Premier League 2019-2020 Thread

Enda

1 hour ago, PaulC said:

One of the problems with voiding the league and having a 22 team Premier League would be that it would be hard to fit the extra games in in what is probably going to be a truncated season. 

That's a much easier problem than choosing who to go up to be honest.

10 hours ago, sheepyvillian said:

What's with the plural ?

Clubs like Leicester & Newcastle have a certain aesthetic identity that, when the time comes, can instil enough supporter passion to enable them to win the league. Villa currently don't, even if we had a super-wealthy Saudi owner. Our fans are too nostalgic and seem to think a scrappy Peter Withe goal makes us better than the likes of Newcastle. Their future is now idyllic. 

As the second largest city in Britain, Villa should be the Celtic of England. But we just can't hack it. It's about character/identity, not traditions. 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 2

2 hours ago, scarboro_villan said:

Clubs like Leicester & Newcastle have a certain aesthetic identity that, when the time comes, can instil enough supporter passion to enable them to win the league.

That’s by some way one of the wildest claims I’ve seen for a while, but each to their own.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, scarboro_villan said:

Playing behind closed doors ignores the purpose of football. That tribalistic atmospheric passion & emotion affects every player intrinsically. It's more than "a twelfth man". It's the whole meaning of football. Why did Ranieri win the League with Leicester? The fans made it happen, through atmospheric passion. Villa fans just don't get that. I wish I was a geordie. 

Yes, playing behind closed doors is usually considered a PUNISHMENT. In this instance its purely a mechanism to claim the TV cash.  Nothing to do with fairness or integrity. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, scarboro_villan said:

Clubs like Leicester & Newcastle have a certain aesthetic identity that, when the time comes, can instil enough supporter passion to enable them to win the league. Villa currently don't, even if we had a super-wealthy Saudi owner. Our fans are too nostalgic and seem to think a scrappy Peter Withe goal makes us better than the likes of Newcastle. Their future is now idyllic. 

As the second largest city in Britain, Villa should be the Celtic of England. But we just can't hack it. It's about character/identity, not traditions. 

Is this meant as a joke?! It’s like you’ve tried to write down the opposite of reality! 🤪

• Like 3

Even with the behind closed doors solution I think there are major risks. Every player will come into contact with a least maybe 40 people on a match day between leaving their house and getting back to their house at the end of the day. For a lot of the time they will be sweating, breathing hard, have a lot of physical contact etc.

Now lets say each team has a playing and coaching compliment of 30 for each match. That is 600 people. Then another 400 people involved in the running/operational side of match day across the league (yes these numbers are pulled out of the air but bear with me). What happens if just one of those people prove positive for COVID-19?. Based on the R0 numbers and contagion risk there are now a lot of people who would surely have to get tested in case of infection. Tests that would otherwise be used for NHS staff/ vulnerable individuals etc.  

I could also foresee the scenario where players simply refuse to put themselves in that position. These guys all have families and loved ones like you and I, and although we like to believe that they are all passionate about our game and our club, the truth is for many of them it is simply just a job. The man on the street isnt going to expose themselves unnecessarily just so their company can make money, and neither will some of these guys.

Mind you it would be fascinating to watch a televised BCD game just to hear the communication amongst the players and coaching staff etc. Imagine Sky trying to bleep out all the swearing lol

15 minutes ago, TheMelvillan said:

Even with the behind closed doors solution I think there are major risks. Every player will come into contact with a least maybe 40 people on a match day between leaving their house and getting back to their house at the end of the day. For a lot of the time they will be sweating, breathing hard, have a lot of physical contact etc.

Now lets say each team has a playing and coaching compliment of 30 for each match. That is 600 people. Then another 400 people involved in the running/operational side of match day across the league (yes these numbers are pulled out of the air but bear with me). What happens if just one of those people prove positive for COVID-19?. Based on the R0 numbers and contagion risk there are now a lot of people who would surely have to get tested in case of infection. Tests that would otherwise be used for NHS staff/ vulnerable individuals etc.  

I could also foresee the scenario where players simply refuse to put themselves in that position. These guys all have families and loved ones like you and I, and although we like to believe that they are all passionate about our game and our club, the truth is for many of them it is simply just a job. The man on the street isnt going to expose themselves unnecessarily just so their company can make money, and neither will some of these guys.

Mind you it would be fascinating to watch a televised BCD game just to hear the communication amongst the players and coaching staff etc. Imagine Sky trying to bleep out all the swearing lol

Plus as I keep saying whose going to own the liability if the player(s) become ill because they are put in this environment.  I'd be interested to see who will insure the players, how much and for how long.  We arent talking about the average Joe, these players are like assets.  Players arent going to play without insurance either and I wouldnt expect this environment to be covered under their current insurance risk profile.  Maybe somebody would insure them and maybe the fee isnt too big but maybe it is.

4 hours ago, scarboro_villan said:

Clubs like Leicester & Newcastle have a certain aesthetic identity that, when the time comes, can instil enough supporter passion to enable them to win the league. 

If every Club had a slogan this would be right up there.

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, PaulC said:

One of the problems with voiding the league and having a 22 team Premier League would be that it would be hard to fit the extra games in in what is probably going to be a truncated season. 

Agreed, but the PL are prepared to try to finish the current season in only a few weeks, so I doubt they would see playing 42 games over a significantly longer period as beyond them. It's only another 4 games during one season after all. Whatever decisions get taken there will inevitably be problems that result from them.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, scarboro_villan said:

Playing behind closed doors ignores the purpose of football. That tribalistic atmospheric passion & emotion affects every player intrinsically. It's more than "a twelfth man". It's the whole meaning of football. Why did Ranieri win the League with Leicester? The fans made it happen, through atmospheric passion. Villa fans just don't get that. I wish I was a geordie. 

Are you sure you're not?

5 hours ago, scarboro_villan said:

image.jpeg.7abc85014112a252ecb5e2589d455677.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

FWIW, if the season is to be completed then I think we’d need 7weeks to do it. Every club should have 2 weeks of training, followed by games every Saturday and Wednesday, perhaps culminating with a final super Sunday. The clubs with a game in hand would start a few days earlier and play the “game in hand” on the Wednesday before everyone else starts on the 1st Saturday back. If the timeframe available is any less than 7wks then the clubs should refuse. Any condensing of time to finish the season will invariably favour the bigger, stronger squad clubs. 

There's also a worry of a potential second-half of the virus spreading if we start to relax measures too soon.

Football should be a long-way down the list when it comes down to it and I'm glad the Eredivisie seem to have reacted appropriately and in accordance with logic. 

Spain has extended lockdown to May 10, I see the same happening here in the UK and we could be under lockdown for much longer.

6 hours ago, scarboro_villan said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52375947

Yes, Newcastle’s future does indeed look idyllic. 👌

• Haha 1