I'm afraid.

We might not even get to play at VP remember, playing at St Georges Park v likes of Sheffield United and Wolves is still a bit possibility at this stage I reckon if the last 10 games can still get completed.

Really couldn't see that working for a full 20-21 season though.

24 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

I’ve mentioned this before and perhaps I’m wrong but surely there’s an elephant in the room on restarting the football season in that it’s a mandatory requirement to have an ambulance and paramedic team present and on standby only for the purpose of that football match and the players/staff taking part.

Given that there are what, close to 100 matches left to play how can they possible begin to justify allocating those resources to football matches and not suffer a severe backlash? 

Makes the possibility of restarting impossible in my view until our emergency services are back to what would be considered normal levels of capacity and usage, which may well go way beyond the summer.

Yep. In all the proposals put forward I don't think that's been adequately explained. Guess they're thinking if matches take place at SGP there's good medical facilities on site but ultimately a serious ACL or getting knocked out would mean a hospital visit and that's a big no in the current climate.

40 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Lets open with the bizarre selection of Leicester as one of the teams you've chosen to demonstrate the principles of identity and passion - 25,000 people in a soulless bowl  with some happy clappers and polite applause is possibly the strangest choice for that point I can imagine - I've never been to the rugby there, did you mean that? 

As an outsider looking in, which of these 2 aesthetics do you think your average Brit would rather follow? 

spacer.pngspacer.png

44 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

As for being Celtic, no thank you - I'd sooner we keep the traditions of a football club than the identity and "character" of either of the sectarian stalwarts of Glasgow - haters are bad people.

Their atmospheres are electric. Half the times I go to Villa Park it's like a library infused with groans and verbal abuse towards our own players. I know haters are bad: "S***ing on the city as we gooo". How sad. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, scarboro_villan said:

As an outsider looking in, which of these 2 aesthetics do you think your average Brit would rather follow? 

spacer.pngspacer.png

Their atmospheres are electric. Half the times I go to Villa Park it's like a library infused with groans and verbal abuse towards our own players. I know haters are bad: "S***ing on the city as we gooo". How sad. 

I don’t know what you are insinuating by those pics but I’ll give you the benefit of the doubt. You can find many pics of Villa players celebrating, from modern day Jack celebrating, the old semi final against Tranmere to Dalian and Deano against Wimbledon with the Umbrella (that’s iconic)

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, scarboro_villan said:

spacer.pngspacer.png

Two Villa Fans

Jack Wembley.JPG

Edited by nick76
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, nick76 said:

I don’t know what you are insinuating by those pics but I’ll give you the benefit of the doubt. You can find many pics of Villa players celebrating, from modern day Jack celebrating, the old semi final against Tranmere to Dalian and Deano against Wimbledon with the Umbrella (that’s iconic)

Sorry, I just wish Villa would get their image right. Kit, badge, North Stand, players (obviously Jack is great and exemplary of what I'm getting at), fans' attitude, etc. 

2 hours ago, scarboro_villan said:

Sorry, I just wish Villa would get their image right. Kit, badge, North Stand, players (obviously Jack is great and exemplary of what I'm getting at), fans' attitude, etc. 

The Holte End, inside and out.  How many non-Villa fans love our traditional stadium which gives us identity

The kit is unique....designs are loved by some Villa fans and some dislike but the colours are known 

North Stand.....one stand, that's all you got.  Our ground is consistently used for Semi-finals of the FA Cup.

Jack.....also England players like Mings and Heaton......McGinn is loved by Scotland.....Samatta by Tanzania, look at the mania over that.....you keep going.  

Away Villa fans are praised for their passion as one of the best away crowds in the premiership

Home crowds....atmospheres from the Everton this season etc

2 hours ago, OxfordVillan said:

FWIW, if the season is to be completed then I think we’d need 7weeks to do it. Every club should have 2 weeks of training, followed by games every Saturday and Wednesday, perhaps culminating with a final super Sunday. The clubs with a game in hand would start a few days earlier and play the “game in hand” on the Wednesday before everyone else starts on the 1st Saturday back. If the timeframe available is any less than 7wks then the clubs should refuse. Any condensing of time to finish the season will invariably favour the bigger, stronger squad clubs. 

Agreed, I also think that if the PL get what they want and we play these games, they need to introduce a strict rule (including points deductions for the following season) to be sure that clubs who are "on the beach" can't field weakened teams, that would gift wrap crucial points to their opponents. 

1 hour ago, nick76 said:

The Holte End, inside and out.  How many non-Villa fans love our traditional stadium which gives us identity

The kit is unique....designs are loved by some Villa fans and some dislike but the colours are known 

North Stand.....one stand, that's all you got.  Our ground is consistently used for Semi-finals of the FA Cup.

Jack.....also England players like Mings and Heaton......McGinn is loved by Scotland.....Samatta by Tanzania, look at the mania over that.....you keep going.  

Away Villa fans are praised for their passion as one of the best away crowds in the premiership

Home crowds....atmospheres from the Everton this season etc

I'll submit to some of your points. I suppose I was thinking of  the general image of Villa over the last 10-15 years, rather than the last couple of seasons. 

What disappoints me about our badge is that, when Randy took over, people were merely expressing a desire to return to the round badge that we had before Doug. 

Instead he put it to a vote of shapes, colours, etc. and came out with a mish-mash joke that many on here could've designed better. 

He could've at least had an artist design it to certain specs, or (my preference) simply return to the round badge. 

2 hours ago, scarboro_villan said:

spacer.png

2009-Birmingham-City-v-Aston-Villa-at-St

• Like 1